Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Idonthaveawittycaptionsorry Malaysian Grand Prix

fIsince08 said:
Fantastic race, but that was unfair on Lewis. That could be the Massa at Hungary 2008 moment that costs him the title. Ricciardo was due a bit of luck though.

you just pretty much summed up how I felt about it too Gutted for Lewis as he had that one in the bag and only something like that happening would stop him unfortunate for him though that it did happen. Given the heat and humidity in that part of the world that's always possible though. Pleased for Ricciardo though he was due a bit of luck to fall his way and it happened today.

I gotta say though, what's going on with Sebastian Vettel this season? He seems to be a shadow of his former self. Sure, he has been unlucky at times and Ferrari has a bunch of morons as strategists but some of his performances this season have been erratic to say the least. I can sense desperation starting to creep in and can't help but feel that he's reaching a point which Alonso has reached in late 2013 of doubting whether his move to the reds was right or not.

I gotta say though, what's going on with Sebastian Vettel this season? He seems to be a shadow of his former self. Sure, he has been unlucky at times and Ferrari has a bunch of morons as strategists but some of his performances this season have been erratic to say the least. I can sense desperation starting to creep in and can't help but feel that he's reaching a point which Alonso has reached in late 2013 of doubting whether his move to the reds was right or not.
The thing to keep in mind is Vettel has never truly had to struggle like he is at Ferrari. Since joining Red Bull (a top team at the time), he won 38 races and four championships in five years.

Since his move to Ferrari, he's actually had to race, and while there's been moments of brilliance, we're seeing what Vettel can (or can't) do in sub-par equipment...

Begrudgingly agree. Fairly sure at this point he's had more contact with other cars than even 2010. 

Despite 4 DNF's, 3 grid penalties, 2 (potentially 3) race losing strategy errors and once starting from the back of the grid, he's still only 7 points behind Raikkonen though. Which shows in between all the crap he's endured this season, he's still delivering strong results when he has clean weekends. Consistency has been the problem. 

Well the first time Vettel had pressure was when Danny Ric became his team mate, he didn't respond well to that, so I'm not really surprised.

Vettel is having the kind of season that Hamilton had back in, I can't remember the year so I'm gonna guess this one, 2010? He was a complete wreck on the track and in his head. 

He needs next season to roll around pretty badly right now.

It was 2011 actually, but yeah, it does feel reminiscent of Hamilton in 2011. I hope he can turn things around though because we need a strong Seb to make things interesting at the top.

VetteIfan said:

Begrudgingly agree. Fairly sure at this point he's had more contact with other cars than even 2010. 

Despite 4 DNF's, 3 grid penalties, 2 (potentially 3) race losing strategy errors and once starting from the back of the grid, he's still only 7 points behind Raikkonen though. Which shows in between all the crap he's endured this season, he's still delivering strong results when he has clean weekends. Consistency has been the problem. 
To be honest, when I saw that Vettel was behind Raikkonen in the standings, I was shocked, as Kimi has not been good and suffered in results due to conflicts and issues too.

Jiggy said:
VetteIfan said:

To be honest, when I saw that Vettel was behind Raikkonen in the standings, I was shocked, as Kimi has not been good and suffered in results due to conflicts and issues too.
He's had 2 DNF's and one grid drop, plus a few first corner collisions which Vettel has also been involved in and also taken pain from. So really nothing compared to what Vettel's had to deal with. If you take bad luck and awful strategy out of it Seb would probably be beating him by around 30-40 points right now. Which is a pretty significant margin considering there's only 2-3 points between each position from 2nd and below.

"Hätte, hätte, Fahradkette", as we say in Vettels motherland!

If this [had happened], than that [would be todays result] means NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neither in Golf, Tennis, American Footbal, Fishing nor in Motorsports.
The result is what counts.

@ the present Point in time:
Rosberg is better than British sook Hamilton
Riccoardo is better than Belgian Psychopath Verstappen
Raikonnen is better than German torpedo Vettel
Bottas is better than Massa
tbc

VetteIfan said:
Jiggy said:
VetteIfan said:

He's had 2 DNF's and one grid drop, plus a few first corner collisions which Vettel has also been involved in and also taken pain from. So really nothing compared to what Vettel's had to deal with. If you take bad luck and awful strategy out of it Seb would probably be beating him by around 30-40 points right now. Which is a pretty significant margin considering there's only 2-3 points between each position from 2nd and below.
Guess that went under the radar for me then. Overall a disastrous season for Ferrari, so you just lose sight of everything.

Yet another new engine is Lewis's car,does that mean he gets another grid penalty?

I suspect as much yes and Japan is not a place you really want to be penalised given how narrow the track is really as he'll likely be carrying it most of the race weekend. All he can hope for really is what happened to him in Malaysia happens to Rosberg in Japan or at least for Rosberg to end up with another hampered race like in Malaysia where he got T-boned. Then hope he gets a run at Rosberg in the American races which he should do because he tends to go well at least in COTA he does normally.