Sign in to follow this  

What would u recommend for a starter wheel for the Xbox 360?

Hi, i currently use no wheel at the moment but i would like to upgrade to a wheel but i'd like a decent wheel but also reasonably cheap and can still buy them.
I was thinking of this wheel http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1283613.htm but i got told that f1 2013 doesnt support this wheel :( i do like this wheel but if it doesnt work with f1 2013 or any f1 games then i doubt i'll be getting it.
Please help n give me some suggestions :)

The Madcatz MC2. 

http://store.madcatz.com/categories/MC2-Racing-Wheel-for-Xbox-360-REFURB.html?search=previously+played

The Madcatz MC2. 

http://store.madcatz.com/categories/MC2-Racing-Wheel-for-Xbox-360-REFURB.html?search=previously+played
ok cheers for the suggestion, it does have flappy paddle shifters on this wheel right? they look so small :/

The best starter wheel is definitely the Microsoft Wireless FF wheel if you are able to pick one up on ebay. I now have owned the MS FF wheel, Fanatec CSR and Fanatec CSR Elite and although the difference is very noticeable on games such as Forza and WRC there is very little difference on F1. The degrees of rotation is perfect for an F1 title and the feedback from the game is not detailled enough to notice the better quality motors and belts on the Fanatec range.

mgmikeyt said:
The best starter wheel is definitely the Microsoft Wireless FF wheel if you are able to pick one up on ebay. I now have owned the MS FF wheel, Fanatec CSR and Fanatec CSR Elite and although the difference is very noticeable on games such as Forza and WRC there is very little difference on F1. The degrees of rotation is perfect for an F1 title and the feedback from the game is not detailled enough to notice the better quality motors and belts on the Fanatec range.
ok cool, does it work with F1 2013 tho? and is this it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Official-Genuine-Microsoft-Xbox-360-Force-Feedback-Wireless-Speed-Steering-Wheel-/191126779864?pt=UK_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item2c800b37d8 

Yes, that's the one, and it's officially supported in 2013. It was a great piece of kit for the money, so you still have to pay reasonable amounts for them second hand unfortunately.

Incidentally, if you're tempted by a MadCatz Force Feedback wheel (not the MC2 that @IcemanFan7 suggested, which doesn't have FF), I'd say think twice -- they're also supported in F1 2013, and they're not bad (it a little overpriced) when they work, but they're *very* prone to breaking.

@scottishwildcat cheers for the suggestion, yeah i don't particularly want a wheel thats gonna break or not work after a couple of months :P 
I will say i do like the Fanatec CSR wheel and pedal set (which is a very nice wheel but i know its very pricey and i would need a wheel stand with the package as i havent really got any room for a desk) and also @Tiametmarduk uses that wheel now which u can see in his 25k setup video he went from the MC2 wheel aswell

I purchased the Microsoft Wireless FF wheel last year on Amazon(slightly used for about $150) for F1 2012 and have been using it on F1 2013 also. I can't say how many hours I used it on 2012(a lot) and just started using it again on 2013. I have had zero problems with this wheel and enjoy it immensely. Hopefully there will be a wheel equally as good(and affordable) eventually for Xbox One.

@scottishwildcat cheers for the suggestion, yeah i don't particularly want a wheel thats gonna break or not work after a couple of months :P 
I will say i do like the Fanatec CSR wheel and pedal set (which is a very nice wheel but i know its very pricey and i would need a wheel stand with the package as i havent really got any room for a desk) and also @Tiametmarduk uses that wheel now which u can see in his 25k setup video he went from the MC2 wheel aswell
You don't necessarily need a stand for the CSR--I have mine bolted to a beanbag laptop tray from Ikea, and I just use it sitting on the sofa!

@scottishwildcat yeah i kno i dont have to have a wheel stand but personally i'd prefer it to a desk etc. because my tv isnt on a mount or anything like that for the perfect wheel setup, its raised on shelve wadrobe thingys from Ikea :P

I'd imagine the Microsoft wheel would connect to just about any flat surface. It has and adjustable clamp that that would open enough to attach to a desk. I use it on an old folding table that is about half an inch thick and it works fine.

@AyrtonSdS cheers for ur suggestion! :) is there any wheel stands that could go on?
Wheel Stand Pro have a stand for the MS wheel:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheel-Stand-Pro-Microsoft-Wireless/dp/B0080Q1BZY
http://wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro-for-microsoft-wireless-racing-wheel-for-xbox-360

@AyrtonSdS and @scottishwildcat again thanks for your suggestions, i really didnt think this post will get any response :D

My starter wheel was the Microsoft FF wheel. Loved every second of it, and I nabbed a near mint condition one for $40 because the gent was moving and just didn't want it anymore. I clamped it to my rig and secured the pedals to the floor board. Worked great for F1 2013 and spend countless hours on it. Best bang for your buck starter wheel for sure!

@Recon1k thanks $40 let me convert that to GBP as im from the UK well thats worked out to be £23.86 :O thats a very good bargain, and u are lucky to have a rig if im honest

My first wheel was the Microsoft FF like many on here. I got it for like $80 off craigslist. It was in great condition and I enjoyed it. Although within 6months I upgraded to the csr elite and pedals. Which I think was well worth the money. Huge difference between the wheels. While you won't notice too much in F1 games, games like Forza and GT you'll have a lot more fun. As for mounting. I clamped both wheels to an ikea small shelf that I just didn't fully assemble... It worked great.

@Chadwick8505 nice yeah i do play Forza aswell. 
ok so instead of a stand etc. i could get something from Ikea like a desk perhaps and sort of tailor it to my liking :)