Sign in to follow this  

Announcing: F1 2014 and Beyond

Although I'm gutted that I can't play F1 2014 on my shiny new PS4, this is a great decision. It would be very hard to change the release pattern later and now we get the new F1 game way earlier which means that we can play it during the season. And because on PS4 and X1 there are no fees for patches, we will get updates like with other sports games. If the updates are free and Codemasters really put the effort in, sky's the limit. I think this could work. 

F1 2014 on the old machines... understandable. I think the license states that they must release an F1 game every year. So they just took the old game and "re-skinned" it. There are like 160 million old generation consoles around the world, some people will definitely buy it. For me, this will be the first Codemasters F1 game that I won't play. I only need to finish L.A. Noire and then I'm done with my PS3 (apart from the single player DLC for GTA V). 

well i won't be bothering with 2014 think i'll get project cars this year and then see what 2015 has to offer next year. its sad news the 2014 will be based on old tech!.

I just find the lack of actual information is a bit underwhelming

Refined handling? What has been refined, are the cars more responsive to inputs.
Driver evaluation system? How does this work? What criteria does the system look at to determine how well you ae doing?
Scenario mode has been expanded. How?
We've refined career mode options. such as what? 

But for now let Steve Hood tell you what I've already told you.

I'm looking forward to both games but it just seems like Codemasters have missed an opportunity to hype the game, I'm interested in the changes they've made to the career mode, and the handling, but currently these are just buzz words with no actual information behind them

Simply amazing!!!!!! I've been waiting for this a long time haha. Question though, is it me or the Sauber steering wheel looks more like the Lotus one? Can you guys tell? 

I'm not a fan of this gens trend for huge patches, ridiculous amount of giggidy bytes.

It's pathetic how Codemasters couldn't even mange to make a new gen F1 game this year. EA made Battlefield 4 on new gen and old gen, Call of Duty was on both. EA Sports made FIFA, NBA, and Madden on both gens as well. Those were 2013 GAMES. Codemasters should have made F1 2013 on the new gen as well in November like ALL the other non-Codemasters games, but NO. Now comes 2014, they act like we will get a new gen 2014 game but STILL NO. Instead we get a half assed, carbon copied F1 2013 with just new cars and tracks, nothing else. 2015 will finally arrive, we will once again have to pay $60, updates will probably be a total of $60 knowing this companies record. There will probably be no formation laps and no other life like features and will instead be the same carbon copied game at 60fps. Time to give up the licence  Codemasters, give it to a trustworthy company like Sony again who made EXCELENT F1 games.

ukfan758 said:

It's pathetic how Codemasters couldn't even mange to make a new gen F1 game this year. EA made Battlefield 4 on new gen and old gen, Call of Duty was on both. EA Sports made FIFA, NBA, and Madden on both gens as well. Those were 2013 GAMES. Codemasters should have made F1 2013 on the new gen as well in November like ALL the other non-Codemasters games, but NO. Now comes 2014, they act like we will get a new gen 2014 game but STILL NO. Instead we get a half assed, carbon copied 2013 with news cars and tracks, nothing else. 2015 will finally arrive, we will once again have to pay $60, updates will probably be a total of $60 knowing this companies record. There will probably be no formation laps and no other life like features and will instead be the same carbon copied game at 60fps. Time to give up the licence  Codemasters, give it to Sony again who made GOOD F1 games.

Studio Liverpool (i.e. the ones who made the F1 games) are now defunct, so giving it back to Sony would mean nothing but exclusivity on the PS4. And who the heck wants that?!?!?

Plus there would be no guarantee that the games would even be half decent, let alone good.

Very excited for F12015.  I just hope that the Safety-car can come out on first lap in 2014's game.  Please!!  It happens so often in real life, it's silly not to have it in the game.  If not technically possible on old gen then fair enough, but it's compulsory for 2015.

ukfan758 said:

It's pathetic how Codemasters couldn't even mange to make a new gen F1 game this year. EA made Battlefield 4 on new gen and old gen, Call of Duty was on both. EA Sports made FIFA, NBA, and Madden on both gens as well. Those were 2013 GAMES. Codemasters should have made F1 2013 on the new gen as well in November like ALL the other non-Codemasters games, but NO. Now comes 2014, they act like we will get a new gen 2014 game but STILL NO. Instead we get a half assed, carbon copied 2013 with news cars and tracks, nothing else. 2015 will finally arrive, we will once again have to pay $60, updates will probably be a total of $60 knowing this companies record. There will probably be no formation laps and no other life like features and will instead be the same carbon copied game at 60fps. Time to give up the licence  Codemasters, give it to Sony again who made GOOD F1 games.

Studio Liverpool (i.e. the ones who made the F1 games) are now defunct, so giving it back to Sony would mean nothing but exclusivity on the PS4. And who the heck wants that?!?!?

Plus there would be no guarantee that the games would even be half decent, let alone good.

Then how about another developer like SMS?

I'm not surprised after what we saw, that you aer waiting so long from this announcement.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure exactly how to feel about this at the moment. I guess I have to let it sink in and then decide what I'm going to do. I am a little gutted because I've invested $1600+ in my racing simulator including the Thrustmaster TX wheel and Ferrari F1 rim hoping to play F1 2014 on my Xbox One by October/November. 

Additionally, being as that wheel is not compatible with the Xbox 360, I don't fancy the idea of playing 2014 with a controller. I do have a PC, but it struggles a bit with 2013 and I can't even run maximum settings.

So with all that said, I have no choice to wait for F1 2015. This does sting a bit. Quite a bit in fact. While I do play other racing games, nothing is more enjoyable than the F1 titles. I live for Formula 1.

i think they could have released a next gen F1 2014 but decided by waiting they could move future development in line with start of season. A lot of people have been asking for that to happen and they acted on it. I think it is a good idea. I know it means waiting but I would rather that for 1 year than continue to get games 3\4 the way through season. I am a PC player and we have been lucky in that we get both games (not sure yet if will bother with f1 2014) but I guess that's advantage of playing with PC. Maybe its payback for being heldback by xbox 360 for the last 3 tiltes.

If they announce next F1 2015 with have Linux support I'll be pretty happy. Can't wait to be rid of windows once and for all. 

@Hatta Will F1 2014 have a physical version for NA this time? If yes, you will have my money.

Onikubi said:

Although I'm gutted that I can't play F1 2014 on my shiny new PS4, this is a great decision. It would be very hard to change the release pattern later and now we get the new F1 game way earlier which means that we can play it during the season.  

Way earlier? We all know what "earlier" means for CM. Maybe August or in best case July.

ukfan758 said:

It's pathetic how Codemasters couldn't even mange to make a new gen F1 game this year. EA made Battlefield 4 on new gen and old gen, Call of Duty was on both. EA Sports made FIFA, NBA, and Madden on both gens as well. Those were 2013 GAMES. 

EA is a *massive* company compared to Codemasters.

ukfan758 said:

I agree plus the fact that CM don't have the resources EA do either so transferring to next gen was always going to take them a little longer I think. At least we know know the process is underway and that 2015 will be the first next gen title

Tourgott said:
Onikubi said:

Although I'm gutted that I can't play F1 2014 on my shiny new PS4, this is a great decision. It would be very hard to change the release pattern later and now we get the new F1 game way earlier which means that we can play it during the season.  

Way earlier? We all know what "earlier" means for CM. Maybe August or in best case July.

We better get F1 2015 in April, especially since they are having updates to the game.sjsharp2010 said:

I agree plus the fact that CM don't have the resources EA do either so transferring to next gen was always going to take them a little longer I think. At least we know know the process is underway and that 2015 will be the first next gen title

Maybe they should try hiring more people? 

ukfan758 said:

Yeah maybe they should try growing money on a tree as well

So the announcement can be summarized by:

-2014 season tracks & cars

-PS3 & X360 on 10/17/14, next gen in 2015

-Very easy mode (that will be used by 1% of racers)

-Some new career features that are to be announced later

Did I miss anything?

ukfan758 said:

agreed they need money for that.

Just reading the @Formula1game's responses on twitter, providing some info.

Regarding the lack of Martini, ''We had to remove all alcohol advertising under our current PEGI license. Even the red stripes!''

No classic content in F1 2014 either, ''
F1 2014 won't include classic content. This year we've focused on other areas of the game, plus building our next-gen title.''

No Formation laps, ''No formation lap this year. Sorry!''

But the one thing that really interested me, was once again with ''F1 2015'', or can we call it that?

''Next-gen F1 doesn't have an official name yet. It's out on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.'' & ''The name has yet to be confirmed. Let's just call it 'next-gen F1' for now. ;)''

Surely that suggests that there must be more content besides just the 2015 cars and tracks, and surely it must be so substantial that the didn't just name it F1 2015, like with 2013?

I hope so. Looking forward.

what a joke codemasters cant even manage to bring out a next gen version.  how come other companies can mange to do so.  time to give up the licence as you clearly dont have the resources to make the game.  why would i buy a last gen version with the same old tired graphics and lack of ideas

MarkDavis94 said:

ukfan758 said:

No Formation laps, ''No formation lap this year. Sorry!''

How hard is it to add formation laps, seriously? Why is it that Codemasters now hates realism like formation laps, podium celebrations, interviews, all 3 practice sessions, etc and instead try to make this game as arcade as possible? Don't tell me that it's not possible on the old generation of consoles, on F1 Championship Edition 2006, they had formation laps and podium celebrations. F1 2010 even had interviews and 3 practice sessions. Now they are just too lazy to implement these things in the game. They better include these things in updates to F1 2014  and it better be in the game in F1 2015.