Jump to content Jump to content

Dirt rally crashes on startup

Porkhammer

Basically my D drive got rekt yesterday for whatever reason - which is where I had Steam and all my games installed. So I basically lost everything. I remained hopeful though, thanks to this cloud save thing. So I re-installed Steam and Dirt on my E: drive. Not only did the game not even ask whether I wanted the cloud thing (is this an automatic process?), but now it won't even reach the intro before it crashes to desktop. I doubt it has anything to do with my specs or drivers since they're the same as always and Dirt has never crashed on me before, but I shall post them, regardless.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
i5-4570
16gb ram
GTX 960 4gb
Logitech G27

All drivers are up to date. I also tried launching the game without having the wheel plugged in, without any luck.

I feel that I should mention that Dirt Rally was running while I became aware of the strange noise from the PC, upon which I pulled the plug without closing the game first. Maybe I corrupted something?
  • Codemasters Staff
Could you try renaming the DiRT Rally folder in \Documents\My Games, just in case something from there is using a path.

If that does not work could you try the following:
Right click DiRT Rally in the list of games on the left in Steam, select Properties
Select Set Launch Options and set it to "--logging" (no speech marks)
run the game again
When it crashes, go back to properties and select Local Files and then Browse Local Files
There should be a recently new file in there, could you mail that to dirtgame@codemasters.com

Then we can have a look at what is happening.

Thanks!
And I thought I had problems when I signed in today and it asked me to create a new game save because my old one was corrupt.
Nothing in Steam cloud?

I think my DR did manage to fetch a cloud save, because to my surprise, the folder was in userdata - dated the very day my HD broke. I also managed to find a very old backup in my Fraps folder (I'm so random, haha) from 4 months ago, that I put in its stead to see whether it would help my game to launch. It did not. So... I put the cloud one back.

I am very curious as to why Dirt refuses to launch now... @CMMcBabe has emailed me quite a lot of advice, and none of them has worked. Hopefully this resourceful dude has more tricks up his sleeve.
APS
AcronymDefinition
APSAmerican Phytopathological Society (St. Paul, MN)
APSAdvanced Power System (battery systems)
APSAmount Per Serving
APSAntiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome

huhh.

Thanks for brining the champ back!
(Rocky music theme in background)

Archived