Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Summary of assists in multiplayer

In multiplayer I am constantly having people join a game I'm hosting, only for them to discover there are no assists allowed, as they spin off the track.  They then all leave, leaving me on my own :(  This is a huge waste of time for all concerned.  Please Codemasters, put a summary of assists allowed/not allowed on the lobby page.  Thank you.  Fantastic game by the way :)

Hi JupiterJoe, the problem here is where to display that information. There is already a lot shown at the bottom of the screen and adding all of the assist restrictions (Braking Assist, ABS, TC, DRL, Pit Assist) is not an insignificant amount of extra stuff to show. It's something I'll mention to design but in all honest it feels to me like you would save yourself this trouble by just allowing assists for public sessions. I can't see that there are going to be that many people online who want to play with random people with assists off. I would see those kinds of settings being used in friends only or invite only lobbies where league type racers get together to play casually.

Lozzy said:
Hi JupiterJoe, the problem here is where to display that information. There is already a lot shown at the bottom of the screen and adding all of the assist restrictions (Braking Assist, ABS, TC, DRL, Pit Assist) is not an insignificant amount of extra stuff to show. It's something I'll mention to design but in all honest it feels to me like you would save yourself this trouble by just allowing assists for public sessions. I can't see that there are going to be that many people online who want to play with random people with assists off. I would see those kinds of settings being used in friends only or invite only lobbies where league type racers get together to play casually.
Unassisted guys prefer to run against other unassisted guys, because your game blows hard with both on track at the same time - as highlighted in many threads mentioning the Auto Spin / Auto Penalty when someone with TCS on hits someone with TCS off. They can just plough on through the carnage.

As to the suggestion, Don't add all the assist options. Assists: Yes/No/Custom. Boom, sorted.

Now people can see where assists are allowed, where they aren't, and where they would need to jump in the lobby to see what the custom settings are. But at least it was their decision at that point.

And you are completely wrong about lobbies with no assists. There used to be plenty and they were always they best lobbies on the lobby browser list on Xbox. But you removed the lobby browser anyways, then didn't add it back after being told last year that the community would appreciate having parity with PC/PS4 once more.  

I'm amazed at how often someone will come here with a great suggestion, only to have codemasters look for reasons NOT to have to do anything.

Guys i have the same problem and it really annoys that so many people wanna play with assists............ what i can't understand is why codemasters make assists so rewarding?...... But then these guys using the assists complain theres no sparks The mercs front wing is not realistic enough we want a realistic game ffs guys your using assists if you want the game realistic turn the them off concentrate on improving your driving all the time trail leaderboards are dominated by assist users who want a realistic game but can't or refuse to drive in a realistic way

The big problem is, the most players drive with assists. CM make a capital mistake, arcade (with assist's) have the same speed than no assist's but no is difficult. 
F1 2013 was the best F1 about assist's.  With assist's you was 1 or more seconds slower and that was ok because when you take the dificult, no arcade way, you have a advantage.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/232426/#Comment_232426
Lozzy said:
...It's something I'll mention to design but in all honest it feels to me like you would save yourself this trouble by just allowing assists for public sessions...

So... "Instead of us creators doing something simple to make the game better for players, players should do something to make the game worse for themselves!" ...trololol!

Here and now JupiterJoe has a problem, he hosts lobbies with assists banned, people join, they realise when they get to track assists are off, they leave and he's left playing by himself. He has two choices, repeat this in the hope that all of a sudden a group of no assists players will join his lobby and stay to play or do something different.

The suggestion that
FRACTURED made would work great for players who have all the assists off, but you're one of those people who fell in to the Custom bracket, and that's presumably going to be a lot of people, they would be a bit miffed at having to keep going in to sessions to find out what the settings were until they found one that matched what they wanted.

Being able to find the session you want more easily is something we need to improve, from personal experience it's good to see lots of players enjoying F1 2016 online but having to wade through a list of 20 sessions when really only a couple are of interest is not good user experience.

Lets save the assists vs no assists balancing debate for another thread please, that's not what this topic is about.

@Lozzy

I understand that most online sessions are open to assists.  So just having some indication in the summary that the host has restricted some assists would be enough to make people either leave the lobby or at least check what is restricted in the relevant menu.  As it is, a good many people are wasting a lot of time loading sessions they don't want to be a part of.  There a huge chunk of space at the bottom of the lobby screen, below the summary, that's not being used.  So saying there's no room to add one more line of text is a bit ridiculous.

I 100% agree this game is fabulous without assists but it is impossible to play like that on multiplayer

- an exemple today I join a lobby with 13 players and some minutes later I was designated "mastter" of the lobby then I took off all assists....for starting qualif we were 5 and I was alone at the end...
- also I see some plyers who have the best lap times on tim trial board but playing in lobbies with assists as creating a lobby without means never play..some guys join but seeing there is no assist goaway...

PLEASE CREATE THE POSSIBILITY TO HAVE PLAYERS WITHOUT ASSISTS CHOSING TO PLAY TOGETHER...

...Just making sure this has your attention.
Got to love your optimism :smile:

@Lozzy will be back in six weeks or so to tell you it won't be in this year's game and you'll just need to buy next year's to see if they've listened.

The assists/no assists is the one reason I don't play multiplayer. It's utterly pointless racing people who use, specifically, traction control when you're using no assists. If the fact the setting information would include a "custom" option which @Lozzy feels is too confusing why not make it simply "Traction control allowed: yes/no", since the rest of them have more minimal impacts on multiplayer?

Lozzy said:
...but having to wade through a list of 20 sessions when really only a couple are of interest is not good user experience.
And doing nothing to change it that's exactly what you force anyone who wants to race without assists to do, no?