Jump to content Jump to content

The Debate/CMV Thread

onetwothree

Is it just me who thinks that a closed cockpit would suffocate a driver really easily, if it was in say a. a hot location, long race with a tough, physical track. Surely the only way they get fresh air at the moment is because they're driving in an open-environment. 

That or just stick some Red-arrows type helmets on em. 

EdMa said:
Is it just me who thinks that a closed cockpit would suffocate a driver really easily, if it was in say a. a hot location, long race with a tough, physical track. Surely the only way they get fresh air at the moment is because they're driving in an open-environment. 

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Unless they have little windows on each side. I guess it's a bit of a similar situation to the LMP1 cars. I guess they get their fresh air from the windows, or do they have some air pipe?

EdMa said:

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Unless they have little windows on each side. I guess it's a bit of a similar situation to the LMP1 cars. I guess they get their fresh air from the windows, or do they have some air pipe?

The Aussie v8 drivers have a air hose connected to their helmets to get continuous fresh air.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Right. Id like to raise a new topic for discussion; feminism, mens' rights and double standards.

Last century, feminism was seen as a way to give women equal legal rights to men. And rightly so, not only has it made it better for our economy (more women in work), but it has also redefined political and social discourse for the better. However, in our time, these core values of feminism have been been forgotten. Feminism is now being used to paint any person they perceive as being even remotely opposed to the movement (whether unwittingly or not) as a misogynistic pig, and that is not right in any way you paint it.

Take the Dr Matt Taylor shirtgate incident as an example.That man worked his whole life to give all of us a better understanding of what is out there. He made one poor and unprofessional decision and now will forever be condemned as a misogynist. He received death threats. People ganged up on him and he was moved to tears. Had the roles been reversed and the death threats directed at a woman, news outlets, feminist YouTubers, bloggers and what not would have cried out for blood and hounded the offender into an apology (which I argue should happen regardless of whether the person making the threats was male or female). But no. Yet another example of double standards. What should have been a success for space exploration and for mankind humankind was sidetracked and became a commentary on the fashion sense of a single man (and if some would have you believe, men in general). I also can't help but think that, had a woman been wearing the shirt that Dr Matt was wearing, she'd be lauded as a woman "making a statement against the patriarchy", but since it was a man, it becomes unacceptable? If a woman was to wear something that openly mocks or derides men, it would be praised as "empowering". See: this example. If I was to tell a woman what to wear, whether it be to dress more modestly or more scantily, I'd be shot down by feminists who would tell me that women are free to choose as they wish, that I'm being a sexist, misogynist pig and should stay out of it, but now these same people are telling Dr Taylor what he can and cannot wear? This whole thing just screams hypocrisy and double standards. It's political correctness gone mad. Next they'll be asking NASA to edit the voice comms of the first moon landing.

Now I'd just like to make the distinction between feminism and gender equality. I firmly believe that gender equality is a fundamentally good thing; i.e., equal pay for equal work, universal suffrage and so on. That's what feminism stood for in the 50's. However, now it's being used as a means in which to freely and openly attack half the human population without fear of prosecution.

I'd also like to acknowledge that not all feminists are like this. Arguably, it is a minority of feminists that harbour these kinds of radicalised beliefs, but unfortunately, as is often the case, the active minorities are far more vocal than the indifferent majorities. The mens rights movement is not something that is cast off as something exclusively for conservative male types. What began as a way to abolish the gender subclass has effectively created something it sought to eradicate. It has morphed into a monster which many people are afraid to confront.

So what do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's time to bring this back again following all the talk of breastfeeding that's been happening. What do you guys think? Personally, I have no problem with it. A mother can feed her child anyway and anywhere that she wants and I won't complain. I'd rather eat in a restaurant with a woman breastfeeding than with a screaming hungry baby.

Hughesy said:
Hang on, what did Farage say about it then?
He said something like others would get uncomfortable, and that women should go off in a corner or somewhere more discrete. He said it on a radio station I think.
Oh right, that's a bit silly then.

Once again I have to agree with Dave though!