F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Question: Why Did Codemasters make Online racing POOR when compared to offfline (Custom Cup)?

@Loore Do you have any reason or good answers for this? Will it be fixed?

I play in a league on a fairly large website that enjoys the F1 games tremendously, so it's frustrating to know that the Codies are capable of doing certain things with online play but don't in GRID Autosport.

Codemasters raved about Custom Cup before release, and I think it's fair to say they delivered when in comes to online play...BUT...

Then you go to create a game in Custom Cup online and it's very weak in comparison. I mean, the handling and visuals are still there but there are several things missing:

1.) Why did you DELETE the practice and qualifying options from online play?

2.) Why did you DELETE input from your engineer via the D-Pad from online play?

3.) Why can I make a racing "series" by selecting multiple tracks, but when you go to the "Advanced Options" section (as host while creating a game) the online game only allows you to select the starting position for "Race One" and none of the other races (like in offline mode) -- and even that is a GLITCH because one of the "race order" options for race one is is "previous race finish" and "previous race finish reversed" -- when there obviously has been no "previous" race? So now, not only can I not qualify, but I can't even simulate qualifying  by starting a second race (of three) according to lap times, and starting the third race by reverse grid order (you know, like they do in career mode)?!?!

Why is the online racing experience so weak and poorly thought out as compared to simgleplayer? Don't you want people to play with others? Don't you want people to form leagues and spread the word to buy your game via word of mouth? Don't you want people to gather around your game instead of being frustrated by it and moving to something else? Why do you work so hard on RaceNet when you have obviously neglected the online play?

Very perplexing indeed. And all this doesn't even mention the elephant in the corner named "corrupt". I hope this stuff gets fixed....

I agree with Robert, this game is superb in its offline modes but just feels as though the online element in terms of actual racing has been cobbled together somewhat. There should be consisitency between the offline and online modes of any game surely.

I mean no qualifying, really!! How was that looked at as a sensible way forward, it makes no sense at all. When I saw the offline Custom Cup mode I was really delighted to see that it had brought over elements from the Race Pro like practice sessions before the races and then qualifying and the ability to set reversed grids based on the previous race resuilts, etc. So to then find those elements removed for the online mode and in addition to also lose the excellent engineer feedback option (especially when there is no other lap time feedback available via split times, etc. ) were really decisions that I could not understand. Are there any plans to introduce those lost elements from the offline mode into the online mode or are we pretty much stuck with how it is at present.

I love the game in so many ways but online feels very much like it has been hamstrung for me because of these little inconsistencies.

I would really love for practise and quali to be available as an option online too. And I have found myself missing the engineer which isn't very important but is quite awesome. It's only small things, I enjoy the online Custom Cup overall though :)

I think the issues highlighted in regards to the practice and qualifying are especially important in terms of trying to run a league... Just having a random starting order doesn't cut it for me but especially seeing as the qualifying option is there offline. We thought we could get round it by setting 3 races and using the short first one as a qualfying session but you then can't set the grid order for the 3rd race. Like I said in my post it's just the inconsistency that is frustrating in an otherwise brilliant game.

Exactly as Peter said.....

You can't even work around the missing elements to "fake it" so to speak in online play because the design is so poorly constructed. If they simply added qualifying and also added the ability to order each race subsequent to race #1 (if you qualify...just like in offline) it would be acceptable. Practice would be gravy at this point, but I still don't see why online wasn't a mirror of offline.

I believe that for custom cups, qualifying should be an option.

Let's pester them so they add it in as a patch later on. :-)