Sign in to follow this  

vBulletin nostalgia thread

(Just a random printscreen from the archive website)

So people, here it is: The official vBulletin nostalgia thread. #BringBackvBulletin

Come on everyone, share your memories/photos/whatever! 

Only thing I remember from when I joined was I was very depressed as I'd not long received my diagnosis

Yea way to bring the mood down Hughesy :joy: Good days though, always loads to read, now though if you look at the Stuff or game thread it's mostly me talking to myself. Just compare the view numbers and you see how rubbish it is now.

Ahhhhh these were the days!

Alright, I'm gonna share a story. Within the first 6 months or so when I joined, I received an infraction from SynGamer, back in the days when he was a moderator. The reason was because I celebrated a post count, I think it was 700 posts, so it wasn't even that big.

I think the reason he gave me an infraction was because I stupidly said something along the lines of...
'I know I said I wouldn't do this again, but 700 POSTS!!!!'
This was in big text though, so Syn gave me an infraction, totally deserved because it was stupid, but I can't tell you how ashamed and disgusted I felt, to have received an infraction on the official Codemasters forums, the people who make my favourite game ever (at the time). I couldn't believe it.

I sent a reply to Syn which was basically a huge apology. I couldn't say how much I regretted doing what I did, and I begged him to remove it. Partly because I couldn't bear logging in every day and seeing that infraction count next to my username. I knew that all the moderators and admins would see it, and they'd view me as someone who was a rule breaker, an internet low-life.

Syn told me he might remove it in the future if I don't do anything like it again, it never happened, but looking back he probably said that to shut me up with my apologising.

From that day onwards, I have never received an infraction or warning or anything. (Well tell a lie, I definitely remember being warned by Loore back when he was here, probably because of some lame bickering that used to occur between a large group of us, but I never got anything official).

I worried about it way too much.

MBKF1 said:
Ahhhhh these were the days!

Alright, I'm gonna share a story. Within the first 6 months or so when I joined, I received an infraction from SynGamer, back in the days when he was a moderator. The reason was because I celebrated a post count, I think it was 700 posts, so it wasn't even that big.

I think the reason he gave me an infraction was because I stupidly said something along the lines of...
'I know I said I wouldn't do this again, but 700 POSTS!!!!'
This was in big text though, so Syn gave me an infraction, totally deserved because it was stupid, but I can't tell you how ashamed and disgusted I felt, to have received an infraction on the official Codemasters forums, the people who make my favourite game ever (at the time). I couldn't believe it.

I sent a reply to Syn which was basically a huge apology. I couldn't say how much I regretted doing what I did, and I begged him to remove it. Partly because I couldn't bear logging in every day and seeing that infraction count next to my username. I knew that all the moderators and admins would see it, and they'd view me as someone who was a rule breaker, an internet low-life.

Syn told me he might remove it in the future if I don't do anything like it again, it never happened, but looking back he probably said that to shut me up with my apologising.

From that day onwards, I have never received an infraction or warning or anything. (Well tell a lie, I definitely remember being warned by Loore back when he was here, probably because of some lame bickering that used to occur between a large group of us, but I never got anything official).

I worried about it way too much.
I think I was 1 infraction away from a full ban on the vbulls ;)

Loore was a cock. Really didn't like that dude.

It was a laugh back then. Double accounts, people 'dieing' and decent members. You don't get that kind of entertainment here anymore. 

I think I was 1 infraction away from a full ban on the vbulls ;)
Haha, well at least you have a squeaky clean record here (as far as I can tell) :p 

I liked Loore, he was always good to me, and he always laid down the law, sometimes perhaps it came across as being quite hard, but he was probably doing the right thing.

I do miss Lee though, he seems to be very happy at his new job at EA though, so I'm happy for him. I keep meaning to send him a message to see how it's all going. This is one of the many reasons as to why I liked him so much...

Do you guys remember a couple of years back they ran that Easter egg competition, they wanted people to design an egg and post it on the forum? They promised a load of 'cool swag' as the prize. Well as it turns out, I was the only person that actually entered.

Therefore, Lee promised me a load of 'extra cool swag' to go on top of the already 'cool swag'. He asked me if there's any games I didn't already have that I'd like, so I mentioned a couple, and expected to get those.

Anyway, for a number of reasons I didn't end up receiving the parcel for about 2 months, but when I got it, he'd sent me basically every Codemasters game from recent years (about 20 in total), plus a tonne of stickers, VIP codes for some games, a hat, a t-shirt, a mousemat. I couldn't believe it!

Then as an apology for me not receiving my parcel earlier on (which wasn't really his fault may I add, it was mine for not being at home when the courier came along), he just straight out of the blue sent me a free copy of Grid Autosport, as well as one of those limited edition DiRT Rally orange notebooks.

Looking back, himself and Hatta (remember him?) sent me so much free stuff over the years, so I am really grateful for all that. Due to a combination of things, really, this is what I can remember off the top of my head:
- Easter egg competition
- Not receiving that very parcel
- Twitter competition, randomly selected winner
- Facebook competition (had to send in a picture of your racing setup, and mine was featured in the top 10)
- Facebook competition 2 (had to send in fan artwork of DiRT games, and I made the final 4 I think)
- Various stuff for being part of the Codies League Championship, as I used to run the racing league
- Becoming a moderator.

I really loved the years 2013-2014, that's when all this stuff really happened, so thank you Lee and Luke, if you ever happen to stumble across this. I will get in touch soon I promise x

Sorry for waffling on like that, just realised how massive the post is, but all the memories came flooding back!

Soo.. here's my story.
I remember back in Summer of 2011, I found out the forum when I was looking for info regarding the F1 2011 game.
After a few months, I decided to join the forum in December 2011.

Actually, CM forum was the first ever forum I joined! I only knew about the F1 game discussion, which is where I started writing about my career. (that didn't end well.. :p ) At some point, Rohan told me about the off-topic discussion and that's when I met all of you guys!   

So, a few things that come back to mind from the vBulletin era:
  1. the whole fiona-ferrari thing.
  2. Pretty much everyone getting a perfect score in Malaysia quali for the predictor game which led to a rule change.
  3. Alex F1 inviting me to my first ever online league race for F1 2011.
  4. A bunch of us trying to troll the Planet F1 forum, I remember I was really into it back then :D
  5. Everyone being angry when we found out we'll switch to a different forum. Especially the last day was a bit weird...
  6. I know it's not from vBulletin years but having the idea for VRL! @MBKF1 "you should make a thread for it" , remember? :p 

Hughesy said:
That Fiona Ferrari thing was awesome.   
The best thing was when someone (  @Jiggy perhaps? I'm not sure..) did the whole detective work to find out everything was a lie!

I think it was Killer who first mentioned abohg it being a potential hoax, and then Matt77258 basically confirmed it because he maanged to find the exact same picture of the tattoo this guy claimed to have gotten.

That was weird.

And yes Mike, I remember that predictor game qualifying! I think it was Hamilton, Button, Schumacher, and yeah, basically everyone got 60 points!  :D

Is PlanetF1 still going? I never got involved in the trolling, but that was pretty funny ahah. Why did it happen again?

MBKF1 said:

Is PlanetF1 still going? I never got involved in the trolling, but that was pretty funny ahah. Why did it happen again?
Hmm, to be honest I don't really remember... Maybe the others who took part in it can help? @Mexicola ? I think @Matthew77258 was involved as well? I remember making that thread about Karthikeyan being the best driver in F1, that OP photo was hilarious! :D

To be honest I only remembered it when you guys brought it up, the Karthikeyan thread was mad craic though.

I'm not gonna quote Matt's post as it's too long, but I remember that I won a competition on the Lithium forums for a tour of the Force India factory. In the end I was disqualified as I wasn't 18, but Hatta sent me a prize packet anyway that had:
  • F1 Race Stars
  • F1 2012 t-shirt (which still fits!)
  • F1 2012 game sleeve (signed by Nico Hulkenberg)
  • Signed photo of Kamui Kobayashi
A nice gesture I thought :)

Anyone remember the heal/hurt game?

Hughesy said:
Only thing I remember from when I joined was I was very depressed as I'd not long received my diagnosis

Yea way to bring the mood down Hughesy :joy: Good days though, always loads to read, now though if you look at the Stuff or game thread it's mostly me talking to myself. Just compare the view numbers and you see how rubbish it is now.

wouldn't say that exactly I still post in there from tim to time just been playing my older games mostly lately so haven't had much to talk about in there but I did recently purchase Quantum Break and Titanfall 2 to have a go at haven't hada chance yet because I'm trying to finish one of my older games first but I'm looking forward to it.

My memory is quite shit. I seriously would need to find a way to read all that back and maybe then I could come up with something. Don't even know what this fiona-ferrari stuff is all about tbh.

Oh yeah the Heal / Hurt game was great, loved playing that!

The Fiona / Ferrari thing was basically like this. A member called Ferrari claimed that his girlfriend, called Fiona, was very ill and later on he said to us that she had died. Loads of us members started putting things in our signatures saying RIP, as a sign of respect, and then a couple of weeks later, a new thread appeared by this same Ferrari member, saying 'RIP Ferrari', and it was apparently this guy's sister who logged into his account to tell us all that he had died too. I can't remember what his reasoning was, but it was just very odd.

Again, we were all in shock so again started putting little things in our signatures, but then Killer37 said that he had a lot of doubts over this whole story. To be honest, we did all find it odd that someone would log into his account and tell us all, especially so soon after his apparent death. I mean, god forbid I passed, but I can't imagine my sister or any of my family's first thoughts would be to let you all know on here.

Anyway, after a bit more thought and research + some fantastic detective work by Matt77258 (he managed to find the exact same image of the tattoo this guy claimed to have got himself), we found out the whole thing was a hoax, and we never saw this Ferrari guy again on the forum.

However, I'm 99% sure I can remember someone having thoughts that he came back but under a new guise, called Mac I think? He denied it of course, but I'm sure someone here was convinced it was the same guy.

He was odd as well, because he was a regular OT member around 2012, and then all of a sudden he just vanished, and he never posted again. Same on his Twitter too, he was very active on there, and then he just stopped Tweeting.

It was pretty odd, I remember feeling pretty creeped out at the time.

Oh man, that brings me back. The forums back then were (excuse the American phrase) like the wild west. Peoples feelings were being hurt left and right for whatever childish reasons and don't even get me started on the Rage Thread (and it's many hiatuses).

I can't remember if Helios (Ian) was still here or not, that was so long ago. Great memories of all the early promotional F1 material. Fun times, always on the edge of warnings and infractions (which many of you likely remember).

It's amazing and awesome how many of you are still around to hold down the fort  :)

Alright, while I'm at it, gonna post some more mad memories from the old forums.

- Remember a user called NellyFurtado who used to make those ridiculous relationship threads? He made one called 'Anne Neal and Mark Webber', it was amazing.
- ServantOfJesus, this was waaay back in 2011, he was just a massive troll. I think he got banned after about 30 minutes on the forum, but he was just going through every thread and wrecking it.
- Someone posted a picture of Victoria Justice with an awfully painted on beard, absolutely hilarious, wish I could find it again!
- I'm pretty sure I remember when @fIsince08 joined, he went and revived loads and loads of dead threads? I may be wrong, but I remember someone doing it, and it was incredibly infuriating ahah.
- I know it comes up every year, but the classic WinestAuto Singapore GP thread. That remains one of the funniest threads I've ever read in my life.
- Luek and Wooly's bathtime.
- Daniel Ricciardo Fan Club (which I founded and then Herby(?) and Bumfez / Prawn made it into a Daniel Ricciardo Hate Club).
- Just general old members who aren't here any more, ones that spring to mind are robracer (he went ballistic over the rule change in the predictor game after the Malaysia GP qualifying saga), The Big A, iii-viii (he was Canadian I think), HAMerED, AMF7, FernandoAlonso, Kptk, and so many more.
- The last day on the vBulletin forums. It was a genuinely sad day, and I remember the excitement around everyone desperately trying to get the last post on the Stuff thread, before it went offline.
- And how can we forget Rohan, and his various guises and weird ways. One of my highlights every year was his awards ceremony, he put so much detail into those posts it was insane, love the guy. And I think I'm still friends with him on Facebook, amazingly.
- Mash potato mountains with Matt77258, Prawn and onetwothree.
- A more recent memory, but still a good'un, the PC master race which I defaced and made into the PS4 master race, and then Prawn in response posted images of potato factories and said that's what Sony's studios look like.

So many good memories.

We started discussing mashed potatoes in the stuff thread years ago, and I think Matt and Prawn said they loved them too, and then I mentioned about making mashed potato mountains, so from that we came up with some outrageous story where I went and stayed at their theoretical mansion, and we carved out mashed potato mountain hedges and we'd just eat mashed potato all day.

I'm sure you were involved in this story somewhere. Maybe you were the one who didn't like them so you came and destroyed all our mashed potato, I don't know.