Sign in to follow this  

Formula E Thread

Not surprising really, as it said there, viewing figures were very poor and have been declining the last two years.

Just look at the viewing figures when they live stream on YouTube. Qualifying for London only had about 2,000 viewers. It's such a shame because the racing in the championship is fantastic and really exciting, and the technology behind it is amazing, it needs to just be promoted a bit more somehow.

Really? I thought Jaime Alguersuari's dress sense alone would have attracted at least 60% of the UK.

Mexicola said:
Really? I thought Jaime Alguersuari's dress sense alone would have attracted at least 60% of the UK.
The trouble is Jennie Gow in general makes 45% of them skip to the next channel.

Channel 5 have gained the UK TV rights for this season and Martin Haven is going to commentate on at least the first race: https://f1broadcasting.co/2016/09/27/formula-e-season-three-lead-commentator/

Hmm, Martin Haven... Although at least it's not John Hindhaugh. I can't stand the bloke.

I had to listen to the Singapore Grand Prix last weekend on BBC Radio 5 Live, as it wasn't live on Sky Sports and the new WiFi I have at uni is a pile of poo, so I couldn't stream it either.

I knew this from watching all the Formula E, but this weekend confirmed it for me. Sky Sports desperately need to sign up Jack Nicholls as their lead commentator, as soon as possible. I know it's the entire point of radio commentary, but I understood the complexion of the race so clearly despite having no live timing or screens for reference. The way he described the battles between Verstappen and Kvyat for example, I could picture it perfectly in my head, and sure enough, when I watched the highlights back, it was as if I had seen it in my head already.

Also his delivery is so on point. He never stuttered once, he gets excited at the right moments, doesn't get the viewer over excited at the wrong moments (like a certain David Croft does when it's blindingly obvious the car coming out of the pit lane won't make out in front of the next car, yet he tries to work it up into a close battle, despite them being about 5 seconds apart on track).

Jack Nicholls would be a huge asset to Sky Sports, and a breath of fresh air. He's only about 26 or something too, and he commentates as if he's been doing it for years and years.

So, this is a thing; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSqPj3gdBBw                                                

He was ok. Just, ok. Not bad, not good.

But a bit of a mad race, Buemi deserved it because they absolutely nailed the strategy in the Safety Car period. Bird wouldn't have got out in front anyway, despite the problem he had starting the car, they should have pitted Bird with Buemi and co.

MBKF1 said:

But a bit of a mad race, Buemi deserved it because they absolutely nailed the strategy in the Safety Car period. Bird wouldn't have got out in front anyway, despite the problem he had starting the car, they should have pitted Bird with Buemi and co.
Definitely not good :p He made quite a lot of mistakes, and got super excited at the smallest little thing. Franchitti came across as being a seasoned commentator while Haven just seemed to trip over himself quite often. Such a shame to not have Jack Nicholls any more, but at least we may have him as a lead commentator for F1 eventually now.

The race was good though, Buemi was great, and having him and di Grassi as top 2 hopefully means they'll resume the fight they had last year :) And even though this is unsporting, I was laughing at Piquet buggering up his lead from Lopez going into the wall :p

MBKF1 said:

Definitely not good :p He made quite a lot of mistakes, and got super excited at the smallest little thing. Franchitti came across as being a seasoned commentator while Haven just seemed to trip over himself quite often. Such a shame to not have Jack Nicholls any more, but at least we may have him as a lead commentator for F1 eventually now.

The race was good though, Buemi was great, and having him and di Grassi as top 2 hopefully means they'll resume the fight they had last year :) And even though this is unsporting, I was laughing at Piquet buggering up his lead from Lopez going into the wall :p
He must be related to David Croft, the king of getting over excited over nothing! :p Dario has been fantastic in the commentary box the last couple of years, and as you say, it's as if he's been doing it for years and years, a real pro.

You weren't the only one laughing! I thought it was pretty funny how at the time, Lopez's crash caused his team mate, Sam Bird, to take the lead of the race under a safety car period... sound familiar?!

Unfortunately for Bird the lead didn't last, but still, hahahahahaha Piquet, as they say, what goes around comes around!

Anybody else watching the Formula E eRace? 20 Formula E drivers vs 10 of the worlds best sim racers on a virtual track of Las Vegas :) Think the quali race starts about 11:20, and the main race is at midnight.

https://www.twitch.tv/eleaguetv

Lukedfrt said:

Anyone catch the race on Saturday? Well worth a watch :smiley:

It was pretty damn crazy :) Though I was a little disappointed with the result. After his antics at the final race of last season, I've not been able to look at di Grassi without thinking of him as a dirty cheater.

Yeah i know what you mean, hopefully the rest of the season is as entertaining as that though! The races are every few weeks now which is good, rather than over a month apart.

It is pretty amazing that Di Grassi was able to come back from being dead last to win the race, although he was pretty lucky in it.

Gutierrez scored his first point in any racing series since the 2013 Japanese Grand Prix. 3 years, 5 months and 20 days ago at the time of the E-race.

If there is anyone I dislike, then it's Prost, who seems to drive around like an idiot everytime I watch a FE-race.

Cracking race, such a shame that so many have just rubbished Formula E based on its format and gimmicks, because the actual racing is superb.

I am still amazed that Di Grassi managed to hold off to win that, clearly helped by d'Ambrosio, he wouldn't have done it otherwise, but what an amazing gamble to pit early.

Yeah what is Prost doing in the series, absolutely no match for Buemi, just there because of his dad. Give that seat to a young talent, would be far better.

Is Heidfeld perhaps the unluckiest driver in the series? Or is he the most insane for still trying to race fairly with Prost? Little Prost is as bad as a certain Venezuelan, if not worse.

Is Heidfeld perhaps the unluckiest driver in the series? Or is he the most insane for still trying to race fairly with Prost? Little Prost is as bad as a certain Venezuelan, if not worse.

Wasn't Heidfeld on course for his first single seater-win since the turn of the... fucking millenium until Prost breaktested his ass?

Very first Formula E race yeah. Was going to overtake him at the final corner on the final lap and Prost was like "lol nope" and swerved into him like a typical online player would. He's a moron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG1VPss4LKI

Ah yeah, a nice classic. Nepotism, it's a beautiful thing, isn't it?

And Di Grassi just enforces my opinion of him being a dirty racer. Looks like he's just rammed Da Costa into the wall out of pure frustration of not being able to overtake.

I've never supported him either, the past 2 years I've always supported Buemi for the championship. I still think he deliberately hit Buemi last year in London too.

Now he's lost his Audi WEC drive, Formula E is now his full focus, he's probably still frustrated at the whole Audi situation I expect!

MBKF1 said:

I've never supported him either, the past 2 years I've always supported Buemi for the championship. I still think he deliberately hit Buemi last year in London too.

Now he's lost his Audi WEC drive, Formula E is now his full focus, he's probably still frustrated at the whole Audi situation I expect!

Buemi from the start of FE for me :) It was devastating to watch Piquet Jr win it in the first season. Definitely agreed on last season though, it was so glaringly obvious.

He's frustrated at many things it seems! His comments after as well blaming Da Costa and saying that he clearly forgot how to race are just ridiculous. The guy is the Maldonado of FE but with far more ego. I'm very disappointed that the stewards have decided to do nothing over this incident as well. They seem far too relaxed on what seem to be deliberate acts.