Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ideas for F1 2017 and beyond

A great way to incorporate press conferences into the game, with the ability to offer a much wider range of speech options, would be if Codemasters, or the future producer of the series delved into the realm of procedurally generated conversations, there are already good examples of this on the internet, for example SimSimi or Boibot, where you can have a continuous, realistic conversation (or as realistic as you can get talking to a program). This would make Press Conferences, Interviews, Podium Celebrations, Team Radio more immersive and realistic. 

Yeah, they need something new the game is the same as 2015.
Was kinda dissapointing winning and seeing the same lame celebration.
Only thing they changed is some lightning and sound.

Kinda dissapointing game tbh.
It's great that they involved the safety care again.
But not one there got the idea like:.... hey, why not start rainy races like Monaca behind a safety car (option)

Codemasters realy need to update theyre games.
F1 2015 no Kvyat/Verstappen switch.
And in F1 2016 no Haryanto/Ocon replacement.

These little things are pissing people off.
Because everyone wants a realistic and updated game.
If these little things don't change i'm pretty sure i'm not gonna buy F1 2017.

Hellooooo said:

But not one there got the idea like:.... hey, why not start rainy races like Monaca behind a safety car (option)

Umm...
1) Yeah, celebrations are similar. Agreed that it could be "improved".
2) Would you really like to start behind SC?.. Personally in real life I hate starts behind SC because all the fun in start is gone.
3) Kvyat/Verstappen switch happened in 2016 Spain GP, not 2015, so I fail to understand why it should be in 2015 (also Verstappen/Kvyat switch is actually in-game, so I fail to see the thing here); Haryanto/Ocon - well, technically the driver who drove more races through the season should get the place in game, and Rio did 12 races, so...
4) Little things can only piss you off (pardon my *bleep* language) if you pay attention to it. If you don't - you won't even notice it. Simple. (I would be ****ed off more (again pardon my *bleep* language) if for example Safety Car would be broken or AI would be dull...)

mantazzo said:
Hellooooo said:

Umm...
1) Yeah, celebrations are similar. Agreed that it could be "improved".
2) Would you really like to start behind SC?.. Personally in real life I hate starts behind SC because all the fun in start is gone.
3) Kvyat/Verstappen switch happened in 2016 Spain GP, not 2015, so I fail to understand why it should be in 2015 (also Verstappen/Kvyat switch is actually in-game, so I fail to see the thing here); Haryanto/Ocon - well, technically the driver who drove more races through the season should get the place in game, and Rio did 12 races, so...
4) Little things can only **** you off (pardon my *bleep* language) if you pay attention to it. If you don't - you won't even notice it. Simple. (I would be ****ed off more (again pardon my *bleep* language) if for example Safety Car would be broken or AI would be dull...)
1) Okey, agreed on that.
2) If they gonna put the safetycar in the game might as well give that option to (As Monaco and Silverstone started behind safety car.
3) Don't mind that much that they didn't swap them. (But i would like to play a game that is current)
Let's take fifa for example they keep the game current with transfers mid season.
4) The safety car is broken and i realy hope they will fix the issue soon.

For starters, they could have a serious physics overhaul:

Introduction of wind, and how it affects the aero and balance of a car 

There could be more mechanical failures like suspension, gearbox, and each separate engine component, which would tie in to having a maximum of 5 engines in a season, and allow there to be an introduction of engine and gearbox penalties, which can also be strategically applied e.g. Hamilton in Spa 

Ability to have free choice of tyres to cater for a certain type of weekend, instead of the preset Softer, Balanced and Harder

The teams are able to turn the engines up and down as well as the driver, so it would be great to have a feature like that, where the engineer could say: ''Our engine wear levels are optimal, so we are turning the engine up to allow you to catch the car in front/ pull a gap'' or ''We are seeing possible wear to the engine, we will be turning it down to prevent excessive wear, power will be down''

The damage model could be made more realistic, driving over sausage kerbs, speed bumps and gravel damages the floor and therefore affects aero performance, when wheels lock with AI, suspension damage is done instead of becoming stuck to them

Track evolution could also be improved, for example deforming barriers, this could even cause red flags, and add another strategic element to the game, on tracks like Bahrain, the collection of dust and sand on the track, accumulation of tyre marbles when you drive off the racing line

Immersion is still lacking, despite the great motorhomes, agent and R&D engineer, the introduction of driving out of the garage before the race start, being able to do practice starts in practice sessions much like real drivers do, manual pit lane control which would allow scenes like Alonso and Hulkenberg in Spa, a parade lap to Parc Ferme, another thing that would be great would be to see your team cheering from the pit wall when you win/ get a podium

Being able to have a proper crash instead of only being able to see 3 seconds of it in a stupid slow motion screen........ who honestly sat down at a devolpment meeting and said "Guys I've got a great idea! How about straight after the player crashes and something spectacular happens we instantly pause the game and ask them if they want to restart or retire!!!!" 
Then I'm imagining the whole room bursts into cheer and clapping.............
Codies please for the love of Yoda fix this..

I remember there being some talk after Silverstone that they will remove SC starts in real life for next season.

Also playing the strategic game with engine penalties etc. like Hamilton in Spa. Isn't there also some rules coming in for next season that prohibit that to some extent?

Great game this year, some suggestions for 2017 game.

1. Show the tyres that the drivers qualified on before start of race, when showing the grid order so I can plan my race strategy around my nearest rivals / teammate. Currently I can only see this at A) end of Q3 or B ) one a race has started, pause and go to Race Director.

2. Add the ability to view the race results of previous races in previous seasons i.e. who won, who got fastest lap. I dont believe you can see this in this years edition.

3. Maybe its just me but i haven't had any brakes over heating or gear box issues or engine issues. This could be an additional option in the game menu i.e. realistic car issues.

4. An engineer call to invoke "team orders" this is to stop your teammate from overtaking you when the championship is on the line. Sidestory, happen to me in Abu Dhabi where Alonso over took me and cost me the championship. Or if you are number one driver to ensure the number two driver moves over.

5. This leads on to psychological warfare probably via media interactions. For example implementing "team orders" causes bad blood between you and your teammate and affects the team atmosphere. This could be used for championship rivals to add pressure or with a driver whom you have bad blood i.e. kimi and max this season. There is alot to the F1 story which takes place off the track, dunno how you capture that in a game but it could be good.

6. Add a side game option called "WHAT IF " scenarios based on what action has taken place in the current season. So to explain, the game is released normally halfway through an actual season. Half the WHAT IF scenarios could be there on game release and the other half when the real season has ended. The scenarios could be based on each team and could involve as little as one race to half a dozen races.
Examples:

Torro Roso
WHAT IF (1): You are Danny Kvyat your switch to Torro Rosso has not gone well, you have 5 races left till the end of season to save your F1 career. You must average to P8 over those races.
WHAT IF (2): You are Caros Sainz, your team have stopped engine development for the season and your team results arent great. Give the team a morale boost with a high points finish and ensure that the top teams keep you in mind for a seat in their team next season.

Mercedes
WHAT IF (1): You are Nico Rosberg you are back from the mid summer break and your team mate is now ahead of you in the drivers championship, you have from Spa onwards to deliver the title as soon as possible.
WHAT IF (2): You are Lewis Hamilton, due to an engine penalty you start at the back of the grid at Spa. Reduce the damage limitation to your championship hopes....

Ferrari
WHAT IF (1): You are Kimi Rakkoinen, an upstart called Max Verstrappen has been pushing his luck on the track against you for the past few races. Finish ahead of him in the next three to shut him up.

Williams
WHAT IF (1): You are Felipe Massa, the team desperately wants a good result at the next race. You team orders are to be a wingman to your team mate and ensure you help him finish as high up the grid as possible. (i made thi one up)

7. LIVE Season: Race qualification results are taken from a real race, post race and added to the game. So you don't do qualifiying but take the qualifying position from the real life driver whom you have replaced in the game. Not a fully fleshed out idea but an idea never the less.

8. Traffic light R&D. R&D pieces have a traffic light system, green are as the current game R&D pieces i.e. they work and are reliable. Yellow are parts that don't have 100% reliability and Red are parts straight from the factory but A) haven't been proven to work, B ) haven't been race tested and C) are a huge risk, but your desperate for upgrades.....

9. If next season drivers have a limited number of engines (forgetting the individual parts) it could add a layer of strategy to the game having to manage your limited number of engines i.e. like Hamilton this season managing the mileage on his engines and deciding when to take the penalty to get new engines above his season allowance.

10. A new highlights package post race that shows the best highlights of the GP overall. Overtakes, accidents etc.

I'd very much like to see GP2 and GP3 into career. Would add a new dimension to the career so you can really work your way up from the bottom. 

Since they only use tracks on the F1 calendar it shouldn't be too problematic to include that. 

I've suggested adaptive difficulty in the past (http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/45465/for-f1-2017-adaptive-difficulty) to put an end to the difficulty "chasms" being complained about by everyone. Personally I'm not a massive fan of the idea but it would help those struggling between Expert and Legend and other tiers now.

Better ERS simulation would be fantastic. Even if its just a "Auto-KERS" battery meter that depletes slowly throughout a lap unless you hit the Overtake button (former KERS button) to deploy more power at once. But say if you use it more than 2 or 3 times (circuit dependent) per lap, the car will "derate" towards the end of a lap and acceleration is slowed a good bit.

Honestly though with the fantastic new MFD, I don't see why they couldn't just have a  "ERS Strat" option and vary between 1 and 5 or something. This way on low power tracks like Hungary, you can run lean fuel but like Strat 1 (aggressive ERS boost) to maintain lap time and save fuel, or go Strat 5 (aggressive ERS recovery) and high fuel to build charge ahead of an overtake but still keep up with the car ahead. Just add a bit more variety to the game. The OT button is commonly used now to defend against DRS, so as a player on McHonda, I'd love to be able to use it to defend more on the straights. This is a lot more complex for casual gamers, but maybe an auto option will just run it like the game works now.

GP2 would be cool but for the sake of simplicity i'd rather just a Young Driver's Test and being forced to start with the bottom half of the field.

Team orders would be great as I've been held up by Alonso on a more aggressive strategy and it cost me a good finish. Have it slash your drivers standing in half if you disobey.

Maybe also add a reprimand system for minor infractions in practice sessions?

Id be happier if they focused on the racing side of things. 
+1, I play to drive,  why anyone would want to simulate press conferences and the like it beyond me.  I and I think most people would skip them.  The off track elements in 2016 are about right, short and sweet.  Concentrate on the driving not the stupid fluff.

The addition of the pit board guy this year was nice, so next year I'd like to see the teams cheering you over the line.

Now we have formation lap, the parade lap should follow, driver waving etc.

The press and interview stuff could only be done by choosing preset responses. They'd never get to record each of the drivers speaking lines of text. 

Difficulty slider.  

And at least one new podium sequence would be nice... 

simply idea: do it like 2k did with nba! Mycareer is the best mode ever!

it has everything, that we are missing in f1 career. the whole thing behind the rac,e behind the race weekend.

we are only jumping from one race to another....

after 2 seasons im finish with my R&D in Renault, now i went to McLaren to start as a Champion in the worst car in the field....like Damon Hill 1997 in Arrows :D

Hellooooo said:

Do you not realize how much work which would have to be done to "just switch Ocon with Rio"...

A LOT...They would have to get every single commentator back into the recording studio, Codies get all the main commentators of every language to record, its not just random people ok

The game is not disappointing, maybe you're just shit at it and can't find any enjoyment, its full of new things and who gives a fuck about the animations, we all skip them anyway ffs 

Twat

IDEAS FOR F1 2017 AND BEYOND

1. Get to work on the 2017 patches now.
2. You know we want a custom lobby browser on Xbox still, 2 years after the game came to Xbox one. Get it done because this year's solution doesn't cut it.

Im loving this game. Made me go out and buy a Thrustmaster t300rs, the Ferrari F1 wheel add-on, plus a wheel stand. Have only done a couple of multiplayer sessions which is always hit and miss. But the career mode is great. This is the first F1 game ive played in years and i love that the practice sessions have incentives like Track Acclimatisation, Tyre wear managements, Qually lap time, etc to earn Resource Points. So rather than just skipping the 3 practice sessions, i find myself trying to do as much as possible. 

The qualification too is fun, and while i normally would just be happy to do a quick qually and go straight into racing, I like the strategy of doing the full 3 qually sessions. Especially the 2nd qualification session where if you make the Top 10 you have to use those tyres at the start of the race. Opens up strategy options of trying to make the top 10 on a different tyre choice to everyone else, meaning you can go longer in the first stint of a race and either doing one less pitstop, or having more grip on your last stint than everyone else.

The rival thing is neat in that you get little incentives and short terms goals throughout a long season. In the Renault I easily won the rivalry between myself and Magnussen, but my next chosen rival Verstappen is a lot tougher! Also makes me want to screw up his race if i can should he ever be stuck behind me on the track.

Theres a lot that Codemasters have got right with this game. I will eventually get around to Championship, Time trial modes but career mode has my attention for now. The wide range of camera angles are great, and being able to adjust them too is a bonus. The graphics are amazing. The little reflections off the drivers helmet, the drying track after a downpour, etc all make the game more immersive. The car setups and tweaks are good without being too over the top. This definitely is a game to rival rfactor at least in the F1 simulator aspect.

Downsides would be
  •  the limit FIA have put on vehicle damage which is a bit weird, but i can live with that. 
  • The writing on the bottom right of the screen for radio comms and car/race information could be larger, or have an option to make it larger so its easier to read when you only have a few secs going down the main straight. 
  • Also the radio comms should have an option to override all other sounds so its a lot clearer to hear. 
  • I think the AI opponents should be a bit more aggressive at holding their position. Its a bit too easy for me to dive up the inside of a corner and watch them yield or move over to make room. In the real thing you would lose your front wing. 
  • Would be better if the AI made more moves against other AI drivers rather than just forming a snake around the circuit. 
  • The team radio guy Jeff speaks a little too much, and although there is the option to tell him to shut up, it would be nice if he didnt offer a new strategy every 2 laps. 
  • While on that note, the option to change strategies should be easier, with just a simple button click for "Yes change" or "No, stay current strategy". Really hard to cycle through the MDF on 80% of all tracks and concentrate on corners at the same time.
  • I've had the game freeze on me a few times now when in the garage of practice which is a bit annoying especially if i have to repeat a tyre management session.

That said, I have had the game bit over a week and right now id give it 8.5/10. 

For fuck sake gp2 and 3 increase work load for codies there only a small company, plus having licencing issues for cars drivers and sponsors. You would need there commentators and facial structures of there drivers and that regards my first point. Oh and for the plank who said i wish live the life was back. We are ,just without the press conference which was repetitive as hell anyway . This career is the most fun ive had in ages on any f1 game and you planks want to go back to 2010 LOL

I'd love to see a few things to make the racing experience feel a little more realistic.

1. Debris - Running over debris on track can cause a puncture, and will stay on the track until a SC or VSC where it is "cleaned up". Would be amazing to see marshals cleaning the track but thats not going to happen.
2. Wrecked cars are removed from circuit via cranes etc. Quite annoying that they hang around for a while, then just disappear. When SC is called out you spend 3 laps following it when the track is completely clear. I'm OK with that, but would be good to see the car slowly being removed. Also SC/VSC should always be called out for a terminal accident. Had 5/6 car pile ups with no SC/VSC. 
3. Really not a fan of the Race Engineer communication menu in 2016. Way too many options and awkward to navigate while racing on 360 Controller. Didn't play 2015 but liked 2014s menu.
4. Manual pit stops would be great