Sign in to follow this  

Dirt 3 Telemetry and Motion simulator bug

Hey @justbiglee if you can, could you see if you can get someone to fix the bug that makes Dirt 3 crash with my gauges/transducers/motion simulator. It used to work fine in Dirt 3 1.1 but it got broken in the 1.2 patch. The official Codies response back in the day was that they were never going to fix it but I figured since you are working on the new patch to get rid of GFWL then you might be able to slip in this request. I would love to play Dirt 3 but without my gauges and tactile feedback then the game just feels dead and lifeless.

In the Dirt 3 1.2 changelog, this is what broke it.

-Physics output to motion simulators is now correctly faded out at the end of a race, preventing some situations within which motion would continue after crossing the finish line.

I think this is the change which broke it and now the game crashes as soon as you cross the finish line with a winsock error. I think what is happening is it tries to close the winsock connection twice, the winsock error is 10038 which Microsoft says is caused by closing a connection twice.

The problem is very easy to reproduce, You don't even need a motion simulator connected to see the bug, just enabling motion output is enough to make it crash.

Just change this in the hardware_settings_config.xml file in your \Documents\My Games\DiRT3\hardwaresettings folder

<motion enabled="true" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" extradata="1" />

If you leave extradata at 0 then the game will work but with no telemetry, if you set it to extradata="1" then it will crash.

This would definitely be something I'd like to see fixed - although I don't have a motion simulator, I'm rather interested in the telemetry data from all racing games. Given that they are modifying the game to remove GfWL, I'd like to see them take a few minutes to repair this.

Yes, please fix this :(
I love DIRT and other Codemaster Racing Games, but without Motion I'll not play it anymore...

PLEASE FIX THIS.... it looks like a damn simple fix that would get all the motion simulators back to dirt3

STAFF please.

++++ we really need This bug resolved please! I just bought the latest release hoping it was resolved...

This bug is STILL NOT RESOLVED; People who use motion simulators or SimVibe are hoping the Codemasters developers to fix this little issue; I love the Dirt series or/and other Codemaster racing titles, but without good telemetry data I won't purchase/play anymore...

Just got the updated version as well and its still not fixed? But why Codemasters? Pleeease Fix!

Hi,

Is there any way Codies can fix the bug where the game crashes following a race with extradata="1" in the hardware config file so I can have motion with this new GFWL free version?

Would REALLY love to see this fixed too.  Simply just can't play the game without motion. 

Please look into this. people have been asking for it for since the latest patch.

@justbiglee Hey man, fixing this should be an easy fix to keep us all going while you work out a FFB fix for DiRT Rally. Please can I encourage you to at least form a response. I haven't been able to play DiRT 3 since you brought out Patch 1.2 and broke the API with Error 10038 after the race and CTD.

Please just give us a "yes we can/will fix it shortly" or a "sod off we don't care anymore"... either will do, just as long as we know.

I am on board with other guys asking for this to be done. Dirt3 is still fun to drive but not as much with broken telemtry. Probably it shouldn't be that hard to fix, you have it working now in Dirt Rally.

I am another one who would really like to see this one fixed. As already suggested I can't believe this is a hard code bug to resolve seeing as something they did in patch 1.2 broke it.

@justbiglee

Sorry to bump this to the top, but I haven't been able to play Dirt 3 since patch 1.2 or Dirt Rally until the FFB is fixed.

While we wait for the latter patiently (I know it's coming), is there any chance of fixing Dirt 3 / Complete edition so that we can get Telemetry out without crashing at the end of every race please. This game has soo much to offer and I really enjoyed playing it until 1.2 came out :(

Just in case anyone missed this from another thread::

MrPix said:

@justbiglee - will the telemetry bug introduced in Dirt 3 patch 1.2 that is still present in Dirt number, have a watch of the credits3 (almost) Complete Edition ever be fixed?

justbiglee said:
Probably not sorry

MrPix said:

Just in case anyone missed this from another thread::

MrPix said:

@justbiglee - will the telemetry bug introduced in Dirt 3 patch 1.2 that is still present in Dirt number, have a watch of the credits3 (almost) Complete Edition ever be fixed?

justbiglee said:
Probably not sorry
Wow, really. Okay well at least we go an answer.

That really sucks, I am getting really disillusioned by codemasters lately.

It just seems that they don't care about people with unusual setups.

I had the hardest time getting my Accuforce going with Dirt Rally, I ended up having to create custom XML files for it. I have posted my fix on tons of forums and written quite a few XML files to get peoples pedals etc going.

This is really strange because my Accuforce works fine in every other codemasters game. They just need to let me override the controller type like you can in the F1 games.

I have sent @justbiglee a couple of PM's about my issues but I have not had any response.

I have also been having some other motion related problems which have gone unanswered.

It just feels like we are being marginalized and ignored.

I am about done with Dirt until they at least respond to some other the issues that us guys with motion or high end wheels have.

Both of these problems could be fixed and the fact that they won't really puts be off codemasters.  

A fix would be that easy: https://www.reddit.com/r/dirt3/comments/3sulij/unofficial_fix_to_the_extradata_bug_in_dirt3_was/

I hope they fix this in Dirt3 but, I'm still having issues with Dirt Rally too. It's the only title I use with SC4 that constantly drops telemetry requiring a complete reset of SC4 game profile for every play session.

Update: Moving my Sound-card to a different Mobo slot fixed my telemetry issue.

Here's an unofficial fix/hack that I put together to suppress the 10038 WinSock error: https://github.com/RoccoC/DiRTTelemetryErrorFix

It should work with DiRT 3 as well as DiRT Showdown.

Thanks for making this RoccoC5, but it doesn't appear to work on Windows 7. The DiRTTelemetryErrorFix starts on the taskbar but it never seems to get the hook in as expected, so it closes. I have tried clicking the fix exe even after the game is running and it still doesn't manage to get the hook in.

Is there any way we can trace the your code to see why it can't get the hook into the dirt3 exe on Windows 7? It might also be a suggestion to increase the 10 seconds to 20-30 seconds because when you start Dirt 3 using the Sim Comannder (simvibe) it takes longer than 10 seconds to start Dirt.

Hey there, good call on increasing the 10 second timeout. Are you running DiRTTelementryErrorFix.exe as an administrator? If not, try that and let me know. In the meantime I'll test it out on Windows 7.

OK, I am fairly confident I found and fixed the issue. The problem was with the DiRT 3 process name that the app was looking for (it was looking for dirt3_game.exe, not dirt3 or dirt3_game). This has been fixed in the latest build; please download again and give it a shot. Thanks!

RoccoC5 - Thanks for the fast response. I tried it and although I think it gets the hook in because I can see the program is still running after 5 minutes from starting Dirt 3, at the end of a rally stage it still reports the 10038 error and CTD.

Weird. Which variant of DiRT3 are you running? (retail version, Steam, Steam Complete Edition etc) 32 bit or 64 bit OS?

I've only tested with DiRT Showdown at the moment but will get DiRT 3 installed and troubleshoot the issue.