Sign in to follow this  

Loore why cant we

choose any track and car on TT mode? ive not got it yet as im on ps3 but ive read a few times now that you release a tt mode but stop us from choosing any car or track.. why? and i hope this is going to change when comes to ps3? you do realise tt mdoe should be any car any track? why is it codies seem to get things wrong all the time?

what and thats a bad thing? its a racing game for crying out loud. i dont see what the problem is. i was looking forward to playing the tt mode but now im not due to not being able to choose what car and track. its a joke!!! 

I'm gonna sound pretty dumb asking this, but what exactly is time trial mode? I would've guessed something like time attack but we've got that, and I read something about a time trial leaderboard?

@jerrymackturner‌ 

I highly doubt, that the tracks are limited to any cars in terms of licensing. Especially, as you can drive every car on every track in custom cup and online. This is just another silly attempt from CM, to do whatever they do, to limit the player for no reason.

And create leaderboards? It's not that they'd have to hire people that write down every time on blackboard. Sure, with ~25 disciplines and 80 track combinations that would be ~2000 lists, but who cares? They are loaded on the fly for the user and in the end it is nothing more than text.

A player name, a car ID, and 3 sector times. It's not that ghost cars are saved here, like in racenet-challenge. So for any server that should be a joke to handle. A simple text file with 20000 entries would make ~1,2mb, with 2000 lists thats roughly 2.5gb. Even if it's 50gb that shouldn't matter. A SQL-DB should handle a multiple of that amount. Traffic from users shouldn't matter either, as player-count stays the same. Updating 250 DBs 4000 times or 2000 DBs 500 times, the workload stays the same, only the whole db itself gets bigger.

888197 said:

I'm gonna sound pretty dumb asking this, but what exactly is time trial mode? I would've guessed something like time attack but we've got that, and I read something about a time trial leaderboard?

Time trial is just you with a running start trying to set the fastest lap, racing against your ghost.

All Im going to say is:  If    TT mode shows up on the Xbox, and I cannot pick any car and any track,  then CM will be getting lots of msg's they wont like.  

Or at the very least they could make leaderboards for each track and instead of every car, make the leaderboard so it will go with the categories the cars are in. Like have a separate board for Modified Muscle, Muscle & Classic Muscle. As well as Run What You Brung board. Like on the Indy or Autosport ovals. Just whatevet car or cars can be just that flat out fastest of the fast.

Photonik said:
@jerrymackturner‌ 

This is just another silly attempt from CM, to do whatever they do, to limit the player for no reason.

Yes, I’m sure that’s it. That would make perfect business sense.

I pushed a lot for TT and am grateful for what we have got. TT for me is to learn lines and braking points and there is more than enough in TT to do just that.

888197 said:

You must be new to racing games ?

Time Trial is a basic for all driving games. It is for testing all cars and all tracks, a bit like the practice ranges in Battlefield, finding and practising driving lines and braking points.

The leaderboards adds the element of not just competition but also letting you know what is possible and where you are on that list.

It helps to know the tracks well, and if you race on a track and find yourself slow in certain parts, go into TT and practice those sections.

In Dirt 2 I used to walk the track - something pros do in real life - by driving it very slowly, and only then did cambers show up to be much steeper than I realized when driving them in a race . . .you can do this in TT . .

@CaptainJack‌ 

Don't you contradict your own statement? You say it's to learn tracks and in the previous post you say 'there is more than enough in TT'. How is it?

Sure, if I know the track with one car, I know it with another, too. But that doesn't include, that I actually can drive fast with another car on this track.

Of course, when I practise, I do that for online. But how, if 90% of the tracks driven there aren't in TT, at least for that category? It doesn't help to practise street courses with slidy vehicles, when I want to know them with much stickier touring cars.

Yes, theoretically there is much to chose from, but it is a fixed choice that doesn't represent what I want to do. I bought a game that offers me 80 tracks/combinations and who knows how much cars. So naturally I expect to drive every car on every track, regardless of race, time trial or time attack. That's what I paid for and that's what EVERY racing game (that is more than total arcade) offers.

Unfortunately it's down to technical limits, in particular surrounding the leaderboards, and how many we could potentially have. Each format has different limits which makes it even more difficult but ultimately it came down to a decision of what we have now, or nothing at all.

@Loore‌ 

K, nothing to do then. Still, it there any possibility, that there'll be a real practise mode for every car on every track? I don't care if there's a leaderboard with it or not, but the only way currently is to use the max 20mins practise when doing a custom cup race.

...and with that said... previous settings are not being saved! That is pretty annoying, as I have to set up the custom cup from scratch every time instead of simply changing the track. Same goes for online.

It's something that we've discussed and would like to add but there's nothing else I can say right now. I'll reignite the topic once back in the office tomorrow.

I think there has to be a practise mode without any AI. And maybe with something that tracks your times for every car and track combination, even if there's no leaderboard. That'd be better than nothing.

Pretty sure you could race any car on any track in Grid's Time Trial and pretty sure there was a global leaderboard as I remember being top in some car/track combos simply because there were so many  combos. If it's a racenet issue then I'm sure people would be happy if the game just kept a record for the player that wasn't linked to racenet.

888197 said:

You must be new to racing games ?

Time Trial is a basic for all driving games. It is for testing all cars and all tracks, a bit like the practice ranges in Battlefield, finding and practising driving lines and braking points.

The leaderboards adds the element of not just competition but also letting you know what is possible and where you are on that list.

It helps to know the tracks well, and if you race on a track and find yourself slow in certain parts, go into TT and practice those sections.

In Dirt 2 I used to walk the track - something pros do in real life - by driving it very slowly, and only then did cambers show up to be much steeper than I realized when driving them in a race . . .you can do this in TT . .

Thanks for answering me :) I'm not new to racing games but all I've been playing for the last few years is Gran Turismo. I just got confused between TT and Time Attack thanks for clearing it up and @jerrymackturner

888197 said:

yeah as people have said on here Time trial is just your basic practice mode which allows you to do practice laps on track without any interference.

Pretty sure you could race any car on any track in Grid's Time Trial and pretty sure there was a global leaderboard as I remember being top in some car/track combos simply because there were so many  combos. If it's a racenet issue then I'm sure people would be happy if the game just kept a record for the player that wasn't linked to racenet.

You are right but maybe the problem now is the many platforms and how they are set up.

Personally, I like to have leaderboards, but if it was one or t'other I can live without leaderboards if it meant having every track in TT and any car on any track.

then id of chose nothing at all. having a game with limited tt mode is a joke.. why is it other games done it fine yet CM struggle? why is ti grid 1 had it but grid autosport cannot? this is the last CM game im buying. what a farce.

@CaptainJack‌ your multiple platform idea makes me wonder if there is different speeds and or lap times that are possible on say PC that are not possible on say PS or Xbox? 

For example it is fairly easy to get a 49 second lap on the Indy oval. And it is darn near impossible to hit a 50 second lap on Xbox. While on PS you can clip off a 47 fairly easy.

This is kind of the way it works on the ETX Nascar series of games. Even on those games the setups that work well are different on the different platforms. Heck they are even different from offline to online. The lap times are even different from online to offline.

So I wonder if this is why it is more problematic to make a cross-platform TT leaderboard? 

To be honest, I still didnt try the TT mode, so forgive me if what I am about to say is stupid.

If there is a technical limitation to the number of Leaderboards, why not do only Leaderboards for all tracks and respective combinations? There wouldnt be separation by category of car, all times would be stored in the same track leaderboard. What would be were filters for car class, which would enable to see the fastest in that respective particular. I would prefer something like this even more to see how cars would compare, from diferent classes, since I believe there would be a few surprises.

I hadn't read anywhere about this restriction, is there anywhere that the available tracks and cars are listed? I have been looking forward to the Time Trial addition since we first found out it had been removed so this is a disappointment. I'll stil enjoy what is there I am sure but just always assumed all tracks and cars would be part of it.