Sign in to follow this  

Endurance. Unfair.

First, I like to play single player, and no, I can't play too much multiplayer because time restrictions that would make me pause the game too much at some points. 

Second, I've been playing racing games since 90s, I have all the Codemaster racing games, this does not make me a great driver, but I know how to play these games.

Having said that, Endurance is stupidly unfair. How so? Well for starters trying to throttle while in a big turn most of the time results in spinning out of control while AI ahead of you runs away like nothing and the one behind pushes you away since you are way too slow to keep up. 

While after 70% of the race your tires get worn out no matter how careful you drive you have to slow down a bit more allowing AI to catch up because you know, they don't get affected but the same rules as you. On this topic, why insisting on the AI car = tank, your car = plastic car, meaning if you barely touch them (like trying to pass them but they decide to cut you because, reasons) you get thrown away like paper.

I guess I just need to vent since that Japan track is becoming annoying thanks to AI not needing to brake apparently on some turns while you have to be careful to not spin out.

I have noticed too that at some tracks, and car combinations I am Non-Competitive against the AI. Other tracks and Car combinations I can really pull away and even lap some of the AI. @Loore Endurance though needs to have Rubber-banding Removed. Its hard enough to manage your tires without the AI constantly harrassing you even when you are faster than them. 

Well i found that in the first couple of endurance events i entered, i was having a fair bit of difficulty, not being able to conserve my tires, spinning my wheels too much and losing traction.

But honestly with a bit of practice i can dominate the AI (hard) now, and i think its just practice, cos compared to a lot of people i'm pretty slow. Learn the tracks, be smooth with throttle and brakes.

I can usually qualify 1st, then in the first half of the race i'll pushing fairly hard, gain about a 5-10 second lead. Then i can either continue to push and drift round every corner and wear out my tyres, or i can break earlier, take things a bit easy. Either way my laptimes come down, but im usually a safe distance away from the car behind, and win comfortably.

I do find some track easier than others, say Brands Hatch is more of a struggle for me, where im neck and neck with the AI, or Yas Marina i crush the AI, putting in safe laps everytime with loads of tyre wear to spare.

Rubber banding has NO PLACE in any racing game and I've very disappointed to see that it's present in this one. Patch it and get rid of it, Codies.

I totally agree with lordax, the endurance mode is a stupid event, you can just drive for 5-6 minutes, the last two minutes you car is impossibile to drive and the IA goes  like wind. In all the CM games there is always something stupid, in Grid autosport is Endurance.

This week in Brand Hatch the only trick is make the most possible stupid ramming, sweep away evey car in the turn and take the second posit, run as hell, avoid another stupid IA and...that´s all, that´s endurance?? no!! that´s is party mode, or better "stupid party mode". Other weeks was half-way interesting but this....oh!! XD, a quiestion of RAMPAGE!!!  (Dirt Showdown rules!!XD). Rubber banding makes more arcade the discipline and i think that this is not the intenttion, i guess.

Well Truth be told they should put a tyre wear option in every Discipline except drift. That is a big factor in Racing in general. But the AI always seems to have an advantage in that dept. I miss the 24 hours at LeMans that they had in Grid 1. That's the way the Endurance should be run. And have an Option to run different race lengths with a AI Teammate available to share the seat time. 

I'm ok with tire wear as long as it's fair. Those Ravenwest guys are a pain, they don't seem to be affected by tire wear. This is the part that gets me, there are several places where you have to accelerate while turning like first turn at Brands where it's also a bit bumpy, that's always a recipe for spinning out when your tires are on orange; however you can see them AI going away like nothing, while you have to cut throttling they just floor it.

Also, always night time? Really? That' lazy? I don't think that there is any endurance event that start and end at night without daylight. Why not use the same method as used on Grid 1 when racing Le Mans?  

What control method are you using? I found controlling the oversteer with a pad pretty easy, however you do need good trigger skills. Then again I raced a lot of Shift 2 where throttle control was king for a good time.

Endurance should be ACTUAL endurance. Long races, with tyre wear, NO rubber-banding and pit stops.

I play on Very Hard and have no real difficulty winning endurance races so far. With TC off tires usually get to around 25% at the end at worst, and still pretty drivable. Nathan McKane usually burns up his tires early on and drop back pretty noticeably near the end, so the AI are definitely affected by tire wear.

I've had it both ways, it really depends on the car or the track for me. I remember one occasion I got out front and gapped Ravenwest for a while at Brands Hatch then within a couple of minutes they were on my bumper and moved me out of the way on that fast right hand sweeper. From there they pulled me a second a lap and never slowed down. Aaron Westley was nearly 19 sec. ahead of me by the end of the race (24:00 minutes). My tires have never gone below 25%. 

Is turning overall damege off making your tires undamageable too? Or is this mechanic persistent?

It could be a solution of some kind...

Gotta disagree with the OP, Endurance is easy if you don't try and lead from the start.

Endurance is all about tactics yes you can tear off into the distance but you shred the tyres doing so, instead stay mid pack drive clean and in the last few laps you'l be catching the AI like you wouldn't believe.

stamp on the brakes too hard or the gas and you'll spin out this is why I always suggest using analogue buttons for throttle and brakes as you can then apply both smoothly.

Vid I made of endurance, here you can hear I'm not full throttle out of corners, I brake early to avoid lock ups, lift and coast as the tyres wear more. All this means that insterd of finishing with 5% grip you CAN end up with 20%+ IF you are careful. THATS the key to winning endurance races, patience and careful application of the gas and brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn1sr0ca4HI&list=UUfodQroh1MfPmXtSWtBjvcg