Jump to content Jump to content

The AI in Q3

danielwilson

I have a problem as well. In my career, Williams always use the second fastest tyre of the weekend ( example: supersofts at Monaco and the Medium tyres at Silverstone). Nothing wrong, right? Wrong... Williams are now one of the slowest cars in my career. It doesn't make any sense to see them using the "hardest" tyres to do a different strategy on the race if they don't even pass to Q3!! Have a look at this picture:

I have a problem as well. In my career, Williams always use the second fastest tyre of the weekend ( example: supersofts at Monaco and the Medium tyres at Silverstone). Nothing wrong, right? Wrong... Williams are now one of the slowest cars in my career. It doesn't make any sense to see them using the "hardest" tyres to do a different strategy on the race if they don't even pass to Q3!! Have a look at this picture:

I have it too. In my case it's always Mercedes. They have like 5th fastest car, but still try this strategy and often end up eliminated in Q1. Just stupid. Any team should try to avoid being eliminated in the first place. If they're sitting on ~P12 or lower and there's ~5 minutes left in the session, they should take new quicker tires and go for a quicker lap. That's what they would do in real life. In the game they drive out on the used set of harder compound and try again...
kubakw said
I have it too. In my case it's always Mercedes. They have like 5th fastest car, but still try this strategy and often end up eliminated in Q1. Just stupid. Any team should try to avoid being eliminated in the first place. If they're sitting on ~P12 or lower and there's ~5 minutes left in the session, they should take new quicker tires and go for a quicker lap. That's what they would do in real life. In the game they drive out on the used set of harder compound and try again...
Yeah, i forgot to mention that, so annoying!! Thanks for replying
  • Codemasters Staff
Moved to Technical Assistance.

Sorry I thought I'd replied to this thread, maybe it was a similar one. We'll take a look in to this, does it really only happen in Q3 though?

Edit: See also http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/46712/ai-coming-out-the-pits-at-the-end-of-qualifying

• Codemasters Staff
I'll answer my own question, it happens in Short Qualifying and I've seen it in Q1 too though the driver in question in the latter missed out on getting a flying lap by less than a second. We'll have a look in to why the AI can't do their maths and get out of the pit lane with enough time to start a lap.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Codemasters Staff
This thread is about the AI sometimes leaving the garage when there is not enough time to get around the track and start a flying lap before the session ends. We've looked in to that bug and it's on our database.

The issue with some teams using the harder compound in Q2 is a different bug. Again we've looked in to that and reproduced it and there is a bug logged. I've seen this mentioned in a few threads but I don't think it has it's own specific one. I guess we can use this thread to cover both issues.

I have no ETA for a fix for either issue currently.
@lozzy ok, thanks for the reply.
I thought it was a calculation problem for vehicles come out later from the pit lane, given that in this link http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/46712/ai-coming-out-the-pits-at-the-end-of-qualifying, you wrote me, that you had given an amount of time to leave the pit lane plus a little bit more to allow for traffic.  ;)

Archived