Sign in to follow this  

Sim Racing = Cockpit View

This was mentioned on another thread but is there any reason why F1 2016 fast drivers use T-Bar view, which is unusual in other racing sims. I know the cockpit in a modern F1 car is claustrophobic and restrictive view wise, but surely that is part of the challenge in trying to hit fast lap times.
Nearly all of the fast hot laps set on YouTube show the T-Bar view, very unusual for a Race Sim, never seen this before....... 
  • Agree 1

Cockpit view scared the crap out of me when I first tried it, because of what @AnthonyLee59 mentions about spotting the apex. So I ran my first races in career with T-cam. But it got old quickly. Being so high up seemed unnatural. Looking down to the lower right to see the tach was too distracting, and on top of that, it COVERS UP THE MIRROR!

So about my 5th career race, I decided to give cockpit cam a try again. I moved the camera up as far as it goes and a little back, too. I love it. Once I got used to it I feel I can see the apex just as well as before (knowing the track obviously helps). I have my important info right in front of me on the virtual steering wheel. And it just feels so cool to be in the cockpit, it really increases the adrenaline rush of being on the limit, and I haven't gotten slower, but faster. Went from hard to expert after the change to cockpit mode.

I am not a purist so I won't slag anyone using exterior cameras. It's a game so it should be fun for everyone. I just like cockpit cams because of the immersion. In PCARS, Assetto and DR I am faster in bonnet cam but I play helmet/dash/cockpit respectively because it's just more fun for me, even though it might cost me a bit of time. However, in F1 2016 I am faster in cockpit cam. To me it just feels more in-tune with what the car is doing.

My next challenge is to turn off M Traction Control!

I'd love to use the cockpit view if  there was an option to switch the wheel to static and if I could use the screen on the wheel to display/cycle my MFD.
I use cockpit views in most racing games but in F1 2016 I find it too off putting watching another set of hands move another wheel on a screen in front of me while I'm trying to do the same.

I'd love to use the cockpit view if  there was an option to switch the wheel to static and if I could use the screen on the wheel to display/cycle my MFD.
I use cockpit views in most racing games but in F1 2016 I find it too off putting watching another set of hands move another wheel on a screen in front of me while I'm trying to do the same.
The general thought on that is to use the "correct" FOV and setup. Then your wheel should overlay the wheel on the screen. Your wheel and hands will then block your view of the wheel on the screen. 

Considering cockpit view adjustment settings is rather new for this game (on consoles) it might just take sometime to catch on. If you have been on the forum long enough you will find the majority of the players dont want to play in a way it feels like they are driving a F1 car. They want to play it in a way that feels like they are watching it on T.V.  instead of actually driving the car. Even to the point of  ruining the tracks by stretching out the corners from setting their FOV way to high to replicate what it looks like with the fish eyed lens TV broadcasts uses for onboards.  Like i mentioned in the other thread the past games cockpit view were the exact opposite of touching anything near reality. They were just horrible. So I cant really blame those who are use to using tcam views.  

kevinkirk said:
The general thought on that is to use the "correct" FOV and setup. Then your wheel should overlay the wheel on the screen. Your wheel and hands will then block your view of the wheel on the screen. 
If my wheel and hands are blocking the wheel on screen, how can I see what gear I'm in?
if this is the 'general thought' on the subject, then generally people must be pretty stupid.

Thats why a lot of purist use 3rd party apps to see the gear infornation or they play on pc with a wheel that shows you the gear and revs

@LudwigVonMises
What settings do you use for the cockpit camera view?
Thanks

kevinkirk said:
If my wheel and hands are blocking the wheel on screen, how can I see what gear I'm in?
if this is the 'general thought' on the subject, then generally people must be pretty stupid.
Please tell me you're joking.

I love cockpit view. I never did adjust it. Just get used to it. 

Playing with Tcam makes it easier it would feel like cheating for me. 

On Racedepartment you find e mod called "removing hand"....it remove hands and lock steering wheel.
Hoping that Codemaster in next patches give us option for removing steering wheel...

Hardly see them on PC.......need a mod to crank it up  oops wrong topic

@dwin20 I'm not sure offhand. I have the vertical setting maxed out. Then I moved the camera back a bit (horizontally) and I also made a small adjustment on the mirrors. The most important for me was the vertical, to be a bit higher and have a better view of the track.

kevinkirk said:
kevinkirk said:
Please tell me you're joking.
Xbox one, controller.
The only joke here is you mate.

ingaer said:
On Racedepartment you find e mod called "removing hand"....it remove hands and lock steering wheel.
Hoping that Codemaster in next patches give us option for removing steering wheel...
Yeah me too. If they had an option to just leave it static I'd be happy.

Xbox one, controller.

lol, guy you think players that have their rig setup correctly is stupid. You dont understand FOV enough to find away around the hands being on the screen and at no point did it dawn on you that third party apps would tell you what gear your in. Standing in that light like you are at this moment, are you sure your the one that should be judging how other people play the game? As far as wheels go, unfortunately i have had more than enough wheels in the past 30 some years to really get the full understanding of how stupid your comment is. In fact the last wheel I had i accidently left it over your moms house. 

kevinkirk said:
Xbox one, controller.

lol, guy you think players that have their rig setup correctly is stupid. You dont understand FOV enough to find away around the hands being on the screen and at no point did it dawn on you that third party apps would tell you what gear your in. Standing in that light like you are at this moment, are you sure your the one that should be judging how other people play the game? As far as wheels go, unfortunately i have had more than enough wheels in the past 30 some years to really get the full understanding of how stupid your comment is. In fact the last wheel I had i accidently left it over your moms house. 
You sound upset. I apologise. If I knew I was conversing with a 12 yo American I would of simplified my comments somewhat.

kevinkirk said:
Xbox one, controller.

You sound upset. I apologise. If I knew I was conversing with a 12 yo American I would of simplified my comments somewhat.

another little tip to save you from your wheel versus controller users is jokes logic. You can only use that on players that don't understand how games work. There aren't actual parts connecting what you are controlling the game with directly to the actual wheels that would cause problems like it would trying to drive a real car with a controller. This is virtual reality. It's all a programm entered into the game. Your wheel functions off of a program designed into the game just like a controller functions off of a program designed into the game. As far as virtual reality is concerned (unlike a real car) they both work the exact same way. How they are programmed into the game.

Some people use the cockpit view, and they are fast as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ0yhLOQCz0

DGreco said:
Some people use the cockpit view, and they are fast as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ0yhLOQCz0
Thats closer to tcam view than a cockpit view

kevinkirk said:
 DGreco said:
Thats closer to tcam view than a cockpit view

I've got one private video from my Yt channel,but I haven't published it and no one else expect me haven't see it so https://youtu.be/5L7-3eVsCBk

It's not about just being in cockpit view. It's about being in an accurate cockpit view. Most cockpit view user has it set way to high and the FOV way to large across all the racing games.