Sign in to follow this  

The Debate/CMV Thread

This thread taught me many things, but egos got in the way.

Keep it civilised.

First up for debate: Oscar Pistorius.

Commence.

I must admit, I do feel sorry for him. I know people are saying it's an 'act' etc however from what i've seen he genuinely looks shattered. 

I really haven't been keeping up with the news about it though, so i'm basing my opinion on a few 2 minute Australian news features on it. 

I just don't know about him... His story seems fishy to me, like why didn't he call the police? Why did he shoot first and ask questions later? And surely he would have noticed she wasn't in bed, the first thing you do if you think somebody is in your home is wake up whoever is with you right? 

To be honest I can't really see how he didn't know it was Reeva. He would be out of bed for ages whilst getting his legs on, he would've known that she wasn't there. Plus, of course, recognised her voice after the screams...

"Reeva, is that you in the bathroom." That's all it would of took. One does not go from "Where's my G/F?" to shooting through a door 4 times without at least asking that or confirming she isn't elsewhere.

Story is completely messed up. I'm pretty sure he's guilty.

Wakes up hears someone on the toilet starts shooting at the door, Manslaughter right there Guilty or not.

Exactly , you wake up in the middle of the night and you hear someone , you don't automatically think there's someone in the house , and even if you did , you don't get your gun and shoot like a maniac if you're not even sure it's not your g/f.

Exactly , you wake up in the middle of the night and you hear someone , you don't automatically think there's someone in the house , and even if you did , you don't get your gun and shoot like a maniac if you're not even sure it's not your g/f.
You would if you lived in SA, my friend has relatives there and it doesn't sound all that pleasant sometimes. Break-ins aren't like what they are in Britain, they will hurt you if you confront them as they are usually armed with blades or guns. With SA being the country it is, the rich usually are targeted, although i believe Pistorius' house was in a secure compound?

I can't make my mind up, before this shooting thing he seemed like a pretty cool guy. But some of the things you hear in the trial with the guns is a bit hmm

I just don't know about him... His story seems fishy to me, like why didn't he call the police? Why did he shoot first and ask questions later? And surely he would have noticed she wasn't in bed, the first thing you do if you think somebody is in your home is wake up whoever is with you right? 
From what i've read, he just looks like a power mad moron with anger issues, who now regrets having these traits.

I really want to believe him, but the evidence stacked against him just makes his try for justice unlikely. I think once he gets proved wrong, mental health issues will come up in the defence to justify his actions, or something like that. 

You would if you lived in SA, my friend has relatives there and it doesn't sound all that pleasant sometimes. Break-ins aren't like what they are in Britain, they will hurt you if you confront them as they are usually armed with blades or guns. With SA being the country it is, the rich usually are targeted, although i believe Pistorius' house was in a secure compound?

I can't make my mind up, before this shooting thing he seemed like a pretty cool guy. But some of the things you hear in the trial with the guns is a bit hmm
I agree plus with his disability and that it makes you feel more vulnerable too I should know being disabled myself. Fortunately for me though I live in a rather quiet neighbourhood but if I lived where he does I'd be keeping a gun close at hand too. I'd never wish harm on anyone but I'd certainly want t o protect myself and my possessions

Should've gone to England.

Ok, maybe that's because I'm biased and wanted to go to a match at the SoL, but shush :p

fIsince08 said:

Ok, maybe that's because I'm biased and wanted to go to a match at the SoL, but shush :p
I don't think you're biased at all tbh. I still think they should re-award it to England. I really don't like FIFA bringing football 'where it's never gone before'. What they mean by that it is bringing it to the Arab countries with loads of oil money to bribe them with.

fIsince08 said:

I don't think you're biased at all tbh. I still think they should re-award it to England. I really don't like FIFA bringing football 'where it's never gone before'. What they mean by that it is bringing it to the Arab countries with loads of oil money to bribe them with.
yeah sounds familiar doesn't it :p I domn't think they'll reaward it now anyway move it to the winter probably but I don't think they'll reaward it if they do though it'll likely go to a country with the stadiums already in place for such a competition.

They shouldn't award contracts to these places for big sporting events where the infrastructure clearly isn't ready. 

I thought Formula One would have learnt from the ****up that the first Korea race very very nearly was. Almost didn't go ahead, poor facilities, literally in the middle of nowhere (I think Seoul is about 4 hours away), with a planned City surrounding it that five years later has been barely begun on. 

They didn't even learn their lesson given they wanted to host a race in New Jersey on a track that hadn't even been designed yet. Only 18 months later. 

And the World Cup this year. Jesus they're cutting it short for getting ready. Stadiums were collapsing left, right centre a few months ago and one stadium may not even be ready. Not only that, but they've known they were hosting this for over 5 years, and at the same time have managed to leave everything till the last minute AND bankrupted both the local economies and screwed their entire countries finances in the process. 

EdMa said:
They shouldn't award contracts to these places for big sporting events where the infrastructure clearly isn't ready. 

I thought Formula One would have learnt from the ****up that the first Korea race very very nearly was. Almost didn't go ahead, poor facilities, literally in the middle of nowhere (I think Seoul is about 4 hours away), with a planned City surrounding it that five years later has been barely begun on. 

They didn't even learn their lesson given they wanted to host a race in New Jersey on a track that hadn't even been designed yet. Only 18 months later. 

And the World Cup this year. Jesus they're cutting it short for getting ready. Stadiums were collapsing left, right centre a few months ago and one stadium may not even be ready. Not only that, but they've known they were hosting this for over 5 years, and at the same time have managed to leave everything till the last minute AND bankrupted both the local economies and screwed their entire countries finances in the process. 
well Brazil has hosted the competition before I believe back in the 50's I think so they should know what their doing and with this and the Olympics coming thick and fast I'm suer they'll find someway to be ready for it.

We spent about 40 million dollars on our bid for one vote. ONE.

Qatar injected as much into Jack Warner's bank account.

This is patently absurd. They got the lowest score of all bidding nations, by an independent assessor. They failed to realise that in the summer, the weather is not exactly appropriate to football. But who cares? Sepp's account has a few extra zeros, and that's all that matters, right? Put a roof over the stadium and she'll be right? And now FIFA turns a blind eye to the suffering workers? As long as they get paid absolute minimum, that money can be funnelled back to Blatter's cronies to spend on caviar and champagne. Never mind that people are dying and barely have enough to pay for bread. No, no, that doesn't matter, we're bringing football to uncharted territories!

No bias.

We spent about 40 million dollars on our bid for one vote. ONE.

Qatar injected as much into Jack Warner's bank account.

This is patently absurd. They got the lowest score of all bidding nations, by an independent assessor. They failed to realise that in the summer, the weather is not exactly appropriate to football. But who cares? Sepp's account has a few extra zeros, and that's all that matters, right? Put a roof over the stadium and she'll be right? And now FIFA turns a blind eye to the suffering workers? As long as they get paid absolute minimum, that money can be funnelled back to Blatter's cronies to spend on caviar and champagne. Never mind that people are dying and barely have enough to pay for bread. No, no, that doesn't matter, we're bringing football to uncharted territories!

No bias.
I agree but that's unfortunately what makes the world go around now it seems if you don't have the money you're not worth the effort

I do NOT understand why they are doing it there.....I mean, who the hell watches football there? And also, where is the football atmosphere? Oh wait, it's not bloody there! If you go to brazil, for example, it is filled, absolutely filled with football fans.....They just do it for the bloody money. 

I do NOT understand why they are doing it there.....I mean, who the hell watches football there? And also, where is the football atmosphere? Oh wait, it's not bloody there! If you go to brazil, for example, it is filled, absolutely filled with football fans.....They just do it for the bloody money. 
Well i'm sure people from Qatar who sponsor Barca and own PSG watch football, along with all the people from the UAE, Saudi Arabia and the other middle east countries, and the Europeans who are out there. I think the fact that a Youth Football Championship was getting very good attendances show's there is interest.

Tbh the only country that should have got the World Cup is America