F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Grid Autosport Open Wheel vs F1 2013

Of all the event types in Grid Autosport, I find that open wheels are the best implemented and with way better force feedback and competitive AI. Despite F1 2013 being much more complete and finessed visually, I am having much fun with formula B than I had with F1 2013 for months. Going back to F1 2013 surly feels like a downgrade and requires much more fiddling with steering settings. Please share your personal opinion on this.

i prefer grid's autosport open wheels.... They may slide more than they should do  but its bloody fun! I can say that is my favorite discipline !  B)

In F1 2013 phisics s**t, best phisics was in F1 2010-2011 (in 2011 slightly better)

In GRID Autosport a little arcade, but drive interestingly

But not agree that this better class in game, Touring Class more better

Depends what you want. GAS isn't meant to be a sim, it's meant to be "authentic" and FUN. And in open wheel I think it certainly succeeds in being fun thanks mostly to the drifty physics which are a blast. But F1 2013 is far more realistic and complete. It asks more of the player and gives them more in return.

Personally I don't like F1 2013 much at all so Grid Autospotr is deginetely a better game. I think the AI in openwheel could be a touch faster but in gener al I'm happy with it as I'd rather it be too easy at the bottom than to ohard anyway but this is just in the openwheel

Really liking this discipline and its handling in GAS. Once dialed, balanced smooth force feedback with its jolts and vibrations through a long turn with multiple apex (e.g long left turn in Istanbul) felt so much better than any similar turn on F1 2013. There is a hint of constant struggle usually associated with open wheel race car whereas on f1 2013, it was comparatively simpler. 

I have a hope that codemasters will pull a descent  next F1 title along with VR support :neutral_face: 

I agree with the above poster, I loved the physics of F1 2010-2011. Had not been for premature tyre life in 2011 I would still be playing that game. 

<3 Grid Autosport Open Wheel

Open Wheel is by far the most surprising and fun category "rescued" from a simcade or whatever people wants to call it.

Maybe is not real-sim-accurate, etc...but at the first contact with it, special in Cat. C, the fun of gas&break plus a "real" steering karting-type makes a big surprised and a sensation of a perfect blend that is should expected in this kind of game; IMHO i must to congrats to CM for this "new" added category. I´m not a fan in F1videogames, curiously in real life i love these categories watch on tv XD, but this time the idea, the feel, the mixture and taste are incredible fun, fun and fun again, easy, generous but difficult if anyone wants explore the limits.

Obviously it has hothing to do with F1 sims but is more, much more in fact that i could expect from a Toca-Grid series; just the perfect point, no more no less. A pure style category in the series perfectly suited.

I would like to see in the future some spin offs about Drift, Open Wheel and something more. If i say Gymkhana maybe someone is gonna kill me XD but i miss a lot this kind of stuff....All in all....Dirt 4 will come XD.

I was a purist with racing games and hated many things like drift, gymkhana and so on..but don´t ask me why but i becamed a big fun in all of them, some games discovered me, maybe forced, that are incredible disciplines, and Open Wheel this time in AS is my new "discover" of what exactly i like in this category and kind of game; i can´t believe how much fun i had the first day racing in Yas Marina, wich i burn a ton of times in Grid 2, and feelwhat a difference experience it is with an Cat C Open Wheel car, for my taste a lot more than in F1 games.

I really enjoy the open wheelers in this game although my vote has gone for the F1 2013 as the better of the two in this respect. There is still something slightly odd about the handling of these cars in Grid Autosport, almost like they are swivelling on the centre axis in the way they behave at times and also some strange reactions to the braking. This could be down to wheel \ pedal setup though.

However, those little quirks certainly do not detract from the amount of enjoyment I am getting out of them and the current Racenet Challenge in the Indycar at Spa is fantastic. The AI are probably weaker in this category than the others but even so they do give some good and fun competition with mistakes being suitably punished which is where F1 2013 sometimes lacks a little so plus points to Grid Autosport in that respect.

I really enjoy the open wheelers in this game although my vote has gone for the F1 2013 as the better of the two in this respect. There is still something slightly odd about the handling of these cars in Grid Autosport, almost like they are swivelling on the centre axis in the way they behave at times and also some strange reactions to the braking. This could be down to wheel \ pedal setup though.

However, those little quirks certainly do not detract from the amount of enjoyment I am getting out of them and the current Racenet Challenge in the Indycar at Spa is fantastic. The AI are probably weaker in this category than the others but even so they do give some good and fun competition with mistakes being suitably punished which is where F1 2013 sometimes lacks a little so plus points to Grid Autosport in that respect.

Know what you mean. There is something about the way they slide that feels a bit odd now and they. I can't quite say what it is, I think maybe they slide while the back end is not out enough, almost as if they are moving too much in a straight line, but still sliding whne you wouldn't expect them too. Anyway, it doesn't cause me any major issues.

The openwheels are good fun on the tighter circuits, but lack power on the big GP ones like spa.  Haven't run F1 2013 with t/c off, but I run GA with t/c off. My guess is F1 is hard work with the t/c off, as you can spin the cars even with the t/c on, and the amount of resolution in the throttle control on the controller is not so good.

I think it is more valid to compare the openwheeler handling on Grid 1 with GA. On Grid 1 the steering felt more responsive and the car more "punchy" to drive. More difficult to put the car in a spin as well I would say. GA is a harder challenge in terms of driving than Grid 1 I would say.

Not just formula cars, I found v8 Ariel atom and Catheram a surprise too. Never really liked it before in any game. Here I am having a lot of fun with it. Not sure exactly what simulation is referred to, but to me it is a quite a simulation of what Ariel atom might feel like. Although I have never driven a real racing car on track, but the reviews shared of these super cars and their differences told can be felt very well. I am still at level 7 of each discipline in career and hope things will only get better further. Good Job Codemasters B)

I have setup my wheel settings to be best I can but still have to adjust a bit every time I change car types. I agree on setup importance as the default settings were not that much fun to begin with.

the thing is, in 2013 the cars were able to do 2004 world record beating pace so some would say you are basing your poll on physics that are fundamentally flawed. every f1 game release from codmasters has had 2004 beating pace which I think reflects badly on the physics and general lazy coding implemented into f1 games, considering we are told each year they have to wait until September to release to make sure the cars have the correct pace is a joke as every year we are able to beat lap records set in 2004 with the fastest f1 cars ever.

I totally agree with the OP - the feedback in the open wheelers feels better than any F1 game I've played.  I've played F1 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.  Maybe I just never got it dialed in right on those games and lucked out with GA.

Also, cockpit view in the F1 games has this artificial "shake" sensation that really hurts my eyes.  This is gone in GA.  Thank God!  I wish I knew how to remove it in the F1 games.  And the AI in the open wheel events are much more disciplined than the other classes.

In my view, an F1 games implemented with GA's feedback and AI would be a fantastic game.

Agreed that the feedback is probably better implemented in Grid Autosport although still required some work to get it right with my wheel. I have it about as good as I can in F1 2013 after a lot of playing with the settings but it's still not quite as good.

Not sure what the artifical shake you refer to is.. Grid Autosport has the cockpit shake option that you can reduce in the settings but it's not something I see in F1.

the thing is, in 2013 the cars were able to do 2004 world record beating pace so some would say you are basing your poll on physics that are fundamentally flawed. every f1 game release from codmasters has had 2004 beating pace which I think reflects badly on the physics and general lazy coding implemented into f1 games, considering we are told each year they have to wait until September to release to make sure the cars have the correct pace is a joke as every year we are able to beat lap records set in 2004 with the fastest f1 cars ever.

How much is that in real terms, a second or so faster than reality ? If so that corresponds to 1% error per lap in performance. You could put that down to a number of things, from car performance modelling to inaccuracies in the tracks (which aren't laser scanned?) to the fact that the real drivers probably don't brake to within an inch of their lives on every corner, because lets face it they would all be dead if they drove like us - it only takes one mistake and you are in hospital with two broken legs rather than hitting the restart race button.

I think given the variables the simulation doesn't do a bad job.

I have no idea why open wheel presented in GRID games in a first place, no matter how well it's done. If I want open wheel racing I'd go and play F1. If this would be cut from GRID, I'd be glad.

Saying F1 physics > GAS physics is not the same as saying F1 physics = perfect.

Although I love F1 2013 for what it is (graphics are a bit better too), I think the whole tyre management aspect of the game ruined the actual fun of racing for me. Especially since the AI is never too bothered by the tyre wear. In GAS, the open wheel class is all about direct, wheel to wheel races, and I'm loving it!.Also, because of the unlimited flashbacks, I can play longer races (I tend to make quite a few mistakes from time to time  :# .