Sign in to follow this  

Grand Prix Manager 2001 - Brazil, Race (1 Vacancy)

COULTHARD CLAIMS POLE IN RAIN AFFECTED QUALIYFING

Rain played a massive part in this session; starting out dry, drivers rushed to get a lap in before the storm came in to wash the grip away. While this played well into the hands of several drivers, it disadvantaged some like Ralf Schumacher, who after his maiden victory will only start in 17th.

2001 BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX - RACE REPORT

Race number 3, David Coulthard is on pole and looking to take his first win of the season, hoping to mount a challenge to his teammate and current world champion Michael Schumacher, who is also looking for his first win of the season.

The cars have all lined up now.

Lights on...

...lights off!

Coulthard gets away well, so does Schumacher - Hakkinen has made a flyer, a superb start from the McLaren who is challenging Coulthard for the lead!

He doesn't quite get it but a fantastic start nonetheless!

Look at Heidfeld though, having a go at Schumacher's Ferrari!

Heidfeld stays where he is but look at the gap between the two McLarens and the rest of the field; incredible!

Oh dear, there's a bit of contact behind involving a Benetton and a Jaguar...

Oh no, Burti goes round but Ralf Schumacher, up from 17th got involved in this little melee. No damage to the cars, but Burti and Schumacher are dead last.

Hakkinen is having a go at his teammate for the lead...

Ooooh can he make it stick?!

Yes!
Lovely lovely lovely! Mika Hakkinen leads the Brazilian Grand Prix!

I'll tell you who else has done some good work on the track; it's Juan Pablo Montoya.

A yellow car on the green bit - it could only be a Jordan.

It's Jarno Trulli. Back of the queue, my friend.

Looks like it's over for Jenson Button, not that he really started much anyhow.

Cya.

Wait, is that a McLaren in the wall?!

IT IS! DAVID COULTHARD SMASHES HIMSELF OUT OF THE BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX! 
He started in pole, he's ended it in the wall and the debris on the start/finish straight is going to cause no end of problems for the drivers!

See?! I told you! Frentzen with no front wing!

As the debris is cleared, Hakkinen is clearing the rest of the field.

Hold on, there's more drama at the start/finish straight!

It's Frentzen again! He's been hit by Ralf Schumacher! What on earth happened there?!

Ralf will have to pit for repairs, but that Jordan is going absolutely nowhere.

Neither is this Jaguar.

But the other Williams isn't doing too bad, he's catching Hakkinen for the lead.

More retirements, dear me...

The pit stops have commenced though, a number of drivers have dived in.

OH NO MONTOYA'S OFF THE ROAD! 

Suspension problem! Out! No points! None! Awful luck for the Colombian, he was doing so well too.

The race leader pits. Dear me, that's a long one...

Jacques Villeneuve makes a stop too, the cars behind him of Fisichella and Raikkonen are having it out though for his 4th place.

Raikkonen gains two places in about 100 yards, good work from the young Finn.

Not so good from his teammate though, Heidfeld has gone off in similar style to Trulli.

WHEEL OFF THE MCLAREN! HAKKINEN IS OUT! 
The wheel has not been fitted properly and the Finn has relinquished the lead!

Oh, that's awful. Truly awful.

That means Michael Schumacher is leading, and, get this, Eddie Irvine in the Jaguar is second! Second place!

His stop puts him just behind Barrichello though.

The new race leader makes a stop.

Almost half way through the race, let's have a look at the race order.

Jacques Villeneuve has run into electrical issues and has to stop to sort it out.

Jos Verstappen stops too, but it's not at the pits I'm afraid.

Alesi's Prost looks like it's had enough as well. What a shame, a top 10 finish would have done nicely for the French team.

Nick Heidfeld makes another trip off the track. Come on, mate.

OH MY GOODNESS ME SCHUMACHER OFF THE TRACK SCHUMACHER OFF THE CIRCUIT

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER IS OUT OF THE RACE! 
Well that was - to put it mildly - a dramatic development and an AWFUL development for the three time world champion! No race win for him!

But look who's leading!

Rubens Barrichello, that's who! A Brazilian is leading the Brazilian Grand Prix!

Eddie Irvine is in a brilliant second place, who would have thought this would happen?

Lap 46, these two are former Jordan teammates, remember! This will be a fantastic scrap if Irvine can keep pushing! And also keep in mind the Ferrari's are running the softer tyres, they've sacrificed a bit of race performance for qualifying position, which turned out to be in vain really considering they didn't qualify that high up anyway.

Fernando Alonso isn't getting a piece of the action though, he's out of the race. Both Minardi's have retired.

From the camera facing the wing and the graphics on your TV screen, here's the top 8 on lap 54. Barrichello leads his home Grand Prix, Irvine is second and slipping away from the Ferrari, Kimi Raikkonen is THIRD. THIRD in the Sauber after starting 21st, that is quite something!

Irvine is starting to get a move on now.

Barrichello is being held up by Heidfeld though, Irvine is right behind them! Are Sauber holding the two up in hopes Raikkonen can catch them?

Barrichello gets past, Irvine follows through soon after.

Look at this, Irvine is lining up Barrichello for a pass!

AND LOOK AT THAT!

What universe is this?! The Jaguar passes the Ferrari! Incredible! Irvine could win this Grand Prix!

Barrichello's not going to give up though;

Oh it's so close!

Barrichello muscles his way through, Irvine back to second but wow what a scrap!

Irvine looks to have settled for second...

And Rubens Barrichello starts his final lap. He had to work very hard for this, his second win of his career.

And can you believe this is only the second time he's finished this Grand Prix? Remember those drives such as in 1999 in the Stewart, where he looked certain for a podium finish.

This is going to be a mighty emotional moment for the Brazilian, who was born not far from where we are racing, here in Interlagos.

Barrichello's coming round now, he can see the chequered flag from here.

And Rubens Barrichello crosses the line...

...to euphoric applause! Yes, you've done it Rubinho! Get in there!

Eddie Irvine finishes an absolutely incredible second place for the Jaguar team, what a fantastic drive and a fantastic result!

And Ralf Schumacher finishes - wait, where's Raikkonen?

YOU ARE KIDDING ME! RAIKKONEN'S CAR GAVE UP ON THE FINAL LAP! 
This is terrible! Just terrible! After all that he won't even be scoring a single point!

And Schumacher's car has pulled off as well! This is as bizarre a finish to a Grand Prix that I can remember!

BAR finish 4th and 5th, great result for them.

And Jarno Trulli brings the car home in sixth position. What an incredible Grand Prix!

RACE RESULTS AFTER 72 LAPS

FASTEST LAP: Mika HAKKINEN - 1:13.825

DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP AFTER ROUND 3

CONSTRUCTORS CHAMPIONSHIP AFTER ROUND 3

2001 BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX - NEWS HEADLINES

Barrichello delighted with Brazil win

Schumacher, Hakkinen, Coulthard and Montoya gutted after non finishes

Raikkonen unfazed by late retirement

Platy sacked as Minardi team leader after libel conviction

ACTIVITY CHECKS
Platy was inactive for the second consecutive race, and therefore is out of the series. cougar1981 also gets a warning.

Dreadful race for Jordan, but happy Trulli got a point. Those late retirements really helped him.

Will have to look at the replays to see just what the hell Frentzen was doing...

Extending the deadline for the PMs to Friday instead because not enough people have sent PMs in

I told Kimi no more drunken parties on boats until he scores a point, if there's one thing that will light a fire inside him it's drunken boat parties... 

:trollface:

I'm busy and ill and busy and ill. I'll do San Marino next week, gives more time for people to send in PMs as well.

Wonderful, I'm even further ill. I'll post something when I can, could be weeks, could be months.

cheers hun x                                                                

Mexi playing the Bernie role, next he'll say this forum needs sprinklers to spice the place up. :joy:

I'll fight the lot of yis                                                           

yis
yo
check out this
DISS
jiggy spitting
green dragon mist
TAJIRI
you have no honor
i am your father
grab a sword
HARAKIRI

lay off the crack pipe boi