Sign in to follow this  

Take the god damn AI out of RaceNet Challenges!!!

The AI is ridiculous this week at Spa. That's one of my best tracks and you decide to give us a low downforce car on bicycle tires against and AI that intentionally swerves into you. Thats right. I Watched the Replay and the Damn AI swerves into you and Blocks you and wrecks you if possible. It would be different if the laws of physics actually applied but some how the AI cars carry more mass and therefore bounce the player off the tarmac. Then just for shits and giggles you put line penalties with 0 tolerance. @Loore if you are going to run AI at least set them at Hard instead of Easy. 

I accidentally just discovered another point in favor of removing (or ghosting) AI cars from RaceNet Challenges: their potential for exploitation...

...In one of this week's Time Attack RaceNet Challenges, I overshot my braking point & went into a turn too fast, but an AI car was slightly ahead of me on the outside, so my car bounced off the outside AI car & I was put right back on track, getting through the turn faster & shaving at least 2 tenths off my lap time - I would have gone way off the track had that AI car not been there.

I wish I could say I was skilled enough to have planned that - if I was, I'd surely be consistently getting better leaderboard spots in RaceNet Challenges. :smiley:  ...But I wouldn't be surprised if some players have already figured this out 
(along with other similar methods that I'm not devious enough to conceive) & have been using it to their advantage.

I'm not saying that racing skill is no contributing factor at all, but when the luck of inconsistent AI behavior combined with the potential for AI exploitation can have such heavy influences on outcomes, ranked RaceNet Challenges in Grid AutoSport are poorly designed contests in which leaderboards fail to offer a fair comparison among participants.

I wouldn't even bother with Grid AutoSport's RaceNet Challenges except for the fact that they are the only alternative I know of for earning in-game credits, other than online lobby racing. Online lobby racing can be fun, but more often than not (for me), it's just a mess of trolls & lag (other people's lag, usually not mine), along with a lot of inactive time spent staring at matchmaking screens & waiting for lobbies to start. If anybody knows any other legitimate & fun ways to earn in-game credits (without "boosting"), I'd be grateful for helpful pointers.

@Operator1 it's not just the idiots online, it's the payout. In the public lobbies, full room, come 1st and you get about 2,000xp depending on bonuses and anywhere between 10 & 20,000 credits in money. Not only do you get more xp & money in custom cups, no matter the settings (AI has to be on), you can get that every lap (1 lap races). As for Racenet, yeah, I think everyone exploits the AI in race events. For time attack, it will take skill, timing and luck, especially when it comes to the AI tanks spinning you at the smallest of touches

Wait, a 12 person race in playlist pays more than two humans and 10 AI in custom cup, and 12 humans in either event pays the same. The payouts are pretty much identical, unless there's AI involved, but you can still make more money in playlist if the room is full.

I don't even run the ai event races! All it does it promote bad racing! I refuse to smash the ai off the road or cut corners to get a fastest race time!

TUSMBOX said:
Wait, a 12 person race in playlist pays more than two humans and 10 AI in custom cup, and 12 humans in either event pays the same. The payouts are pretty much identical, unless there's AI involved, but you can still make more money in playlist if the room is full.
You do get more in Custom Cup and you get a better difficulty bonus. I use Automatic, ABS and everything else off. In playlist, my difficulty bonus is 18% in Custom Cup its anywhere between 30 and 45% depending on AI difficulty

That's just the difficulty multiplier. If there isn't enough humans in the custom cup, it won't offset a more popular playlist lobby. Most people run very easy AI anyway.

Maybe that's it then, I've only played Custom with Very Hard or Hard AI. Like I said with XP, in Custom Cup with 3 others and hard AI, I was getting between 3 & 4000 xp. Last night in a full Touring Lobby, max I was getting was 2500 xp.

Here's my example . custom cup 2 humans and 10 ai with ai on easy damage on collisions off gives on average between 3200 - 3500 xp for 1st place. regular playlist with 12 players 2nd place gave me 3600 earlier not sure bout 1st as I didn't get it . so my theory is u get more xp in playlist than custom cup but you can level up faster in custom cup running 1 lap races which I do for a couple hrs Maybe 3 times a week other
 days I'm in regular rooms.

How are people getting more xp than me? I'm lucky to get 3000 xp in a full lobby with clean race, underdog and 1 to watch bonuses

Next time I play, I'll look closely at what I get. I don't know if it'll be that much, but whatever it is on average, I'll let you know.