Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[PC] Please please please add support for TrackIR!

Purchased the game through Steam on Aug 20.  Played it for about an hour and am very happy with everything that the game is doing.  Graphics look great, wheel support is great (Logitech G27).  Looking forward to racing against my friends, all of whom have wheels and TrackIR headsets.  The only thing missing is TrackIR support.   I've talked to NaturalPoint (makers of TrackIR) and they say that adding support has to be done on the Codemasters side.  

This game would be just amazing with TrackIR.  We all play F1 2014 and Assetto Corsa, and we've been waiting for F1 2016.  It's soooo close to being great....  just add the TrackIR!

Thanks!

agreed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If cm doesn't add it themselves, it would be welcome if they could tell us how to mod it to support it

Mod it to Support it?
Seems you are not Aware that for this "mod" the C++ Code from Codemasters is needed?
How should this work? Disassemble the F1-2016.exe and a few DLLs, then do a Little reverse Engineering, threw the few lines for TrackIR into Visual Studio and compile a new F1-2016TIR.exe?

I'm wondering if there is a current engine limitation that is preventing them from easily adding it. It would also help explain why there is no VR this year (which was very surprising to me). 

I believe Dirt Rally uses the same engine and it has full VR support.  No, codemasters just being too lazy to implement it.  Racing without VR is pointless once you've tried it.

plucka said:
I believe Dirt Rally uses the same engine and it has full VR support.  No, codemasters just being too lazy to implement it.  Racing without VR is pointless once you've tried it.
The engines were forked at some point. I read this in a recent article. I wish I had the source...

Everything else is just assumption on my part. If it was easy I can't see how they'd skip it two years in a row... and VR being what it is, launching without even some beta support is puzzling. 

OK I can understand that it's a new 3D engine, Apparently Dirt Rally uses the 2.1 ego egnine while F1 2015 / 2016 use the 3.0 version.
Still we would appreciate an answer more elaborate than Lozzy's one-liners for F1 2015 and 2016 :
'TrackIR is not supported, sorry/' (loosely quoted)

Don't get me wrong devs, I appreciate the straightforward answer, but it falls a little short when every other sim racing PC game offers this feature.

If other devs can do it, why can't you ? Actually 3 DOFs (degrees of freedom) would even suffice for this game to make us happy: yaw / pitch / roll. That can't be that hard to implement, can it?

even flight simulator X from the 90s supports trackIR, why doesn't a racing game from 2016?

plucka said:
its not exactly the same engine, a lot of the internals work differently, wich is a reason, i assume, that ffb works with different options too.

Sometimes supporting something or adding a feature is less a case of can we do it and more a case of where does it lie in the list of priorities.

BBFred said:
OK... I'll bite... So where does TrackIR lie in the list?  o:)
Before Screen Tearing, after Custom Helmet jobs.