Sign in to follow this  

Apparently it is your fault.

Hell all I want to do is make it around the track for as many laps as it says without making contact with anyone so i can at least drive my car if that means falling into the back of the pack I will just so I can still steer my vehicle.

Nothing like waiting in between races and then the race starts and first corner you get plowed into so you get to retire that's fun.

hola said:
Given AI total unawareness of your current location on GAS (and F1 since Its just the same AI), I'm still undecided whether or not racing online actually worsens your experience with this game, as this AI is usually as retarded as any idiot you may find online,. Needless to mention she can feel even more cheater than human players with that laughable rubberbading when taking corners, combined with those countless epci moments she literally smokes you on straights no matter the level of your car, thus making you smile and think in a very appropiated way about the guys behind the AI coding for this game, or which is the same, those n00bs at Birmingham studios.

Racing online in GAS can actually offer you a feeling of equality impossible to have while in SP, as long as you race with legit people of course, something that also happens around 1% of the times only...

Racing AI sucks,  They are worse than Grid 2 noobs.  Racing online on Autosport is great fun,  You just need to find a lobby that is mainly full of people racing clean,  Most of the time, a couple of people need to be kicked, maybe 3 or 4, but once their gone, hours of enjoyment are to follow.  But in order to keep the lobby clean, you have to kick anyone with a Brazil flag, within 5 seconds of them appearing, if you dont you will be invaded by Brazil, and no ammount of smashing these guys will help,  Its all they want to do, best solution to a Brazilian invasion...................make like a frenchie and surrender.  Just find a new lobby, repeat the kicking .   :D

****** Where have all the smilies gone???? *****************************

I still say the fairest way to race online is without collisions, its not the best racing but its the fairest. the thing is a lot of youngsters play need for speed and other racing games where crashing people out is good then they come to a simulation track racing game with the same attitude, whats equally annoying is when someone who is very fast behind you keeps nudging you at the corner entry forcing you to run wide and when you complain you normally get a message like " you were holding me up" or "grow up your slower than me" lol

I love it with these noobs. Most haven't played Flat Out 1 or 2 or even Ultimate Carnage. Those teach the basics of car destruction. It's awesome and when they turn up for a wreck fest they do just that, wreck themselves in seconds. Damn annoying if you have a lobby of good racers and it ends up ruined by 1 10yr old with a joypad. But hey it happens.

The 5% of clean fast racer's on Grid 2 is what made it fun and made me want to keep playing that game the other 95% I could care less about. I am usually not the fastest guy in the lobby as far as quick times go. 

But I always try to make sure I am the one of the smartest. If you come up behind me quickly and just are flat out faster than me. I will let you go, even if I am in the lead because this is my thinking. If I let you go past, the next race if I am faster maybe you will return the favor. Also it makes no sense to block you & hold you up because your're gonna get past me one way or the other. If I let you go and not hold you up chances are the guys that are even farther behind you will not catch us. If I wreck you or get tired of me slowing me down you are probably going to wreck me. And then guys behind us catch us & then I may have to settle than worse than a 2nd place. And also a torn up car.

This game doesn't need sportsmanship or manners or CM employees playing. What it needs is rules, just like RL. Can you imagine how RL racing would be if there were no rules? It would be like a CM game but with really realistic damage. Oh, and death.

Automated penalties (even up to and including disqualification) for drivers who break the most basic real-life racing rules wouldn't be difficult to code, but CM won't do it. My guess at the reason is that most of their customers don't want their game "ruined" by "boring" rules and, as we know, CM like their money.

I  wont hit someone just because they are slower than me,  If they are clean, they let me past,  when I go for the pass.  

The ones that wont let me pass them clean, get binned.  

I also let people pass me, if they have clearly more speed than I do, and when I swerve across the track after the pass, its not a failed take out, im getting in the draft.  :)

Most people have no semblance of racing etiquette in this game, or in any racing game for that matter. Anyone can make a mistake and cause a crash, it happens to the best, but some people don't even realize when they should concede the line. The one that infuriates me the most is when your on someone and they go well wide on a hairpin and they slam off the wall and come right back into the racing line as your cruising past. And then they wonder why we both end up sideways. Sorry, but you should keep wide when you slide off the line.

Also, what is up with people being able to keep up with your un-damaged car when they have no wheels left. They should just have a mandatory retire from race when your tires go or slow down damaged cars significantly. The people who crash have no incentive to improve if they can just keep going likes it's no problem to race on steel rims, lol.

@RTA, some people have too much pride to simply let you pass them up, they gotta get a shot in first :)

chen255 said:
This is why I never race online. SP only for me with racing games, I'd rather race the ai than online idiots.

I have yet to play Autosport, but I have to agree with this statement. 

DiRT 3 is the only racing game I have played heavily online and, when racing with friends/sensible players, online racing is absolutely fantastic... conversely racing in open rooms is one of the most un-enjoyable, frustrating, gaming experiences I've ever had. Idiots who don't understand clean racing, abusive messages, dirty moves... absolutely maddening!

If there is another game type aside from racing that is more contested in terms of player etiquette I would be surprised. Every driving game I have ever indulged in since I started playing MP (PGR 2), has been a royal mess in this regard. Living in Canada I am mainly forced to play with opponents from N.A, which IMHO are the worst offenders. If I am lucky enough to find a room of U.K based opponents I find the racing is always faster, and cleaner. Due to the nature of racing in and of itself, and being that to set fast times requires sound driving practice and proper technique, it becomes near-impossible to have an environment where good driving and clean MP practices can coexist. People are too focused on the result, and not the experience. I like to win, in fact I love to win...and very often I win races. That said, I will happily finish middle or back of the pack if the race is a good clean one. Incidental contact is unaviodable...when it happens, and if the net result is a significant positional impact to my opposition I will generally slow down, and let the players I hit pass me as a show of good faith.

That's just me, unfortunately it is not the majority of the racing public...not saying I am better than they are for it, BUT ITS just a choice I make because at the end of the day: THIS IS ONLY A GAME.

Nonetheless it is extremely frustrating, and it will always be a part of racing on-line.

People don't care.

They don't know the track layout.

They do not know how to drive PROPERLY and utilize apex techniques and brake points to execute passing etc.

Often acts of stupidity commenced by one individual just end up being a war between they and somone other, which then in-turn affects everyone else in the room also. 

The epitomy of silly it is...but such is life with on-line gaming as it applies to racing. Creativity and out-whitting your opponent becomes the name of the game...which at times can be fun but can also be equally as distracting and detracting from what racing should be all about.

Find clean racers, make friends, set up private lobbies...otherwise roll the dice and race with the mice.

Maybe if the colored dot system, needs another look. Just a simple green, yellow, & red. 

Green means everything is good to go.

Yellow means, straighten it up Mister, or Missy.

Red means, you have been a butthole to everyone in this room, and now for a race you are ghosted and are at full assist for the entire race and if you crash your car all up you can do it again until you get it right. Through this time you start in the back. When or if you get back to yellow and you have been a bad boy or bad girl, guess where you go back to. 

Or the keep the same system as it is now. And the lobby vote does not mean a kick but, you get to enjoy being red (see above). But only if you are a yellow or below.

If there is another game type aside from racing that is more contested in terms of player etiquette I would be surprised. Every driving game I have ever indulged in since I started playing MP (PGR 2), has been a royal mess in this regard. Living in Canada I am mainly forced to play with opponents from N.A, which IMHO are the worst offenders. If I am lucky enough to find a room of U.K based opponents I find the racing is always faster, and cleaner. Due to the nature of racing in and of itself, and being that to set fast times requires sound driving practice and proper technique, it becomes near-impossible to have an environment where good driving and clean MP practices can coexist. People are too focused on the result, and not the experience. I like to win, in fact I love to win...and very often I win races. That said, I will happily finish middle or back of the pack if the race is a good clean one. Incidental contact is unaviodable...when it happens, and if the net result is a significant positional impact to my opposition I will generally slow down, and let the players I hit pass me as a show of good faith.

That's just me, unfortunately it is not the majority of the racing public...not saying I am better than they are for it, BUT ITS just a choice I make because at the end of the day: THIS IS ONLY A GAME.

Nonetheless it is extremely frustrating, and it will always be a part of racing on-line.

People don't care.

They don't know the track layout.

They do not know how to drive PROPERLY and utilize apex techniques and brake points to execute passing etc.

Often acts of stupidity commenced by one individual just end up being a war between they and somone other, which then in-turn affects everyone else in the room also. 

The epitomy of silly it is...but such is life with on-line gaming as it applies to racing. Creativity and out-whitting your opponent becomes the name of the game...which at times can be fun but can also be equally as distracting and detracting from what racing should be all about.

Find clean racers, make friends, set up private lobbies...otherwise roll the dice and race with the mice.

obviously you have the North Americans pegged way wrong. Or you're playing in the wrong room because the worst offenders are the French and then the Germans and then the Brazilians and then the Spaniards. Now if you all want to beat me up because of that go right ahead cuz I could care less I'm just telling the truth.

I think its quite simple, red players get paired up with eachother in their own lobbies, they can enjoy eachother company.

obviously you have the North Americans pegged way wrong. Or you're playing in the wrong room because the worst offenders are the French and then the Germans and then the Brazilians and then the Spaniards. Now if you all want to beat me up because of that go right ahead cuz I could care less I'm just telling the truth.

I am not attempting to start a war of geographies on this...all I am saying is 90% of the individuals I am paired up with are Canadian or US players...i.e. - North American.

It is my only frame of reference...and in my experience they are driven (no pun intended), by winning at any cost, and not by racing in a clean fashion. In retrospect I should have left that remark out, because it is not really an 'empirically sound' remark and it is somewhat prejudice. That said, I am a proud North American myself so take my commentary with a grain of salt, I meant no harm by it!

At the end of the day, I just want a relatively clean race, lets trade paint sure...muck it up a bit in the corners, a gentle nudge on the straights...its all good, that is racing!

Side swiping and blatent T-Bone tactics in the corners are just silly, and make the MP experience a shitty one for all those who are trying to have a little fun.

I suppose there is no quick cure, and in the end it is like everything else in life - which is to say there is no simple solution!

For every fix - there is a new problem created. Peeps just love to moan and groan about this,that and the other...human nature to find fault in most things. The gaming community is fickle, and racing games tend to bring out the best in some people, and the worst in others.

Pedal down, head up - and a few prayers along the way!

If the 80-90% of the people that insist on ramming and smashing everyone could learn when their racing is drawing the line and when the occasional bump or accidental bump can be tolerated, we'd all be happier people...

That's just the problem. I can take a few knocks and some paint-trading. So long as it's not deliberate and I'm not shoved off the track, I'm fine. It's just that people don't want to learn to back off, and as a result they either just decide that everyone else is a chicane to be used to get round corners, or the smallest of bumps throw them over the edge and they swear red to wrecking the hell out of whoever had the audacity to scratch their perfect red/green/pink clown-car livery.

My whole mantra of 'three strikes' works wonders for me, at least. I give everyone the chance, but only twice. The third deliberate shunt or ram and I'm going to start dishing it back, and it seems that these whack-happy kids love giving it out but don't want to take it back. :)

I'm just hoping that when this save corruption/garage bug patch finally comes out, the drivers that I know will never go beyond the occasional nudge will still be playing ... I'd rather have a close, clean race and come 5th than win because everyone else keeps smashing each other up. That's the mentality of Ye Average Xboxe Player these days, sadly.

-edit-

I will admit though that when it comes to playing online, I'm immediately suspicious of two particular countries - and 99% of the time I'm always right. ;-)

I'd rather lose clean than win dirty. Retaliation only worsens the general dirty racing atmosphere online. I prefer to try to set & spread an example of clean & fair racing.

Too many people are on a short fuse, eagerly looking for anyone to show the slightest sign of imperfection in their racing technique, just so they can have an excuse to stop racing & start wrecking. When entire lobbies are full of this hair-trigger attitude, all it takes is a slight change in wind direction to set off a free-for-all wreck-fest.

Wrecking is just a sign of poor racing skill. If someone wrecks me by mistake, they need more practice to race better. If someone wrecks me intentionally, they're showing that they lack the racing skill to win clean & fair.

Many gamers have little to no exposure to authentic real-world international motorsport. To them, every "racing" game is just another Mario Kart with different graphics & physics - and an overall community atmosphere of constant retaliation only reinforces that image while continuing the vicious cycle.

Another thing I think some folks get messed up on is that this game has slipstreaming/drafting in it. And if a more less experienced player is behind you they will forget about this. And run the guy over in front of him and if instead of seeing this as a another spot gained would just say "sorry" and pull over to the side to let this person pass them and learn from that mistake and go on. Things would be better too. 

I am also guilty of doing this above but, I gave the spots back & then some. But I also did something dumb. I setup my truck well Ute with for low downforce and long gears at Bathurst. I was just along for the ride when I got to the chicane on the backstretch because I simply forgot about the higher top speed and the same brakes. It was as a younger kid would say "epic fail". 

Today is my 40th birthday, & I was thinking that quite possibly since I started racing Karts at 8 y/o I have been racing in one way or another longer than some people have been alive. Or some of these  kid's parents have been alive! So I guess I should not hold everybody else to my experience or old age. 

I don't mind banging fenders and someone can move me off my line if they get into the corner better, but many times its malicious slamming or shunting knowing you are going to dump the other guy instead of leaving them to race another day, probably due to fear of retaliation for their actions. Everybody online drives like Nathan McKane. 

From my own experience I have noticed that people take lines differently, it come down to their background, a touring car racer would take different line to a F3 racer,. The most common thing i hear from people is the phase " i had the racing line", But what is the racing line?  People understand the theory of the racing line but fail to understand it in a racing situation. Sometimes "The optimal racing line" is only available to the car in front of you. Causing a collision is causing a collision,  does not mater if you were on the racing line, the line was not accessible and you caused a accident by pursuing it.

I go off the racing line to defend the corner quite often, I'm not doing because that's the best line I'm it doing because i know you wont be able to pass me with the line your taking without crashing into me halfway though, that's why its called going defensive. The people overtaking should know that and realize that they need to pass me before the corner or on the exit of the corner, not while in the corner.

Good drivers find ways to keep a driver behind them cleanly, good drivers find ways to pass someone cleanly.

If you cant take your line without crashing into someone then you should not be taking that line. Simple!

So blink, are you one of these guys who will move to the inside to block the turn for the guy on the racing line.?

There is one racing line.  There are not 3 or 4. The racing line, is the quickest line around the track. There is only one. 

it is not dependent on your vehicle.  The racing line is the same for F1 car as it is for a UTE.  

There's more than one racing line, just watch F1 and see the different styles and line choices by the drivers. There's usually a similar line for all, but in some cases going deep into a corner and then straightening the exit is faster than the earlier turn in for instance. Oh and the lines for an F1 car are very different for those of a UTE. Most of the time the UTE has trouble deciding whether to go forwards or sideways :D

In GRID AS the lines are a lot closer to being the same than say Shift 2 Unleashed which is more simulation, but the basics of racing are still the same, lines are dependant on the Power, Weight, and Handling characteristics of the cars and the drivers.

Yes i said that, I do, its called racing..... it not much of race if everyone just pulls over for you and says "sorry sir, am i in your way"

Nah i race fair, i will take the defensive line, yes, if you get up beside me before the corner i will give you space but if your still behind me then im entitled to take my line though the corner. If you continue with your line and hit the back of me then its your own fault. you should of watched what i was doing and instead outmanoeuvred me it on the exit of the turn if you could or figure out a way to get get past me cleanly on another corner. 

"There is one racing line" yea when you are doing qualifying laps its called the optimal racing line, but if you are in the pack actually racing and everyone just followed that one line, it be a very boring race with no overtakes.

Let me ask you, how does one overtake if there is only one line?

Agree with Blink on this - I'll go defensive if I know I'm capable of keeping ahead.  If I'm too slow, I'll concede the position and draft the fast guy to stay clear of anyone coming up behind.

I like to think I'm one of the fairest out there in terms of racing etiquette and if I've pushed someone off naughtily, I'll give back the position whether it means losing one position or going to the back of the grid.  I would rather win fairly or not at all.

Granted, I have my 'retaliation' moments that have been mentioned in this thread.  Someone blatantly attacks me, I'll retaliate back, but I always give them that one chance to see if it was an accident or not. 

Maybe if the colored dot system, needs another look. Just a simple green, yellow, & red. 

Green means everything is good to go.

Yellow means, straighten it up Mister, or Missy.

Red means, you have been a butthole to everyone in this room, and now for a race you are ghosted and are at full assist for the entire race and if you crash your car all up you can do it again until you get it right. Through this time you start in the back. When or if you get back to yellow and you have been a bad boy or bad girl, guess where you go back to. 

Or the keep the same system as it is now. And the lobby vote does not mean a kick but, you get to enjoy being red (see above). But only if you are a yellow or below.

maybe offer a bonus like if your green you get a 10% bonus at the end of the race if your yellow/orange you get a 4% bonus and if you red you get a -10% reduction of everything money and xp 

@roper2756 you already get a bonus for impact rating at the cash payout screen. But, I cannot remember if you get xp for you xp rating too.