Sign in to follow this  

Sim Racing = Cockpit View

This is kind of related to the topic, does anyone know what the default FOV is when the slider is at 0.0?

I'm trying to get 35 vertical FOV but it's just a bar instead of actual real numbers...

This was mentioned on another thread but is there any reason why F1 2016 fast drivers use T-Bar view, which is unusual in other racing sims. I know the cockpit in a modern F1 car is claustrophobic and restrictive view wise, but surely that is part of the challenge in trying to hit fast lap times.
Nearly all of the fast hot laps set on YouTube show the T-Bar view, very unusual for a Race Sim, never seen this before....... 
Any view other than the cockpit view IMO is immature, puerile, unprofessional, because it is not the way an F1 driver views the track from  inside his helmet. An F1 driver sees pure COCKPIT! These  other views in sim racers  were built to accommodate a sort of arcade racing, and mind you, the various chase views existed before the cockpit view, which came along as technology progressed.  Are folks who play chase and  other views normally faster, yes! Why, because they have a purview of the road ahead not afforded the sim driver using the cockpit view, where the focus is on looking for the corner apices on tracks to execute their turn in and out strategies which calls upon a greater skill set than those not using cockpit view.  Can a cockpit view sim driver be faster than a chase view driver, yes, but it takes longer to master, for reasons I've already stated. I have always used the cockpit view and always will.  I can't even drive properly in chase view, which I use in search and find missions and which  I find very artificial and have always wondered why in the world would anyone use that view in a serious sim racer as F1 2016!!!????

This was mentioned on another thread but is there any reason why F1 2016 fast drivers use T-Bar view, which is unusual in other racing sims. I know the cockpit in a modern F1 car is claustrophobic and restrictive view wise, but surely that is part of the challenge in trying to hit fast lap times.
Nearly all of the fast hot laps set on YouTube show the T-Bar view, very unusual for a Race Sim, never seen this before....... 
Any view other than the cockpit view IMO is immature, puerile, unprofessional, because it is not the way an F1 driver views the track from  inside his helmet. An F1 driver sees pure COCKPIT! These  other views in sim racers  were built to accommodate a sort of arcade racing, and mind you, the various chase views existed before the cockpit view, which came along as technology progressed.  Are folks who play chase and  other views normally faster, yes! Why, because they have a purview of the road ahead not afforded the sim driver using the cockpit view, where the focus is on looking for the corner apices on tracks to execute their turn in and out strategies which calls upon a greater skill set than those not using cockpit view.  Can a cockpit view sim driver be faster than a chase view driver, yes, but it takes longer to master, for reasons I've already stated. I have always used the cockpit view and always will.  I can't even drive properly in chase view, which I use in search and find missions and which  I find very artificial and have always wondered why in the world would anyone use that view in a serious sim racer as F1 2016!!!????
You have to have in mind, that we are playing the game, not real life simulator...
Anyway, apart from that i agree. And it seems to me that is even easier to drive in cockpit than T-cam. I have a feeling i have more control over my car, more traction. And even my lap times are faster especially since i bought a wheel.

Zviko said:
You have to have in mind, that we are playing the game, not real life simulator...
Anyway, apart from that i agree. And it seems to me that is even easier to drive in cockpit than T-cam. I have a feeling i have more control over my car, more traction. And even my lap times are faster especially since i bought a wheel.
I use cockpit for career but online, T-Cam. I don't want to be cutting people up because I wasn't able to see them and T-Cam gives a better overall view of whats happening. With the ability to change view this year it did mean I could get a T-Cam view and a Cockpit view which worked better for me, so going forward maybe Cockpit would have gotten more use. But they stopped supporting game and I refunded instead.

Oh well.

FRACTURED said:
Zviko said:
I use cockpit for career but online, T-Cam. I don't want to be cutting people up because I wasn't able to see them and T-Cam gives a better overall view of whats happening. With the ability to change view this year it did mean I could get a T-Cam view and a Cockpit view which worked better for me, so going forward maybe Cockpit would have gotten more use. But they stopped supporting game and I refunded instead.

Oh well.
I get the feeling that whole comment was set up just so you could let it be known you refunded the game because they "stopped supporting" it.

kevinkirk said:
I get the feeling that whole comment was set up just so you could let it be known you refunded the game because they "stopped supporting" it.
I get the feeling your whole comment was setup so you could put "stopped supporting" in quotations? :)

Nah, I had mentioned something about the racing views in some PM's with FOF and thought I'd explain more how I had setup, as he was very anti-TCAM and I prefer it when racing humans, but enjoy immersion of Cockpit when racing career. 

Is there something inherently wrong with letting people know they could have gotten a refund? My sig links to the consumer rights 2015 for UK which allows us to refund games. If everyone who is not now playing the game (and there are an awful lot) refunded it that might actually send a message about whats not acceptable from them you know?

FRACTURED said:
kevinkirk said:
I get the feeling your whole comment was setup so you could put "stopped supporting" in quotations? :)

Nah, I had mentioned something about the racing views in some PM's with FOF and thought I'd explain more how I had setup, as he was very anti-TCAM and I prefer it when racing humans, but enjoy immersion of Cockpit when racing career. 

Is there something inherently wrong with letting people know they could have gotten a refund? My sig links to the consumer rights 2015 for UK which allows us to refund games. If everyone who is not now playing the game (and there are an awful lot) refunded it that might actually send a message about whats not acceptable from them you know?

quotations means I'm quoting you, so I had to put them there. There isn't anything wrong with  your point or your opinion on the game. As for myself,I still play the game because I enjoy it. I hope your efforts result in a F1 game that you can enjoy also.

I do get the lack of real life human FOV and awareness that is missing using cockpit view, but this can be dealt with through practice and the proximity arrows work just as well in cockpit view as they do in T Cam. Using T Cam view is not the same as cheating, but it is an assist. No way around that. Pick any blind corner in the game. The quick 5th gear corner at Spain for example that leads to the back straight. It is a whole different ballgame taking that corner in cockpit view than it is in T Cam. Eau Rouge is another great example especially if you adjust the vertical cam to close to real life values. It is very difficult to get right from the cockpit if you are not at full concentration. 

I have used cockpit view since I bought the game. I changed the FOV so my driver sits up higher, makes it much easier to see.

On 10/9/2016 at 1:49 AM, AnthonyLee59 said:

I guess it's easier to spot the apex due to the heightened viewpoint... quite obviously they are noobs!

100% 😎

7 minutes ago, BluntRS said:

100% 😎

Noobs is not fair. Cheats would be more accurate especially with racing line and assists as well!! 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Noobs is not fair. Cheats would be more accurate especially with racing line and assists as well!! 

Posted two minutes after saying below in another thread 😂

297D289D-169F-4C6D-B4E1-7AADB3D6055E.jpeg

Edited by Andrew210227
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

I didn't say it 😎 well not this time.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew210227 said:

Posted two minutes after saying below in another thread 😂

297D289D-169F-4C6D-B4E1-7AADB3D6055E.jpeg

Well if you can't see the difference between doing real life things (ordering new parts and getting penalties) in Career mode to give you a car that doesnt break down or underperform against the AI VERSUS using every assist banned in real life plus views impossible for real life drivers against HUMAN opponents to get an unfair advantage.... 

I mean you can't actually cheat vs ai opponents.. That's why it's called a game and you could set them to 0 if you were that bad a driver without it being called cheating. It's NOT a game so much against other humans, it's more of a sport. We all know what lengths people will go to in order to achieve results against other competitors. I think surely I have made my point now! 

What of the current eSports Pro's? They use the T-Cam instead of the cockpit view. Are they noobs? Just asking lol. Joking aside. If the did happen to move to cockpit view they'll slow down up to three seconds. Some may not slow down at all. 

5 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

What of the current eSports Pro's? They use the T-Cam instead of the cockpit view. Are they noobs? Just asking lol. Joking aside. If the did happen to move to cockpit view they'll slow down up to three seconds. Some may not slow down at all. 

Personally wouldnt call them ESports Pro's, but in my opinion yea they are,

Look at the link I put in track limits I think, thats a ESport player infront blatantly abusing track limits ( this is text book Forza, get results by any means necessary , each to thier own but to call them Pro's in a insult to Pro's. 

• Agree 2

On 10/9/2016 at 2:48 AM, PaulMcQueen said:

It has an advantage as you see more of the track and the cars next to you. I tried a few times to drive in T-cam but it just isn't so much fun as cockpit. I don't need to be the fastest I just want to have fun when racing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

I see what you're referring to @BluntRS. That's way outside of track limits. 

Which if it was a mistake ( Which I dont bielve it was ), fair enough, but to keep your foot in and exploit ( Should of lifted, tried again to be a good sport imo ), makes TT pointless ( More people see the video on youtube, more people with do it ), cause unless you play by thier rules, which I for one refuse to do, no point even bothering with. with TT or events,

Orginal Project Cars Clio Cup event, Silverstone event, someone found a exploit, if you drove through the pits, basically cutting out the last 3/4 corners you saved a ton of time 😡

Its sad but online now has zero to do with true competition, its who can exploit the game the most.

56 minutes ago, BluntRS said:

Its sad but online now has zero to do with true competition, its who can exploit the game the most.

Yep. That is true in a lot of sims, but something as basic as cockpit being forced should be automatic. IRacing doesn't have any exterior cam options for a reason.

There is some Arcade in this game, as well there should be. But there also needs to be a Sim option. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Yep. That is true in a lot of sims, but something as basic as cockpit being forced should be automatic. IRacing doesn't have any exterior cam options for a reason.

There is some Arcade in this game, as well there should be. But there also needs to be a Sim option. 

And those Sim options in reality makes zero difference to anyone who doesnt want to participate, thier still gonna have access to the same lobbys as they do now,

Makes zero sence to me concidering the amount of games with the option, even though majority dont use the feature.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BluntRS said:

And those Sim options in reality makes zero difference to anyone who doesnt want to participate, thier still gonna have access to the same lobbys as they do now,

Makes zero sence to me concidering the amount of games with the option, even though majority dont use the feature.

Agreed. Considering they obviously put a lot of time and effort into catering to wheel users, the encouragement if sitting on top of the car is baffling.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Agreed. Considering they obviously put a lot of time and effort into catering to wheel users, the encouragement if sitting on top of the car is baffling.

Cater for all, or cater for none and sell the licence in my opinion.😎

• Like 1

Making the game perfect would mean gamers would keep playing it for years and not buy the next year's game. Please don't down vote me lol it's not my opinion it's a plain developmental fact! 

:classic_ninja:

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2