Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

Codemaster's need to Beta test the games they release.

@kubica4 at least he can type and spell properly, I can't take you seriously enough because your spelling and grammar is worse than my 12-year-old sister's.

Besides, developers are rarely perfect at their own games. Every game I've played I've raced the developers on and, whilst they're very good at the games, there will always be more than enough people who become much better because the developers spend their time developing the game and can't put thousands of hours into practicing on it. I should know this because I've raced for some of the most competitive championships on Trackmania ESWC and Trackmania Nations Forever - namely STC and Nations Cup (I think STC4/5 and NC3/4). The developers of Trackmania are good at playing Trackmania, but compared to the top50 of that game (which I was close to at one point) they are rubbish.

Same with Blur. Bizarre weren't that good at Blur. It wasn't as popular as GT, Forza, etc, but it was still a brilliant game. I was ranked 2nd on it. I had the world record on Cargo Run for almost two years, and I think I still have the Front Runner mod record (or at least I'm 2nd or 3rd).

By the way, if I ever see you on 360 I am going to smash your car up just because you irritate me. Have fun.

Operator1 said:
DLT222 said:

...Over the years, I've read many reviews from many outlets -- and one thing I always keep asking myself is 'how long has this reviewer played the game?'...

Gaming media reviews are not what many of us would like to think they are. There's no objectivity when the gaming media is so dependent on game publishers. The gaming media gets much of its "news" from so-called "inside sources" at game companies who provide interviews & press releases. The gaming media gets most of its money from the game-related advertisements plastered all over their sites. No "game journalist" can afford to get blacklisted by a big game company due to having given that company bad press.

Ever see any of the biggest gaming media outlets give a bad review of any major triple-A rehashed sequels despite the ever-dwindling originality & ever-growing list of problems in those games? Of course not. Those games come from the biggest game publishers in the industry, and no gaming media outlet wants to bite the biggest hands that feed them most. Any shred of so-called "news" about upcoming triple-A games (or their DLC) drives tons of traffic to the gaming media websites - traffic that gaming media needs to stay viable.

When game companies provide pre-release copies of games to gaming media outlets so they can have reviews ready to publish on or before launch day, there are strict contractual agreements dictating what aspects of the game that the gaming media are & are not permitted to cover in their "reviews" - which is why "reviews" don't ever tell us some of the most important things about games (like whether or not the game actually works).

When making purchasing decisions, don't count on the heavily filtered & biased information provided the biggest gaming media outlets. Look for real information from real customers. Don't rely on cinematic trailers produced by marketers. Look for actual gameplay footage from independent individuals. Don't get caught up in "pre-order" buzz & "launch day" hype. Sit back & wait at least a few days to see what the game actually does when it gets out of the incubator & into the real world.

I did not purchase Grid AutoSport until a week after its launch. Unfortunately, a week was not long enough for its major issues to spread & start becoming publicly noticeable.

Very good post, though you can't expect fools or kids that get easily hyped by marketing to ever understand this. What's more, you should expect them to not even hear this you say

Codemasters needs to stop being a 'template game designer.'  Almost all Codies games over the past four years have been nothing but the same game programmed with a slight change in variables, decorated with a new title and rife with game save corruption and other bugs.

It feels like they're just plugging in varying physics and handling data and then inviting gamers to race on the same tracks with the same cars and stare at the same menus and click on the same confirmation messages and so on and so forth.

Looks like the lack of innovation has caught up to them and left the door open to some serious competition that arrives this year.  Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and Next Car Game would likely have had a harder time getting traction (no pun intended) if CM weren't releasing the same game over and over again.

OnLiveTig said:

Codemasters needs to stop being a 'template game designer.'  Almost all Codies games over the past four years have been nothing but the same game programmed with a slight change in variables, decorated with a new title and rife with game save corruption and other bugs.

It feels like they're just plugging in varying physics and handling data and then inviting gamers to race on the same tracks with the same cars and stare at the same menus and click on the same confirmation messages and so on and so forth.

Looks like the lack of innovation has caught up to them and left the door open to some serious competition that arrives this year.  Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and Next Car Game would likely have had a harder time getting traction (no pun intended) if CM weren't releasing the same game over and over again.

To be fair, it works for most major games, such as FIFA, COD and the like. They're basically the same every single year.

It's also a big job to totally redesign everything from total scratch - you wouldn't see yearly games from them, no chance. Hopefully with next-gen here, a new engine will hopefully mean a totally brand new game. And many limitations (Such that AC, pCARS and Next Car Game never had to compensate for, being brand new and focused for PC) will be thrown out of the window, opening for new possibilities and potential innovation. We have just ended an era, so things would become recycled and a bit same-y, it wasn't totally unexpected. 

Why would they make everything from scratch for the swan-song of the generation? It seems like a lot of wasted resources, considering it would already be defunct as soon as the game was released. 

Next-gen will hopefully mean we get a bit of refreshment and totally brand new games.

OnLiveTig said:

I disagree. If they were a template game designer, why would there be any issues with save game files ? Why would the custom cup selection interface be so bad ?

I wish they were a template game desinger, because you should only need to get the menus structure right once in that case. Then everything else is all about how you present it cosmetically.