Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2016 PC - Wheel input cutting out every few seconds (G920)

Phenix14

Was wondering if anyone else is having this issue.  The only change I made recently was that I finally got my PC to take the Windows 10 anniversary update (and beyond).  Now, every 5 to 10 seconds my wheel input gets completely ignored in F1 2016.  This lasts for half a second or so and then input resumes.  Even on the controller axis settings screen I can see this issue showing on the bar tracking my wheel movement.  It seems to be affecting the buttons as well.  This issue is only happening in F1 2016; I've tested in the Windows controller settings screen, Project Cars, Race Room, and Forza Apex- all of these showed my wheel inputs working perfectly fine.  I've made sure my drivers are completely up to date and even reinstalled the game to no avail.

I also started having this problem with Windows 10 update on G920.

Sometimes for a split second, the wheel doesn't work. This can cause the game to miss one of my shifts and also causes the in-game steering wheel to be delayed by a split second and then immediately jump to where the real life wheel is telling it to be.

Also, during that split second of the wheel not working, force feedback is non-existent. Just adding that in case it helps to notice when the wheel isn't working so you can find a fix.

Well it looks like the problem's gone I just changed control scheme from default logitech G29 to custom. Nothing has changed in terms of handling or feedback but these input lags stopped for now at least

Edit: problem is still there it didn't help

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

the problem is still there after a lot of patches from Codemasters, so can we have a closer look at what the problem is? The wheel sometimes doesn't respond while turning into a corner. It seems like the wheel is powered off for a short time, I made a video of the problem, where you can see that the wheel is not responding and suddenly picks up the turn of the wheel when the connection is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsdoqtLY3ac

Also if I enter the configuration menu on the wheel, which should always be on regardless if the game is running or not, the display goes off too. This is not happening in any other game I play (Assetto Corsa, rFactor, iRacing, Project Cars), I don't know why it's happening in F1 2016.

You all are on PC, Windows 10?
The following might do the trick :)

For every HID and every entry under USB-Controller make sure the highlighted area in the properties is DISABLED. A lot of "Klickerei", I know, but well worth trhe effort. And yes I know there is a global setting for this in the Enerrgy-Options but I did not trust the global Setting.

Yes I'm on Windows 10 :D 

Yeah I did the thing with the global setting as you mentioned in your post, and it seemed to work at the start, but then the issues happened again. So I'll now follow your advice and disable everything I find in device manager with this energy setting  B)

Vielen Dank für die Antwort!

Unfortunately the issue is still present. I don't get it, I tried a quick race to reproduce the problem, but not a single blackout of the wheel. Then today, I played with a friend the coop career at spa, and every lap there is a blackout, so it's unplayable. I'm out of ideas, is there anything I can do to locate the exact reason of these issues?

As I have my Windows currently in my native language, I have to link to an article rather than show you some screenies and do another How To [for Dummies]: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

neruu009 said:
windows 10 is killing the wheels AND usb drivers, if you have usb3.0 devices try to get propietary drivers for those too.
latest win 10 updates are installing weird drivers for usb devices.
Never had Problems with my Wheel(s) [Fanatec and Thrustmaster] since I use Windows 10. And I am a Windows Insider since the start of the Insider Programm (September 30, 2014)!
It is more likely that a lot of the users have old Drivers installed or have had an unconsistent Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 upgraded to Windows 10. 

Hey guys,

there is no USB hub connected to the laptop, only HDMI to the TV and one USB to the Fanatec CSW Base. The laptop used is a MSI GP72-2QEi581FD.

On the MSI homepage there is no driver download for USB, or should I reinstall the chipset driver?

Okay news, I did a multiplayer session today again, but with the wheel plugged into another USB port of the laptop. Since I read in the user manual that the USB ports are either 2.0 or 3.0 ports. I drove a little bit Monaco and a training, qualifying + 50% race without any freezes/blackouts, so this could be the solution after all. But I'm not quite sure yet, I'll keep watching

@mAvbig
nice to hear that your Problems have vanished.

Just in case they return:
There is a Little tool, called USBDeview / USBDeview64 which allows you  to uninstall old USB-Drivers. Saved my ass a few times :)
You find it here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
Unplug the G920.
Download the right one for your OS, start with Adminitrator Privilegs and unistall all USB-Drivers you don't Need.
Restart the PC, install the Logitech Driver and plug in the G920 when told to. 
Once Driver Installation is finished, restart again and give it a go.

Ah I think you mixed something up with the OP, he was using a G920, I am using a Fanatec CSWv2 with F1 rim, so I don't think  this will work, should it? But played today again two grand prix, and not a single blackout, I think the USB port was the issue :smile:

Archived