Jump to content Jump to content

Announcing: F1 2014 and Beyond

Today’s the day we can finally talk F1!

First things first, we’re working on two new Formula 1 titles – one on old gen, the other on new gen.

Coming October 17th is F1 2014 on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Drawing upon all our experience in developing Formula 1 titles down the years, F1 2014 recreates this year’s incredible season featuring all the seismic changes to the sport, including new turbocharged cars, new circuits plus all the driver moves.

The game also includes refined handling on a pad and a new driver evaluation system that tunes game settings to your skill level to increase accessibility – we want all of our players to race competitively, more quickly. Of course, all the veterans of the series will be able to experience the true challenge of racing this year’s stunning generation of cars, featuring more explosive power delivery but less downforce, by customising your options and turning off all the assists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyA1TbsslsE

Scenario mode has been expanded, we’ve refined career mode options and there’s more info to come, but for now we’ll let Stephen Hood, our creative director on F1, introduce you to some of the headline changes in the sport and the game..

There’s been a dramatic shift in the sport; the largest shake up in the rules and regulations for a very long time and the new power units provide a very different kind of challenge, for both driver and team. By delivering all of these changes, F1 2014 will make for an exciting and refreshingly different experience. Additionally, with the new driver evaluation system analysing each player’s skill level and suggesting appropriate game settings, plus re-graded difficulty levels including a brand new Very Easy setting, we aim to deliver a thoroughly rewarding F1 experience for players of all abilities, from the novice to the seasoned pro.”

Now onto new-gen. 2015 will see us release our first title on new-generation platforms. The game will launch earlier in the Formula One season and then go onto receive live digital updates. These updates will deliver 2015 content into the game as the season unfolds, ensuring you’ll be competing against the same drivers and teams you watch week in and week out!

We’re incredibly excited about new-gen F1 and we know you are too. We’re not yet ready to reveal everything about it yet, but we’ll have a lot more info to share once F1 2014 launches this October.<

As long as the 2015 digital updates don't = paid DLC, that sounds good. Imagine re-creating key battles from the race you watched last weekend in Scenerio mode!

However, F1 2014 is looking a bit long-in-the-tooth graphically now; some of those ground sponsor textures look low-res, and the lighting on car body reflections/damage model still look a little old fashioned/not quite real.

Still, let's see...

No mention of any Classic content yet, for either F1 2014 or 2015 though...

Personally in two minds about this.

The impatient part of me is screaming "I WANT NEXT GEN AND I WANT IT NOW"
But the other part isn't too fussed, because they'll have spent well over a year developing and it could be very interesting.

Also as long as F1 2014 on the current gen has made some significant imrpovements over 2013 then I'm quite happy to play another F1 game on current gen, as I still play 2013 a lot

Edit: Why does the Blog post say the release is the 17th of October, but the video says 21st of October?

All sounds good to me, but one question: You have no mention of PC in the 'Next Gen' platforms, but of course you know the PC has been next gen for years. Will next years F1 title also be for PC?

This is what I really want to know as well.  If F1 2015 is not on PC and we get stuck with old gen 2014 until at least F1 2016 then I will be investing in Assetto Corsa instead.

Seems to me they had every intention on getting F1 2014 on next-gen, failed in getting it ready in time and the current-gen B-option now became the A-option with next-gen pushed back to 2015.

I find it sad that a developer as big as Codemasters has one of the biggest sporting licences in the world and seems to deal with it like a rookie developer.

Massive disappointment to be honest.  An early release in Codemasters language will probably still be July and by then, the PS4 will be two years old. Incredible how you can miss the next-gen train like this. And come on, a release date on 21 october, almost a month later than usual for a game that is basically the same as last years. How pathetic!

I'm honestly looking forward to this. Yes sure maybe F1 2014 won't be that spectacular, but with F1 2015 being developed for what seems to be quite a while now, as they said last year they were cooking up a storm on next gen, AND being released early in the season, it seems we will see something fantastic next year. 

I noticed the Williams does not have the Martini logo on it. Why @Hatta?

I wonder if they are even going to call it Williams Martini Racing or just Williams... 

They haven't even announced and new additions that the community wants, like formation laps, celebrations, real practice sessions, etc ... 

F1 2014 = F1 2013 + 2014 cars/sounds + tyre wear scripted to be less + easier difficulty
Might as well just mod 2013 and wait til 2015

Well I sure as hell will not be buying this. I traded my 360 for an X1 in anticipation of being able to play F1 2014 on it. And did Codemasters themselves not say that Grid Autosport was their last game on the 360 and PS3?

Thanks to this, I'll be quitting the league I currently race in and waiting for 2015. Which potentially means 6/7/8/9 months of no league racing whilst at the moment I race at least once a week. Right now I have to borrow a 360 from a family member once a week just to make sure I can race F1 2013. I refuse to keep having to do that into F1 2015. 

I think I'm finally done with Codemasters. Years of being a fan and defending them... This is just extremely disappointing.

georgejad said:

I'm honestly looking forward to this. Yes sure maybe F1 2014 won't be that spectacular, but with F1 2015 being developed for what seems to be quite a while now, as they said last year they were cooking up a storm on next gen, AND being released early in the season, it seems we will see something fantastic next year. 

Me too. People were complaining about wanting it released earlier in the season. Well now they've got that and they're still complaining. This was the way to go that imo. 

Well I sure as hell will not be buying this. I traded my 360 for an X1 in anticipation of being able to play F1 2014 on it. And did Codemasters themselves not say that Grid Autosport was their last game on the 360 and PS3?

Thanks to this, I'll be quitting the league I currently race in and waiting for 2015. Which potentially means 6/7/8/9 months of no league racing whilst at the moment I race at least once a week. Right now I have to borrow a 360 from a family member once a week just to make sure I can race F1 2013. I refuse to keep having to do that into F1 2015. 

I think I'm finally done with Codemasters. Years of being a fan and defending them... This is just extremely disappointing.

Codemasters themselves didn't say that. It was the final Grid game on last gen.

don't know how I feel about this?  Kinda feels better in a way since will have project cars to play till f1 2015 (next gen) but I just hope it comes out may time no later than Silverstone grand prix I'd say?  But what I am wondering how are they working on next year's cars? If no one knows what they look like? Are they doing what they did with 2010? Using this year's cars then updating them once we've seen them? Just hope they know what they are doing and as well for information on the 2015 on when would we hear about that?  Like Like a release window? Just hoping it doesn't come out no later then July! Just wanna hear information about it! 

georgejad said:

Codemasters themselves didn't say that. It was the final Grid game on last gen.

I'll think you find they did. It was stated in a blog or interview back when it was announced.

Grid Autosport was excusable because that was probably being developed before the new consoles were out. This isn't, and whoever made this decision obviously wasn't right in the head.

iWalkerz said:

But what I am wondering how are they working on next year's cars? If no one knows what they look like? Are they doing what they did with 2010? Using this year's cars then updating them once we've seen them? Just hope they know what they are doing and as well for information on the 2015 on when would we hear about that?  

They've said before that they don't need to wait until the cars are revealed to work on other aspects of the game.

I think they will work on improving handling/tracks and add features before the reveal of the cars and then when they are in preseason testing they will work on the new shapes and liveries. They would need to get an idea of the performance of the cars too, so I don't see this being released before the first European race (so, May ?).

Plus, I think its fairly obvious that all the tracks won't be released at once. The regular updates will add tracks as the arrive throughout the year .