Sign in to follow this  

How to disable rubber banding

Does the rubber-banding work the opposite way like if you are going slower & then like towards the end of the race. You take off and start going faster, will it make you unusually fast? 

No if the game rubber bands when you're behind it will just slow the AI down so they're easier for you to catch. That's less noticeable than suddenly having a higher top speed and more grip.

Does the rubber-banding work the opposite way like if you are going slower & then like towards the end of the race. You take off and start going faster, will it make you unusually fast? 

No if the game rubber bands when you're behind it will just slow the AI down so they're easier for you to catch. That's less noticeable than suddenly having a higher top speed and more grip.

I gotcha, we used to rubber band the heck out of Daytona USA the arcade game. Talk about super speed and unlimited grip! You were like a slot car on a rail.

The "catch-up" feature does have a small place in racing games when you are playing splitscreen with someone else that has never played this game before, or doesn't play many video games period. It makes it more fun for them to be able to at least help them get a good finish so they want to keep playing. And if you had 2 people that knew how to play the racing was always really, really close. This was usually in Nascar games though, you could have some epic battles. Which made for great fun. 

But from what I remember most all of them had the ability to turn "speed comp" on or off.

Rubberbanding does only affect the AI, yeah.

That's why there's usually some confusion between the use of the terms 'rubber-banding' and 'catchup'. Rubber-banding from my experience is generally used towards modifying the characteristics of the AI to keep them on-par with the player, whether by making them slower when ahead, making them crash, etc etc. Catchup, from my experience, is generally used towards modifying characteristics that affect the player - such as giving them better weapons when behind (Mario Kart) or by altering their characteristics (more grip in racing games such as Daytona and Playstation games like Rollcage).

I generally prefer Catchup over rubber-banding because catchup tends to be a fairer mechanic that affects everybody in a race. Example - Rollcage used catchup, which would give cars further back a speed/grip boost depending on position/distance from first. It affects the player car as well as the opponent cars and could be turned off. In the end they all do the same sort of thing though - try and keep everybody close.

So the fix was the same than in the F1 games after all. But you can save in F1 after deleting the file.

No rubber banding in GAS uh Loore?, lol

hola said:

So the fix was the same than in the F1 games after all. But you can save in F1 after deleting the file.

No rubber banding in GAS uh Loore?, lol

Did Loore really say that? God, you really can't trust CM as far as you can throw them.

I'm playing with rubber-banding turned off (hopefully, I just renamed the file).

AI actually seem a little more competent in street racing now. I just had an epic 6-car race for about 5 laps of a Barcelona street circuit. Was much more fun than with rubber-banding turned off, and Ravenwest were hopeless (race was won by an Intel Viper SRT which is funny because they're usually terrible in street lol.)

It should be easy enough to add a checkbox to the Options screen to enable/disable the AI's elastic band ability. Though they should probably bump Ravenwest's skillz a bit to compensate for the need to make them the biggest and most obvious rubber band out there...

Codemasters don't want to. lol. Loore didn't even want to admit that the game had rubber-band.

On the other side, if I can completely thrash the AI in touring cars on Very Hard using a pad, when rubber-band is disabled ... I think that the guy who ran all the benchmark times and whoever 'taught' the AI to drive need to learn to drive faster. If they did that they wouldn't need to cheat :D