Sign in to follow this  

Tyre wear bug - Wear depends on starting tyre?

Question

I´ve tested a lot in china with my league mates last week. 

Multiple Races on the same setups by clear weather, with the same driving style in the same cars ONLINE!

XBOX One - Online Mode - China - 50% - Clear Weather - Full lobbies - Same Setup ( Every Player got his own, but all players tested with the same in every race)

We have all  noticed the same...

Soft/medium: 5/6% tyre wear per lap on mediums
SS/medium: 7/8% tyre wear per lap on mediums

Just the Supersoft tyre wear never changed! All the time the new  supersofts are  at 75%  after 7 - 8 Laps

Summary: Starting on the supersofts in china is increasing the tyre wear of the softs and mediums massively. 

almafi said:
Honestly what are we doing here?
Are we racing or pushing this thread up till this bug is fixed :wink:

it needs to be fixed ASAP
i mean the season is over and now you can work on the new patch without any hesitation! 

This is starting to get ridicolous, at least an update when or if a fix will be released would be nice, so we know that this was acknowledged, but complete silence is unaccaptable, considering the promises that were made.

Untill this bug the patches worked pretty well ( exept of the PS4 patch that ruined online for 2 weeks) and the communication was pretty good, but now codies are falling back into bad habits. 

@Lozzy @Britpoint

Well here we go then. My turn. I'm sure I will be repeating what others have said already but my frustration about this bug has built to where I need to get it off my chest on here.

This bug is game breaking. That's right. GAME BREAKING. As such, it needs to be addressed ASAP. I race in AOR Split 1 on the Xbox One. This tyre wear bug has been a killer for league races. It renders qualifying almost useless. It is sometimes more advantageous, especially on tracks with higher tyre wear, to start outside the top 10 than inside the top 10 simply because you will have so much less tyre wear than those ahead if you choose to start on the middle or hardest compound. It has come to the point where on some tracks I am actually contemplating trying to qualify P11 to exploit the extra tyre life, rather than going all out and trying to get the fastest possible time and then suffering the worse tyre wear throughout the race.

It's almost as if when you start on the middle or harder compounds for a 50% distance race, the tyre wear doesn't scale to 50% like it does if you started on the softest compound, and is scaled to 75 or 100% wear (essentially half the tyre wear). I just had a league race around Canada on Sunday. The tyres available in a dry race are US, SS and S. I compared tyre wear with someone who started on the S compound vs my tyre wear starting on the US. In the final stint, I put on the mandatory Soft tyres and they put on the Ultra Soft the same lap as me. At the end of the race, we had about the same amount of tyre wear. You can see how advantageous this tyre wear bug can be for those who start on the harder compounds. The pace difference between the US and the S at Canada was ~1 second per lap. Over a whole stint that is 15-20 seconds if they are deteriorating at the same rate! I'm well known for being very good at saving my tyres, and at this point it's indisputable that there is a serious bug present. 

All we want is some communication. I'm aware you guys have been busy having just released the mobile game, but please don't leave us in the dark. If you guys can't fix this, please let us know. If you can, then great! We would just very much appreciate some back and forth, maybe so we can resolve this issue together. When I discovered the game breaking 'falling too far back' safety car glitch, I opened a thread and got a response very quickly (and a subsequent patch!). But now there is another game breaking glitch found and we've not heard anything for a while. It's a shame.

I guess all I'm hoping for right now is a response.

Thanks,
Seiyariu

Can someone please give me a quick, brief explaination on what this bug is. Sorry, yes, I've been hiding in a cupboard for months. :) 
if you are starting on the middle or on the hardest compound, you get 1-2 % less tyre wear on them, then the guys starting on the softest compound.

Basically it gives everyone outside the top with the free tyre choice a huge advantage compared to the Top 10 , therefore it is game breaking

Starting on the..
Softest Compound 25% Race Tyre wear scaling
Middle Compound 50% Race Tyre wear scaling
Hardest Compound 100% Race Tyre wear scaling

I've not posted anything because I have no news to post at the moment. When there is I will post it.

Lozzy said:
I've not posted anything because I have no news to post at the moment. When there is I will post it.

So what have the developers from Codemasters done after 2 months where this
thread was opened?

Starting on the..
that isn't what I've found. what you're suggesting is that the wear rate would be 4x less on hardest vs softest when it's really about 2x. Still is a huge difference though.
Nagrom said:
Is the issue only online ?              
Nope. I've just done a test in Quick Race and it's in offline as well. Can't confirm career but I would imagine that it appears in all game modes that have tyre wear present.

Lozzy said:

thanks for the response. I do apologise on behalf of everyone if we are coming across as impatient and/or rude in some instances.

I've just conducted a little test so hopefully it can be of use to you and the team. Here is the video and my findings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bADgb-4Pzwc&feature=youtu.be

I drove 3 runs each starting on different tyres which you can see in the top right.

I pitted at the end of the first lap and took the super softs until I hit 70% on my tyres. I drove the same smooth style on all runs, hitting roughly the same laptimes (sometimes it varied as I had to pass AI). I used the same setup each time, with the same starting fuel. Standard Mix throughout the entire run only and no DRS.

As you can see the results vary a lot.
Starting on the SS I managed 7 laps before I hit 70%.
Starting on the S I managed 12 laps before I hit 70%.
Starting on the M I managed 13 laps before I hit 70%.

In conclusion, it seems to be the case that the harder the tyres you start on, the better your tyre wear will be throughout the race. Starting on the hardest compound gives you roughly 50% the wear of starting on the softest compound. Starting on the middle compound gives you about 60% the wear of starting on the softest compound. In other words, starting on the softest compound gives you double the tyre wear compared to someone starting on the hardest compound.

Lozzy said:

It's better to reply at least sometimes so the community is aware that it us looked into, instead going silent over a month, even when there are no news

Seiyariu said:
Starting on the..
that isn't what I've found. what you're suggesting is that the wear rate would be 4x less on hardest vs softest when it's really about 2x. Still is a huge difference though.
Nagrom said:
Is the issue only online ?              
Nope. I've just done a test in Quick Race and it's in offline as well. Can't confirm career but I would imagine that it appears in all game modes that have tyre wear present.
Was just a consideration! Good job with the Video and your explanation! I couldn't say this better with my bad english xD! 

I think that they know exactly which is the problem (at least 1 month already) and they know exactly how to solve the problem.... but they do not plan to release new patches.
F1 2016 is a good game (nothing is perfect) ---> F1 2017 will be the next patch :#

Really looking forward to this bug getting fixed. It is absolutely no fun to race anymore with that in mind.

Each time I have a good race I ask myself afterwards: Did I achieve this because of the tyrewear? Same after bad results. The tyrewear became the main factor in league racing, with most people now not even setting a time in qualifying so they can start on the hardest compound. And these guys (starting outside the Top 10) get on the podium or take the win on most occasions. I'm really sad because F1 2016 is one of the games I spent most of my free time with. 

In our league we have to force all the player to start with the softer tire. It's annoying  because you can’t use alternative strategies.

It couldn’t be too hard to fix, CM

F1Ita, why you force medium instead of the softer one? With this setup, probably all players only need to stop one time...

Guys please do something against it.
In our racing league 40% of the drivers wait in the pits and dont do a single lap, 2 were driving with intermediates and the rest used the harder tire.
It's ridiculous, it destroys the whole Qualifying..

Lozzy said:

It's pretty clear to see that codemasters have given up on F1 2016. Two months+ and still no patch, yet you guys managed to make a patch in a few days in the past. 

At least tell us you guys can't be bothered anymore instead of giving everyone else false hope. 

Its anout time EA bought the rights to F1 2017 and make a game worth playing. 

Codemasters is a very ironic company name for a company that can't code.