Jump to content Jump to content

Screen Tearing - PS4

hardbaked

It is actually the other way around, tearing is caused by frame rates where the 60 fps target can't be held. Maybe Codies should have opted for a 900p frame buffer instead, which would probably have given them room for a more elegant anti-aliasing implementation while still staying much closer to the targeted 60 fps.
Anyway, lets hope they put some effort on optimizing some of the tracks.

I can live with some frame drops and tearing during hectic moments, race starts, weather transitions and similar. What makes me annoyed is that there are parts of most circuits where the frame rate drops consistently for no obvious reason. To examplify, the part between turn 5 and turn 6 in Melbourne gives a constant frame rate drop regardless of condition i.e. even if you do time trial, mid day in clear conditions. And as this part (one of many) does not appear to be at all complex or more complex than other parts, i get the impression the game has just not been properly optimized, which is a great shame.

With F1 2016 it appears Codemaster has a much better baseline in terms bugs compared to many previous iterations of the serie. Hopefully this could give them some room to improve the performance. Fingers crossed!

Having done time trial on Most tracks now, it looks like there is a clear correlation between amount trees and consistent frame rate drop,  Montreol, Spa, Monza, turn 5-6 Melbourne, parts of Austria etc...

Codemasters, please try to sort this. (PS4)

TE23 said:
Have you turned off any picture processing setting on your tv ? That worked for somebody, he had 200hz motion enhancer on, swithed it off then it was much better
All things like these turned off... as long the frame rate drops in straight line parts you obviously don't really notice the tearing that much as the frame to frame delta is much lesser compared to when turning, but the frame rate drops are very much there. Just try tmy Melbourne example, pretty much solid all around except the straight between turn 5 and 6 (which is populated by trees). If you don'y feel the frame rate drop, try turning left and right in this area and heavy tearing will appearent. 

• 1 month later...
Concentration on the track and cars is very difficult when the screen is tearing apart. Monaco..... unplayable for your eyes cause every corner is tearing up. Even large tracks with no trees etc have this problem. China, first long corner, when the start/finish building is in the screen during this corner its teared up.

it sucks :(

• Codemasters Staff
I have raised this issue internally but the short answer is it's very, very complicated and improvements take a lot of time and carry significant risk. I will try to find out if there are any safe, simple improvements we can make to try to make things better but I certainly can't make any promises I'm afraid.

Lozzy said:
I have raised this issue internally but the short answer is it's very, very complicated and improvements take a lot of time and carry significant risk. I will try to find out if there are any safe, simple improvements we can make to try to make things better but I certainly can't make any promises I'm afraid.
What risks? And shouldn't this have been fixed (or made sure it doesn't happen) properly before release or has it come after the upgrades?

After I have played spa for almost the whole weekend I have to say that the framerate and the screen tearing has gotten way worse since I have played the beta.

The game seems to be running below 50 fps even in time trial mode. The tearing in sector 2 is immense, very distracting.

I am running the xbox version v.1.5.1. The game is stored on an external drive.

Lozzy said:
Montreol could be a good starting point. Runs good enough down the two straights but as soon you passed first hairpin it drops signficantly all way down to the hairpin prior to the straights, even in dry time trial. There just has to be some unnecessary objects lifting going on here.

Lowering clip plane does not affect anything at all...

Ps4 @Lozzy

The only tear i have seen is upon exiting the stadium section in Mexico, i have not seen anything else and iam in season 2 on ps4. Its weird as alot of people are reporting a screen tearing issue but iam not getting them, iam not complaining but is different for everybody it sounds.

Archived