Sign in to follow this  

DiRT Forum Competition - The Setup

I have Dirt and Dirt 3 for PC with a similar wheel an trips setup (no gauges though and thats a real nice setup you got there Avenga76 along with the skills to justify the costs dude). I prefered Dirt 3's gymkhana freeroam to racing as I loved doing this sort of thing waaaayyy too much. 

(Replay recording)
http://youtu.be/_JVbI4WtISM

Or gymkhana events. (live gameplay recording into full replay) 
http://youtu.be/AUD4ohZ-xVY

Having said that I did enjoy making this Monte Carlo Rally one, (Replay recording) psssst turn up the bass on this one :D 
http://youtu.be/LAso3TDYGUc

Love the idea though Lee, I was once a member of the Grid 1 Electronic Sports League Grid 1 touring car cup, where I rapidly learned my driving isn't quite as good as I thought :)

Also took part in the E.S.L.'s one on one Grid 1 drift ladder and got as high as second place before drifting just for the points lost it's appeal and sheer hooniganism took over.

In answer to your questions though.

1) I'd consider taking part (depending on how I shape up after not playing for a while lol).

2) Dirt and Dirt 3.

3) Whatever name dude, it's the racing that matters most innit?

There is a slight problem I can foresee, control methods used, wheels have an advantage over controllers, controllers over keyboards (usually, Yes I'm talking to you Zappac lol).

No-one using auto gears on a controller will enjoy being pwnd by some using a wheel on a rig like mine or Avenga's masterpiece above. Wouldn't leagues be better (given the numbers to allow it)? Bit like G2's global challenges but split into wheel/controller auto/manual divisions?

Too complicated?

I have Dirt and Dirt 3 for PC with a similar wheel an trips setup (no gauges though and thats a real nice setup you got there Avenga76 along with the skills to justify the costs dude). I prefered Dirt 3's gymkhana freeroam to racing as I loved doing this sort of thing waaaayyy too much. 

Thanks. You have awesome skills your self. I had seen your Mini Gymkhana video before on youtube and you have amazing car control, and your Monte Carlo run looked real quick.

There is a slight problem I can foresee, control methods used, wheels have an advantage over controllers, controllers over keyboards (usually, Yes I'm talking to you Zappac lol).

No-one using auto gears on a controller will enjoy being pwnd by some using a wheel on a rig like mine or Avenga's masterpiece above. Wouldn't leagues be better (given the numbers to allow it)? Bit like G2's global challenges but split into wheel/controller auto/manual divisions?

I had a quick try at this because I wanted to see how much of an advantage my rig gives me vs keyboard.

I tested it on Dirt 2, Hairpin run. On my rig I could get a 1:51 easily. With keyboard the best I could get was a 1:55. I tried both Auto and Manual with the keyboard and with both I could only get a 1:55.

I am sure with practice I could shave a second or two off my keyboard time, but with that much practice I could probably shave the same amount of time off my rig time. 

4 seconds over a stage that short is pretty significant. On some of the longer stages that gap would grow even larger.

Hey lee just seen your doppelganger on youtube maybe your "Willin" to put in good prizes this time, Still waiting for my large t-shirt i won :~)

Hey lee just seen your doppelganger on youtube maybe your "Willin" to put in good prizes this time, Still waiting for my large t-shirt i won :~)

The white DiRT shirt? I thought you had that arrive already? I could have swore you posted a photo up of it.

Lee the t-shirt was too small for my large frame remember , How do you use youtube vids on here

Copy the link from YT and paste it in, the vid will appear when you post the comment, mine did :)

Lee the t-shirt was too small for my large frame remember , How do you use youtube vids on here

PM me your address and I'll sort it out on monday

Heres a couple of vids from when i was doing my own custom skins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lV-M7HI_To&list=UUhGgwgfJx6NACZ_UT6ZeGnw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LywXdA8BCE&list=UUhGgwgfJx6NACZ_UT6ZeGnw

sorry bout quality not got the best equipment yet.

1. Yes
2. DiRT 2 or 3 on PS3
3. DRC sounds good

I really like to drive, but I don't know if I am good enough to be paired with another competitor. Would it be possible to compete solo?

Cool, all I need now is a team mate...

Looking for mature mate who enjoys short drives in the countryside, silly games and the occasional crowded drive round in circles.

Interested parties pm me

:)

Oooooh, wanna Pommie team mate? If it sweetens the deal, we used to have a blue Avenger. No, really, we did. Until my Mum decided to teach the next door neighbour how to drive. She got the brake and accelerator mixed up and steamed straight into a concrete bollard. Smashed the radiator and cracked the engine block. My Mum somehow managed to drive the plucky little bugger home. When she pulled up outside our house it gave a shudder, and died.

My  Dad wasn't impressed, he'd only had it resprayed a couple of weeks before.