Sign in to follow this  

Tyre wear bug - Wear depends on starting tyre?

What about you guys try to fix this issue, then add a reasonable delay for next year's game based on how much time you have spent to apply said patches?
I think we can all wait a month or even something more before switching to f1 2017 if we know we have a valid title to play with in order to kill the time...

Fix it now for 2016 and hey presto, you now know how to fix it in 2017 also.

Made the exact same observations last year, there were known issues you could have corrected on 15 and carried over to 16, but no, instead you left things broke in 15 then still didn't fix them for 16. Just gotta laugh I suppose. 

Must be tough trying to defend a position that you know is just total BS.

This bug is the cumbersome bizarre. My racing league is stuck waiting for a patch to fix this problem. All agreed to wait for the end of the year and ask God for a miracle and CM to solve the problem!

They ended up the race strategy with this annoying bug!

I think it's pretty clear we won't see another patch. It's due to the way Codemasters reply to the complaints and we all know, they are not exactly keen on confirming bad news.
Remember the release of F1 2015? Everyone was all up in arms about the safety car apparently missing and when Codemasters was questioned about this, they suddenly have forgot how to communicate. That is until *after* the games has been released and they suddenly had a response and an explanation.

I would love to be wrong about this, but it isn't exactly looking good.

Great video Nagrom, shows the problem perfectly.

I'd be massively surprised if it got a fix though, when devs go silent it's never a good sign.

Here is another one, same test at abu dhabi, but testing Soft tyre wear instead of US.
Same issue show, even greater differences in wear I think :/
https://youtu.be/vGIF3VOG6Gg

Nagrom said:
Here is another one, same test at abu dhabi, but testing Soft tyre wear instead of US.
Same issue show, even greater differences in wear I think :/
https://youtu.be/vGIF3VOG6Gg
That's absolutely ridiculous. 

Will end the year without any new patches. Hopefully next year they will release a final patch with all the bugs discovered so far!

That tire wear bug is making me stressful.

I've actually stopped playing because of the bug, races just don't feel genuine anymore, completely straight line strategy every time, what's the point in changing it up and just being at a disadvantage.

@Britpoint @Lozzy @jennyannem

Okay, I've done some more testing with this bug and here are the results. I heard some weird stuff after the Silverstone league race I just had in AOR that people were struggling to one stop starting on the hards, so I thought I would test it, which you can see in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ha2JDGHf3E

So for whatever reason, it seems that starting on the Hards actually gives you the worst tyre wear. Starting on softs is actually better for your tyres and mediums is the best. So to ascertain as to whether Silvestone is just a one off track where this bug doesn't even work the way it normally does, or whether the orange walled Hard compounds are free of the bug, I did the same test at a track that offers the same tyre compounds, at Spain, which is in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_jbMA0-IyA

Starting on the softs, the softs last 12 laps before I hit 70%. Starting on the mediums and starting on the hards, the soft tyres last about the same distance, the difference being negligible, at about 15 laps. The Hards definitely are affected by the bug around Spain, so it might just be a one off around Silverstone, but I have no explanation as to why that might be the case.

There seems to be very little correlation in hard numbers here and it's very likely that it varies from track to track, but what I can surmise is that the softer the tyre selection for a race weekend, the bigger the difference in wear is going to be when someone starts on a harder compound tyre vs the softest compound.

For example, if the tyre selection at a track is Ultrasoft, Supersoft and Soft, starting on the hardest compound may extend the life of a tyre by approximately 100% vs starting on the softest compound (this being the case at Austria). But if the tyre selection is Soft, Medium and Hard, starting on a harder compound may only extend the life of a tyre by about 25%. I can also presume that when the tyre selection is Supersoft, Soft and Medium, that it's somewhere in the middle. Of course, these numbers are not concrete and will vary from track to track e.g. Russia and Baku there is very little difference between starting on the softest vs starting on a harder compound simply because the tyre wear is so low at those tracks, but at China, despite the tyre selection being the same, there is a huge difference because it is a high tyre wear track.

Honestly, the more I dig deeper into testing this, the less I seem to understand about how this bug functions. There seems to be so many variables that affect it, namely being the tyre selection, the track you're driving on, the nature of the track (e.g. is it a high tyre wear track?). I'm just doing my best to provide information that you guys might be able to work from when finding a fix. I hope my efforts won't be all for nothing, and I have sort of lost hope that there will be a fix for this during this game's life cycle, but maybe this information can help so this bug is avoided in future titles (if it is you guys that are making the next game).

Thanks.

Seiyariu said:
Okay, I've done some more testing with this bug and here are the results. I heard some weird stuff after the Silverstone league race I just had in AOR that people were struggling to one stop starting on the hards, so I thought I would test it, which you can see in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ha2JDGHf3E

So for whatever reason, it seems that starting on the Hards actually gives you the worst tyre wear. Starting on softs is actually better for your tyres and mediums is the best. So to ascertain as to whether Silvestone is just a one off track where this bug doesn't even work the way it normally does, or whether the orange walled Hard compounds are free of the bug, I did the same test at a track that offers the same tyre compounds, at Spain, which is in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_jbMA0-IyA

Starting on the softs, the softs last 12 laps before I hit 70%. Starting on the mediums and starting on the hards, the soft tyres last about the same distance, the difference being negligible, at about 15 laps. The Hards definitely are affected by the bug around Spain, so it might just be a one off around Silverstone, but I have no explanation as to why that might be the case.

There seems to be very little correlation in hard numbers here and it's very likely that it varies from track to track, but what I can surmise is that the softer the tyre selection for a race weekend, the bigger the difference in wear is going to be when someone starts on a harder compound tyre vs the softest compound.

For example, if the tyre selection at a track is Ultrasoft, Supersoft and Soft, starting on the hardest compound may extend the life of a tyre by approximately 100% vs starting on the softest compound (this being the case at Austria). But if the tyre selection is Soft, Medium and Hard, starting on a harder compound may only extend the life of a tyre by about 25%. I can also presume that when the tyre selection is Supersoft, Soft and Medium, that it's somewhere in the middle. Of course, these numbers are not concrete and will vary from track to track e.g. Russia and Baku there is very little difference between starting on the softest vs starting on a harder compound simply because the tyre wear is so low at those tracks, but at China, despite the tyre selection being the same, there is a huge difference because it is a high tyre wear track.

Honestly, the more I dig deeper into testing this, the less I seem to understand about how this bug functions. There seems to be so many variables that affect it, namely being the tyre selection, the track you're driving on, the nature of the track (e.g. is it a high tyre wear track?). I'm just doing my best to provide information that you guys might be able to work from when finding a fix. I hope my efforts won't be all for nothing, and I have sort of lost hope that there will be a fix for this during this game's life cycle, but maybe this information can help so this bug is avoided in future titles (if it is you guys that are making the next game).

Thanks.
There isn't a "normal tyre wear" so it's not like the bugs occurs sometimes and sometimes not. The normal tyre wear I believe is from the practice where the softest tyre lasts as long as you would start on the softest tyre. The middle tyre lasts as long as you would start on the middle tyre and the hardest tyre lasts as long as you would start on the hardest tyre.

You can never get the normal tyre wear in the race because you can never get the combination of those tyre wears. The tyre wear gets influenced by the starting tyre and it's different for different compounds and different for different tracks. As you also saw on Silverstone it was the case that starting on the hardest tyre was worse than starting on the middle tyre but it isn't the same as starting on the softest tyre.

Also, I suggest when you do tests that you don't drive until you get 70% but drive 10 laps from point to point and deduct the tyre wear between the two. If you do this for 10 laps you'll have a margin of error of 0.1, if you do this for more laps (ex 20 laps then you get 0.05). Because with a wheel doing a couple of corners slightly different can make you go half a lap longer until that 70%, if not more. It's in general quite hard to be consistent on tyre wear with the wheel because you have so much input on that part.

Nagrom said:
@Lozzy : By enough ressources, you mean that you don't have ressources to characterize the bug precisely ? Would it help if we provide you more example of when the bug happens and when it doesn't ?

Btw, I already noticed the bug while testing in Spain, but I tried Japan yesterday and could reproduce. I did:
Soft => Soft
Hard => Soft
And I had the same level of tyre wear after 10 laps. It was in quick race mode, with mercedes, clear weather, no qualifications, 50% race.
Anyone has a clue on why this time I didn't have the bug ?

Interesting, basically the same thing happens around Silverstone. I haven't done Japan yet to verify but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think you understood it right even with my mistake, but to be make sure we're clear, there is a mistake in the post you quoted, I just corrected it: " but I tried Japan yesterday and couldn't reproduce."

Codemasters, if you're too incompetent to talk to your customers (as promised) please give the rights to another, actually competent, company like Kunos Simulazioni.

Also, if you think that people will continue to buy your games when you've consistently shown you're untrustworthy something is wrong. 

I don't think the bug occurs at 100% distance. I just did a pro career race around Bahrain for the achievement and my tyres lasted exactly twice as long as they would in 50% if you started on supersofts, and I started on the mediums for this 100% race. I don't have any footage because everything worked as it should have and nothing out of the ordinary occured. It could be pro career that doesn't initiate the bug, but it definitely happened for me in normal career when I drove 50% races, so I'm willing to say it's 100% that it doesn't occur in. If someone else wants to do a similar test that I have done previously but on 100% distance just to verify then go for it. I just can't be bothered as I will never play 100% again so it would be useless for me.

Well, I can say I'm sort of happy with this bug.
When I raced and started on the most softer compound, my tyres were completely destroyed after some laps. At China and Austria I couldn't finish the race with a one stop with 25% distance (expert, btw). In both races I had a flat tyre. In Austria only in the last corner which wasn't too badly. The problem is I can never race normal against AI because I have so much tyre wear each race, and it feels like the AI have such less tyre wear.

But with testing this bug, my pleasure for racing in F1 2016 is back. I can drive normal when I start on harder tyres. I don't have massive tye issues, and I can race normal with AI. I have driven a quick race at Austria (25%). I started at the hardest compound. I think I could easily drive the whole race with these compound, where I had a flat tyre with the hardest compound at my Career Race (and I started on the supersoft tyres that race).

There are a lot of tyre wear topics at this forum. Not only this year, but also last years. I play on the PS4-Console and the tyre wear is one of the reasons why I don't have much pleasure with this game. I don't know if the bug is that their is less tyre wear when you start on a harder tyre, or the bug is that you have too many wear when you start on the soft tyre. I think the latest, because I can't finish a race at China with one stop (25% distance) because of the tyre wear.

I think Codemasters should do something to give ''amateur'' races who doesn't have steering wheel and just racing on PS4-gamepads a pleasure to race. Maybe there should be an option to select a % of realistic tyre wear. Now, you  cannot select these.

Seiyariu said:
I don't think the bug occurs at 100% distance. I just did a pro career race around Bahrain for the achievement and my tyres lasted exactly twice as long as they would in 50% if you started on supersofts, and I started on the mediums for this 100% race. I don't have any footage because everything worked as it should have and nothing out of the ordinary occured. It could be pro career that doesn't initiate the bug, but it definitely happened for me in normal career when I drove 50% races, so I'm willing to say it's 100% that it doesn't occur in. If someone else wants to do a similar test that I have done previously but on 100% distance just to verify then go for it. I just can't be bothered as I will never play 100% again so it would be useless for me.
The bug is definitely there on 100% as well, but I can't comment about pro career...

Well.. Isn't this great?

I have been playing normally and just sometimes wondered why my tyre wear seems so random. Sometimes I can do a 1-stop and on the next day on the same track, I can barely do a 2-stop. After finding this topic, it all makes sense. And it makes me quite mad.

This topic has been opened on OCTOBER 2016. Not last week or last month but LAST YEAR: It's been almost three months (anniversary coming up on January 10th!) and what has Codemasters done?
"Yeah we take a look..."
*two months go by*
"Yeah we don't have any news"

Well you clearly are CODEMASTERS. I've enjoyed the game besides a few bugs but this... oh man, this makes me question whether I want to buy any other product made by Codemasters from now on. This is just on another level. Game comes out on late August and you stop caring before the game is two months old. Yeah, that's not just like ten more months before the next game comes out. 

It all seemed so good with all the beta tests and stuff like that. Now it's like before that but far more worse. 

I'm really looking forward for some response (@Lozzy, @jennyannem, @Britpoint ). But if the outcome on this case is that you didn't bother fixing a game-braking bug that was informed to you 1,5 months after release... It probably means that I won't be buying F1 2017 if it's made by Codemasters. 

This has been an issue since October?? What an absolute joke. 

Get this fixed ASAP, Codemasters. This will kill league racing. 

KaySlay1 said:
This has been an issue since October?? What an absolute joke. 

Get this fixed ASAP, Codemasters. This will kill league racing. 
Yep it's been an issue since patch #2 and nothing has been done. It's like they don't care. It's ruined league racing 

bax said:
It was our fault guys :#
Next time (F1 2017) we have to find every possible bug within 2 months from day one... and push Codemasters to patch the game before starting the development of F1 2018.
Money for Codies, fun for us :p
This was never an issue in the beta 

And nothing to leave a patch to fix. It's so simple I believe, fix it. If it were difficult for CM. Tell him he will not soon.