Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Felipe Massa Memorial Italian Grand Prix

VetteIfan said:
But he's not going to win a title at McLaren either, so ultimately he's chosen to waste several years of his career fighting in the midfield with McLaren rather than compete for podiums and the occasional win with Ferrari. As much as he likes to deny it, I think we all know what he would rather have been doing. 

Also to everyone thinking Massa's announcement is good news for JB - according to most F1 journos, Button isn't even in the frame for the Williams seat any more. Apparently they're looking at Nasr. Who is younger, much cheaper, brings sponsorship and is potentially a strong driver in his own right, so he wouldn't be a surprising choice, as much as I would like to see Button stay on the grid. 
Yeah you do have a point, I'm sure he would rather be up the front with Ferrari. I reckon he just didn't envisage just how much McLaren would struggle, and how much time it would take them to get better. If McLaren don't come good next year, then how long can he and will he want to wait? 2018? 2019? When will it end?

It's such a shame, because in 50 years time, a lot of people will just look at the record books and remember Alonso for winning in the mid-noughties. They'll forget that he spent a further 10 years driving for established teams, but just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Such a shame.

About Williams / Button, I can't see it happening to be perfectly honest. Nasr, well, I would be surprised but he does bring a tonne of money, so at the same time I wouldn't be surprised! Perez has got to be out the frame, I'm 99% certain Renault would be his only option, so who else? They could bring in Alex Lynn their development driver, but while he's had a couple of wins and podiums, he's not setting the world alight. He's not consistent enough. You look at his record and it's a tale of two halves. He can win races but he's also had a heck of a lot of non points finishes.

And then you have the question of who replaces Perez at Force India (if the Renault deal follows through). Perhaps Dany Kvyat could go there (because I am 99% sure they're gonna promote Gasly to Toro Rosso, he's just doing too well in GP2 right now), or maybe one of the current Renault drivers, whoever gets dropped for Perez.

The whole driver market between McLaren / Williams / Force India / Renault is looking very tasty at the moment, exciting times!

VetteIfan said:
MBKF1 said:
As Fernando Alonso and McLaren have said before, if they wanted to win the world championship then it had to be as a works team, which is what they're doing with Honda.

People have asked Fernando if it hurts to see Ferrari beating McLaren, but at the end of the day, Ferrari are still not winning the championship anyway. McLaren was the best opportunity for Alonso to win the title. Yes, they're struggling at the moment, but they're making quick progress and I really really have my fingers crossed for some podiums next year.

Therefore I can totally see why Perez would go to Renault. Like Alonso, he may be beaten by his old team for a year or two, but Renault will come good eventually.
But he's not going to win a title at McLaren either, so ultimately he's chosen to waste several years of his career fighting in the midfield with McLaren rather than compete for podiums and the occasional win with Ferrari. As much as he likes to deny it, I think we all know what he would rather have been doing. 

Also to everyone thinking Massa's announcement is good news for JB - according to most F1 journos, Button isn't even in the frame for the Williams seat any more. Apparently they're looking at Nasr. Who is younger, much cheaper, brings sponsorship and is potentially a strong driver in his own right, so he wouldn't be a surprising choice, as much as I would like to see Button stay on the grid. 
Wasn't Nasr a former test driver with Williams as well? Kind of like a long-term project of them right?

Could be worse.

Could be Ericsson.

To replace Massa whose body is 7 characters too short.

Nasr's not exactly proven he's any better than Ericsson so far though really.
Don't get me wrong; he's certainly better than Ericsson, but that's like saying being trampled on by a horde of horses is better than being trampled on by a horde of horses and being shot in the eye.

If Nasr is classed as a strong driver then I have a small chance of getting a drive in in F1. I'd be the first disabled driver, no wait scratch that, Maldonado was the first as he was clearly blind :joy:

If Perez goes to Renault, could Weirhlein take the the Force India seat? Or even Ocon?

Weirhlein makes most sense to me, young Mercedes driver in a Mercedes powered car.

Nico got bukkaked there.
This is the only way to describe what happened out there today. Half a second?! That is totally ridiculous.

Hope there's a crash at the first corner with both Mercs or it'll be the most boring race of the season.

Hughesy said:
Haha keep dreaming, it was English club fans that came up with it :p
YOU ENGLISH TAKE OUR LAND AND NOW YOUR TAKE OUR WORDS

AT'S A PADDLIN MATE
B-WER

Jiggy said:
Wasn't Nasr a former test driver with Williams as well? Kind of like a long-term project of them right?
Yeah, that too. 

And yeah, the reason I say potentially strong is because he's been driving a piece of shit for a year and a half so he hasn't really had a decent chance yet. When the car was half decent at the start of 2015 he actually got some good results, I mean he finished 5th on his debut. We've seen in recent history with Ricciardo that average looking drivers who are racing further down the grid can actually be a revelation when given the right equipment. 

Well apparently it's been said that Perez has elected to stay put at Force India so looks like Williams and Renault will have to look elsewhere

Mexicola said:
Hughesy said:

AT'S A PADDLIN MATE
B-WER
YOU ENGLISH TAKE OUR LAND AND NOW YOUR TAKE OUR WORDS, BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_FvfKYw2AE

Mexicola said:
Hughesy said:

AT'S A PADDLIN MATE
B-WER
YOU ENGLISH TAKE OUR LAND AND NOW YOUR TAKE OUR WORDS, BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_FvfKYw2AE

THAT MAN WAS SCOTTISH WHAT IS HE AT

Did Hamilton put his car in reverse or something... Looks like Rosberg has won then unless he has a problem. 

Quote boring so far...though that's been typical the past few seasons unless there is a mechanical failure and/or accident with the two Mercedes drivers.