Jump to content Jump to content

Safety car frequency/duration

Beans_

Hello. I was wondering how things are looking for the future of the safety car in F1 2016. I feel as though the reason on why it comes out and also the duration of it could be improved, so curious to know if anything is happening. 4 lap is quite a long time for things like a spin and since the update I have never seen a VSC. @Britpoint I've been told you will have answers, lol. 
Agree with this. I wouldn't mind 3  laps behind the SC when there's still a visible damaged car on the track, but because the cars disappear immediately it does feel like you're spending a very long time behind the SC for nothing. I think a nice balance would be to have 1 full lap behind the SC after the field is bunched up, and it comes in the next one after that, or otherwise make the cars stay on track and only have them cleared the moment the SC comes in so it serves more purpose. 

I'd also like to see debris removed from track after a VSC. sometimes there's pieces of wing all over the track throughout the whole race and it doesn't disappear when a SC comes out.
  • Codemasters Staff
Thanks for that @Lozzy ... 

I'm fairly happy with the Safety Car duration and have no plans to change it. It will stay out longer on longer races, and now has different odds of deployment depending on severity of incident.

We do have a couple more changes on the way when it comes to the AI behaviour around the Safety Car - specifically their slow pace when they are not following the delta. Once that's in you should find that it's much easier for everyone to catch up to the Safety Car once it is deployed, which in turn will make it return to the pits a little earlier.

As for VSC... it's still there and I've seen it working. The odds of triggering a VSC differ depending on race distance and incident severity, so I have to assume that's just the way the dice have fallen for you. I hope that answers your questions :)
Britpoint said:
Thanks for that @Lozzy ... 

I'm fairly happy with the Safety Car duration and have no plans to change it. It will stay out longer on longer races, and now has different odds of deployment depending on severity of incident.

We do have a couple more changes on the way when it comes to the AI behaviour around the Safety Car - specifically their slow pace when they are not following the delta. Once that's in you should find that it's much easier for everyone to catch up to the Safety Car once it is deployed, which in turn will make it return to the pits a little earlier.

As for VSC... it's still there and I've seen it . The odds of triggering a VSC differ depending on race distance and incident severity, so I have to assume that's just the way the dice have fallen for you. I hope that answers your questions :)
Hi @Britpoint . 

Can you please make sure lapped cars can overtake during safetycar? Its also in the real world. It makes no sense as a lapped car beiing the 4th car behind safety car for example. 

Its really ruining races. The lapped cars get so much disadvantage. 

Archived