Sign in to follow this  

Newbie seeking info...

Just started online multiplayer yesterday. Fantastic fun, although I seemed to get bumped (RAMMED!) by many overtakers no matter how much room I allow, even on the straights.  Drivers did better in TOURING than OPEN WHEEL in giving space and racing clean, which surprised me a bit since I expected more contact in the touring cars. Today I had been in a racing lobby for a while with other racers coming and going over a couple of hours, there was a period when there were only 4-5 drivers, then all new drivers filled up the grid and after the first race I got KICKED? I may have been the only one without voice set-up, so I don't know of any discussion that may have occurred. I try to avoid contact, if anything erring on the side of caution, my efforts to avoid a car ahead often led to contact from behind. Anyway, just wondering if I should be questioning my play, or can this happen if a group (clique) decides to take over a lobby?  I just moved on to another lobby (party?) but of course, lost my grid position.

Also, how can I find out what the icons next to the driver's names mean (white, yellow, green), along with any other general information about the game?

Play custom rooms, not the public ones - you're more likely to find like-minded people you'll enjoy playing with, making friends is a bonus.

I usually search for Collision On, Impact Rating On, Flashbacks None - and I usually find a room I'm ok with, or better, players I know already. Choose your own prefered settings and see if you find happiness.

The colors (white, green, yellow, orange, red) are a poor attempt at showing how clean you are at racing - it means as well, unfortunately, how much you get screwed. It's more a contact indicator if it makes any sense.

Anyway, hope you find the fun you're seeking for ;)

Thanks, I hadn't checked out the custom rooms yet. I suppose I'll need to get set up with a headset to do this properly. I have gotten three "sorry" messages (and one death threat!), Not sure how to msg while playing, I had to wait until I was back on the console (quit game) to read them. It's all fun, just trying to "read the crowd" so to speak. Thanks again. 

Unfortunately, there's no text chat, so either you choose to go the headset way (and be prepared for some annoying races if you didn't mute people- or some good fun if you find normal people), or you mute everyone and you end up in noones land.

It may take some time to find your marks.....good luck tho.

The kick vote is necessary, but can be abused with ease... Sometimes people kicks guys who have a lot of points or are just better then them, not crashers or cheaters. Its unfortunate, but its a reality, one I wouldnt know how to solve, because it all depends on the people who are in the room.

The kick vote is necessary, but can be abused with ease... Sometimes people kicks guys who have a lot of points or are just better then them, not crashers or cheaters. Its unfortunate, but its a reality, one I wouldnt know how to solve, because it all depends on the people who are in the room.

That makes sense, I certainly wasn't better, though I did have a top grid position due to my time in the lobby. Not a crasher and not cheating. I wasn't trying to block the faster cars on the straights, but I did take the line I thought best in the corners if it was clear,  and being in front at the start, I am sure there was a lot of scrambling/scraping behind me. I suppose I assumed this would be a realistic challenge, similar to a certain Brit who managed to get past several slower cars recently in Hungary, without crashing them or banning them from the track. Based on the online races I've run so far, I should probably be mid-pack at the start, P5 - P7 depending on the number of cars. I am using loaners most of the time. In the future, if I find myself at the front of the grid due to players retiring, I may move on and start over at the back. I know some players were able to join and quickly acquire the points to start up front. 

One thing is odd, after my first few races, I was surprised to see my car highlighted as "one to watch" due to my average speed of "3,436.23 mph"! I figured it was a computer glitch, but maybe others thought I was cheating. I would fix it if I knew how. I figured over time, it will average out, I am now down to 1,423 mph average. Not sure what advantage I would gain from an inflated average speed statistic.

Thanks for the input, VG.