Jump to content Jump to content

The Debate/CMV Thread

onetwothree

The European elections, as far as I'm aware, have no effect one me, definitely not in the next cycle. I don't even know what the last thing they did that had any effect on me. Nor do I know who any off the people I'm voting for are or what they intend to do. I really couldn't care less either.

Next year's general election don't bother me either, at least not yet. Of the 4 parties in the limelight, 2 aren't likely to win 10 seats between them. Therefore it's a 2 horse race. Neither of the party leaders are particularly clued up with the mind-set of voters, more concerned with themselves and their front bench friends. I don't want to vote for either. The only way I will vote, is to get the current Education Secretary out of power before he ruins my younger sister's and my potential children's future. He could do serious long term damage.

The country is such a state economically that both of the potential winners will make the same decisions but for different motives, and in doing so completely miss the point. Under the current government, both my parents have taken pay cuts (both public sector payed) and are working more hours. Do I think it would be any different had a different party been in? No, I really don't.

On a local scale, whilst our current MP is a good politician and actually gives a f***, the party leader is a complete idiot and in voting for one, I vote for the other. No thanks.

EDIT: Tbf, I wouldn't mind voting for the Green Party, except they aren't available to me...
Fair enough, but that's different from what you were saying earlier. Not wanting to vote because you have no political preference is different from not doing so because you think your vote is insignificant.

Elections aren't decided by individuals. Only in small communities. Equally, when I have 1 vote in binary, rather than 5-4-3-2-1, it makes me care less. My vote does count, if I choose to make it, but it's very unlikely to change to outcome, from a mathematical point of view.

Voting is about looking after yourself and the people you care about. By not voting, you're letting your future be decided by someone else, whether it be a far-right fascist or a Stalinist-commie down the road.

I'm not politically aligned. I'll vote for whoever I think represents what I believe in. Example being I voted against our Prime Minister last time round because he's a *******.

Ron666 said:
Eeny meeny miny moe is the best way to decide who your voting for.

.. catch a...

I'll stop there. (Sorry , I couldn't help myself.)
Can anybody please explain me that ?
Jeremy Clarkson was recently involved in a racism scandal when the Mirror accused him of using the n-word right after where SILVERARR0WS left off.

I've always been for uniforms. Saves me from having to pick out an outfit seven days a week. As for the individualism thing, people will still be able to express themselves even with their uniforms, whether it be by action or words. There was an emo kid I went to school with a couple of years ago. He dyed his hair black (he was a blonde) and cut himself, a truly screwed up kid who's probably dead now, but I digress. Despite the teachers not liking it, he was able to express how his brain was just a bunch of Corn Flakes.

What I don't think is right, are teachers enforcing rules regarding things that are on a person's body like piercings, facial hair and to an extent, dying one's hair. At my old school, we were forced to shave and weren't allowed piercings and any divergence from natural hair colour was either cut out or dyed back. I can understand that piercings may have been an OHS hazard, fine, but no one's going to be hurt by a beard are they?

Another thing is that in the future, at some point, you will be required to conform with a dress code. So why not start early?

School uniform isn't about removing individualism, it's about putting everybody on a level playing field. 
Say a kid comes into school wearing £90 trainers and Calvin Klein this and that, and another kid comes in wearing a t-shirt his parents got for 99p from the local charity shops and his big brothers old shoes. That'll end up breeding resentment and neither kid will be treated equally by others.

I completely agree with @RevolvingPrawn, Although I like not wearing a uniform at college. Never hated wearing Uniform, but it can be expensive for some families, which is obviously not so good, so it has to be cheap and look decent.

School uniform isn't about removing individualism, it's about putting everybody on a level playing field. 
Say a kid comes into school wearing £90 trainers and Calvin Klein this and that, and another kid comes in wearing a t-shirt his parents got for 99p from the local charity shops and his big brothers old shoes. That'll end up breeding resentment and neither kid will be treated equally by others.
You see this is where personal opinion comes in. I don't really care what people think about what I wear - I wear what I like. People having expensive clothes just makes me think they're showing off (though I do have a superdry coat).

Plus a point AMS brought up, uniform can be expensive too. Although I never had this problem, my best friend has two sisters and they pass stuff down through the family. As my school upgraded to an academy, we changed uniform so it's really obvious if someone is in old uniform.

Also, if a family can't afford the uniform isn't it pretty obvious? I mean, someone wearing ripped, small uniform is going to be noticeable...

My old school was closely aligned with another school in the area. They had a uniform change and so you had the older kids with the old uniforms and the younger kids with the new ones. Similarly, I had mates who had hand-me-down/second hand uniforms. Although I noticed it, it was really a non-issue for me. I've been fortunate enough to not be in a position where I've worn used uniforms and I don't think it really matters whether you're wearing new or used clothes. That's the thing about uniforms, they're a great equaliser. A lot of people, I think, couldn't give a toss about how other people look in their uniforms.

yeah I wore school uniform when I was at school at least up until I joined the over 16's as we had a rule where once you'd past the age of 16 as there was a 16-19 further education unit at the school sand once you reached that age you didn't have to wear it any more.

Uniforms in school is okay, brings a certain level of discipline to kids which they will need once they enter the professional world(formal dress code) but I disagree with uniforms in colleges. I mean, come on, we have been wearing uniforms for 12 fecking years. In my college, uniform is heavily enforced(with tie being optional). School is one thing but college is entirely different, we are 18+ FFS and deserve to choose what we wish to wear. After all, we ain't going to some bloody office. I wear my uniform for most of the time, only once or twice a week I wear casuals.

I think uniform is good. It makes you look smart and the school looks professional. As onetwothree said though, I think you should be allowed a stubble, beard, etc. At my school you have to be clean shaven but as he said, what harm does it make? Some boys are still allowed a beard though cos of religious reasons.

I guess I am still missing the point here but I am gonna have another go at it. IMO, uniforms should be made compulsory in school. School makes you ready for the world. This is where you gain the knowledge, morals and ethics and somewhere down the line, there is discipline. It's not somewhat necessary that a mere uniform adds a lot to discipline but being forced to wear and the pressure of getting your ass whooped by upper authority should teach you to respect your elders, perhaps improve your attitude. Yeah I hated these things during my school life but today I understand why they were done. 

I am stating my points based on what I have experienced in my life.

I don't think uniform removes individuality, instead it adds sense of belonging, especially if your school has a good reputation.

The uniform we have is quite nice, and in 6th form you're required to have a suit, which is pretty good. That way everyone looks smart and gets things their own way, plus we have unofficial "silly shirt Fridays". Also, we can get bow-ties, which look epic!

Ron666 said:
I guess I am still missing the point here but I am gonna have another go at it. IMO, uniforms should be made compulsory in school. School makes you ready for the world. This is where you gain the knowledge, morals and ethics and somewhere down the line, there is discipline. It's not somewhat necessary that a mere uniform adds a lot to discipline but being forced to wear and the pressure of getting your ass whooped by upper authority should teach you to respect your elders, perhaps improve your attitude. Yeah I hated these things during my school life but today I understand why they were done. 

I am stating my points based on what I have experienced in my life.
Your mind is wandering again ....

Uniform in schools is totally fine, but when schools start going anal over crap like piercings, hair etc is where a line should be drawn. I once knew a girl that was suspended for having her hair shaved, it was ridiculous.

Regardless, tell me to shave my beard, I'll tell you to fuck off.

I was reading up a bit, as I do, and found that your cops don't carry guns. Down here, it is extremely rare to see a copper without a gun. Hell, we even give guns to cops who complete half the training and only work from 6 to 12.

So, should a regular patrol officer carry a firearm?

I was reading up a bit, as I do, and found that your cops don't carry guns. Down here, it is extremely rare to see a copper without a gun. Hell, we even give guns to cops who complete half the training and only work from 6 to 12.

So, should a regular patrol officer carry a firearm?
I've seen some officer's wear only Taser's without a Gun, maybe officer's with only Taser's are recruits?