Jump to content Jump to content

Mandatory tyre rules

WestHam66

Yes, one of the three compounds is absolutely mandatory, that means you have to use this regardless which other compound you choose as second tyre. The second rule is, that you have to use at least two of the three given compounds.
Example: The tyre allocation offers you soft (yellow), supersoft (red) and ultrasoft (purple), and shows the soft as mandatory, you have to use yellow AND either red or purple in the race at least one time each.

You have to use one of the mandatory tyres during a race, so if you have US, SS and S where SS and S is mandatory you have to use one of those compounds during the race! If the race start is wet, and you starts on Inters or wet you can choose whatever you want afterwards, so if it is a wet race you can do all of your stints on wet tyres.  

Taken from another tyre regulation thread I posted in explaining this issue.

Xyadas said:
In summary:
  • You get 13 sets of tyres for each weekend. You select your weekend allocation on the menus before going to the paddock prior to FP1.
  • You give up your two most worn sets of tyres after each free practice session. A total of 6 sets will be handed back before qualifying.
  • If you make it to Q3, you will start the race on whichever set you used to post your fastest lap in Q2. The mandatory set in Q3 will be handed back. If you fail to make Q3 you get to keep that set for the race.
  • During the race, you must use at least two different tyre compounds AND use at least one of the mandatory sets.
That last point is VERY important and can catch you out if you aren't careful as some people have been confused by. If you make it into Q3, you start the race on whatever set you used to post your fastest time in Q2. If this happens to be the same compound as one of the mandatory sets, IT DOES NOT COUNT AS YOUR MANDATORY SET.

Example: Available compounds are ultrasoft (Purple), supersoft (Red) and soft (Yellow). The two mandatory sets are both supersoft. If you made it into Q3 using supersofts, that does not count as using a mandatory set during the race since you will start on those supersofts. Why? The real life tyre sets are barcoded so Pirelli know who's doing what with sets. So yes, there is a difference between sets of tyres even if they are the same compound. The game will pick that up.

TLDR: Each tyre set is unique. It is not simply enough to use the compounds that are mandatory. You have to actually use a mandatory set of tyres in the race. Which means if you make it out of Q2 on a set of tyres that is the same compound as a mandatory set and thus start on that set, it is NOT the same as using a mandatory set.

Xyadas said:

Xyadas said:
In summary:
  • You get 13 sets of tyres for each weekend. You select your weekend allocation on the menus before going to the paddock prior to FP1.
  • You give up your two most worn sets of tyres after each free practice session. A total of 6 sets will be handed back before qualifying.
  • If you make it to Q3, you will start the race on whichever set you used to post your fastest lap in Q2. The mandatory set in Q3 will be handed back. If you fail to make Q3 you get to keep that set for the race.
  • During the race, you must use at least two different tyre compounds AND use at least one of the mandatory sets.
That last point is VERY important and can catch you out if you aren't careful as some people have been confused by. If you make it into Q3, you start the race on whatever set you used to post your fastest time in Q2. If this happens to be the same compound as one of the mandatory sets, IT DOES NOT COUNT AS YOUR MANDATORY SET.

Example: Available compounds are ultrasoft (Purple), supersoft (Red) and soft (Yellow). The two mandatory sets are both supersoft. If you made it into Q3 using supersofts, that does not count as using a mandatory set during the race since you will start on those supersofts. Why? The real life tyre sets are barcoded so Pirelli know who's doing what with sets. So yes, there is a difference between sets of tyres even if they are the same compound. The game will pick that up.

TLDR: Each tyre set is unique. It is not simply enough to use the compounds that are mandatory. You have to actually use a mandatory set of tyres in the race. Which means if you make it out of Q2 on a set of tyres that is the same compound as a mandatory set and thus start on that set, it is NOT the same as using a mandatory set.
So it's best to use the fastest tyre in Q2 in order to be in line with the rules? If this is US then the mandatory SS is available for the race without penalty?

You just have to pit and switch to one of the two mandatory tyre sets during the race. 

Then, of course, you must also use two different tyre compounds, so if starting on softs, you can't just switch to a mandatory soft set and drive till the end of the race. 

Best is relative to your race strategy. So lets use Monaco for example.

Mandatory race sets are SS and S. Say you advance to Q3 by setting your fastest lap in Q2 on SS. So you start the race on that same set of SS which is NOT the mandatory set of SS designated by Pirelli. So here are all the possible stint combinations that would clear the two compound and one mandatory set regulations for the race: (! - designates the mandatory set)
SS - S!
SS - SS! - US
SS - US - SS!
SS - SS! - S!
SS - S! - SS!
SS - US - S!
SS - S! - US

Or you can advance to Q3 by setting your fastest lap on US which opens up the 1 stop strategies of:
US - SS!
US - S!

And in the very unlikely event you advance to Q3 by setting your fastest lap on S then this is your 1 stop strategy:
S - US!

• 2 weeks later...
Before the race chose a hard balance (two super soft, two soft and two medium). To qualify for the 19 spot. At the start of the chosen soft in the race I put the medium but shortly before the finish had the information about the disqualification. I had to call and put another medium.

Question. When I put on the first pit stop, a medium, a medium which I put? Mandatory or a spare?

Italy. Balance - hard.

I drove offline with bots race 50%. Qualify missed. Launched on mediums on lap 15 put the soft on it and finished.

A similar case online. He qualifies for the soft, on-site 19. Launched on mediums on lap 15 put the soft and at the end of the race I would like DSK, I had to call again and again to put the medium. Bug 100% !!!

I always use one of the two strategies offered at the start of the race and never had a problem, sometimes adding another pitstop because I play on lower then my potential difficulty. Xyadas explains everything in detail, I found also useful this: https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/tyres-and-wheels.html

sizw17 said:
I always use one of the two strategies offered at the start of the race and never had a problem, sometimes adding another pitstop because I play on lower then my potential difficulty. Xyadas explains everything in detail, I found also useful this: https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/tyres-and-wheels.html
LOL. read what you write:
Italy. Balance - hard.

I drove offline with bots race 50%. Qualify missed. Launched on mediums on lap 15 put the soft on it and finished.

A similar case online. He qualifies for the soft, on-site 19. Launched on mediums on lap 15 put the soft and at the end of the race I would like DSK, I had to call again and again to put the medium. Bug 100% !!!

OK, i get p7 in Q2 on SS and nurse the tyres to the box. Q3 goes through, i use a different set of SS to post a time. Race begins, and the strategy window offers me to begin on mediums. Also, there are 2 or 3 cars in top10 who also start on M or S, though I'm pretty sure the q2 times were set on SS by everyone.
Xbox, Career, Bahrein, full Q, 100%, no rain obv
Is it me or is it a bug?

Xyadas said:

Xyadas said:
In summary:
  • The two mandatory sets are both supersoft. If you made it into Q3 using supersofts, that does not count as using a mandatory set during the race since you will start on those supersofts. Why? The real life tyre sets are barcoded so Pirelli know who's doing what with sets. So yes, there is a difference between sets of tyres even if they are the same compound.
1 simple questin: In real F1 driver can take Q2 on Mandatrory barcoded set and start on it? So it will count?

ReikoRaph said:
Explain it please,
Body is 22 characters too short.

As I see it, three compunds on the right (SS-S-M) are reserved for the race, so you can't use SS 6/6 or M3/3 in qualification.
One the other hand, S 3/4 and SS 3-5/6 are reserved for qualification, and if you plan on using harder tyres in qualification you should choose harder allocation before the week-end.
Not sure whether it is exactly true in real F1.

ReikoRaph said:
Xyadas said:

Xyadas said:
In summary:
  • The two mandatory sets are both supersoft. If you made it into Q3 using supersofts, that does not count as using a mandatory set during the race since you will start on those supersofts. Why? The real life tyre sets are barcoded so Pirelli know who's doing what with sets. So yes, there is a difference between sets of tyres even if they are the same compound.
1 simple questin: In real F1 driver can take Q2 on Mandatrory barcoded set and start on it? So it will count?
You can only touch the 2 mandatory race sets during the race, never before.

Also, the mandatory set in Q, is only mandatory for Q3.

Archived