Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Confused with CodeMasters thinking on F1 2014/15?

I have been reading the forums and musing about this since the announcement and I have to say that CM's reasoning behind the new F1 releases is confusing seeing that there is solid competition this year. Firstly, I own all the F1/Grid/Dirt titles so I am a good customer of CM but this fall I'm going to skip the F1 2014 on PS3. I purchased a PS4 pretty much just for F1 but since they are not releasing it on next gen then I am going to go for Project CARS! I'm sure between CARS and trying to Platinum GAS (100 online wins and 250 online XP is all I need) that will take up a good chunk of my spare time so why would I want another PS3 game? If I read (months after) that F1 2014 on the PS3 is outstanding then I might pick it up used but to release it only on old hardware seems really odd to me... This is the first time that I haven't eagerly awaited an F1 release...  

i can see where you are coming from @likewise . i believe the only way they could release a game early in the season was doing it this way. sure its annoying me that i cant play f1 on my new console but the fact that we get the next game earlier and next gen exclusive more than makes up for it. plus the new consoles deserve a new engine to run the game and thats what they are doing, new engine specifically designed to run f1 on next gen.

I guess there are still a lot of people that own and use old gen machines but I like to play a game right through and that takes time. If they released it on PS4 then I most likely would have bought it instead of CARS but I really want to see my PS4 come to life with a decent racing game. F1 would have been my first choice but, like I said no PS4, no buy for me... and for some reason I'm kinda ok with that.

I agree. In my opinion, this is the best way to do it and people who can get both will get two games so sales will improve for CM

We'd have liked to release F1 on next-gen this year, however we aren't going to simply port the game over. We're starting again, and building an entirely new game - all of that takes time.

I know nothing about making video games but as a company I would think that you would want to (get on it!) With new hardware people are desperate for good games (any game for that matter, I bought Need for Speed just to give the PS4 a go!) so you would have had your brand new next gen games front and center and maybe even help sell some units.  I guess that the PS3 version of 2014 might be time well spent to get used to the new tracks and the new car feel (that is if it's the same in 2015?). Don't know if that in itself is reason enough to pick it up though... oh well... it's just a game but you are lucky that you have a passionate audience. tight lines and following seas...

would you rather the game was rushed out this year for next gen and on the same release cycle? i think it addresses a lot of the main points brought up on these very forums. i think the only game that will make the new consoles sell more is gta v, when that goes next gen the sales will go through the roof, battlefield and cod are the next 2 biggest franchises and they are already next gen so its not like sony and microsoft would benifit by a great amount if f1 was on sale for those consoles, its a niche market, f1 that is. doesn't sell anywhere near the likes of bf4,cod ghosts or even need for speed or gran turismo.

This is a very good move from Codies.. we all wanted an earlier release and this was the most sensible way to do it.

Look at it this way, we'll get a release earlier in the year for each next gen edition and they'll have a much more solid base to work from by investing the extra development time.

Great move Codies I think you picked the right compromise for the long run

Well I wouldn't have minded at all to have a PS4 port of the F1 2014 game. There is a completely new game coming in 2015, but in the meantime, it would be nice to be play an F1 game on my only console (PS4). Need For Speed Rivals or MotoGP 14 are also more or less straight ports from a current-gen game but at least they allow me to play something. Now I have to wait at least 6 months more. 

Well I wouldn't have minded at all to have a PS4 port of the F1 2014 game. There is a completely new game coming in 2015, but in the meantime, it would be nice to be play an F1 game on my only console (PS4). Need For Speed Rivals or MotoGP 14 are also more or less straight ports from a current-gen game but at least they allow me to play something. Now I have to wait at least 6 months more. 

Appreciate that. However we decided that to make the biggest step forward we had to start from scratch on an all new engine tailored to the new consoles. Maybe we could have done both, but that would have resulted in us splitting our limited resource and delaying our next-gen engine.

Hatta said:

Appreciate that. However we decided that to make the biggest step forward we had to start from scratch on an all new engine tailored to the new consoles. Maybe we could have done both, but that would have resulted in us splitting our limited resource and delaying our next-gen engine.

Im'm guessing that if you did that the release date would still be end of September/October time which people don't want. Everyone wants the game earlier in the year so I think it is a good idea

Well my guess is, and I know if I'm right Codemasters will never admit it and rightly so: I think they might have thought for too long that it would have been possible to release the next-gen version already for the 2014 game. When they found out it wouldn't be possible, they made a 2013 update with knowledge and work they did for the next-gen and implemented it in a 2014-rebranded version of F1 2013. 

I think, with the development rates we've seen in the past from Codemasters with the Grid franchise, the Dirt games and the F1 series, that if the plan was an old-gen game for 2014 and a next-gen early 2015's all along, they could have had a 2014 game for current gen as well as the next-gen port, same principle Milestone and EA did and already offer a support for the wide range of consoles we see in this transition phase, awaiting the completely new engine.  

Looking at the sales figures for F1 13 compared with F1 12, it's hard to see why F1 14 is coming out, especially since I reckon a lot of the sales of F1 13 were driven by the classics.

My preference as someone who does not own a next gen console yet, but will buy one when one becomes available would have been for CM to stick all their effort behind the new next gen version and make that as good as possible and bring it to market as early as possible. F1 14 just diverts resources away from the next gen version and risks producing two not so good games.

You've got to ask yourself if you had the development resource where would you stick it, on the next gen code that is probably a platform to build on for the next 5 years, or the current gen where little of the work done will be relevant going forwards. What consequences is that going to have for F1 14 ?

For me the strategy makes sense....and glad they were bold enough to go the route the did:

1. With so much competition purpose built for the new consoles a simple port would not have cut it and possibly done more damage than good. I mean even the makers of Driveclub which probably was one of the first studios to get new units..... needed an extra year....and even @ launch we still won't have full game (weather). And until I see more footage on project cars being played on ps4 , I can't help but be skeptical. Forza 5 has been criticised for not being a full game @ launch. Also this is a multi platform game which prob complicates things further. 

2. 2014 has seen some an extreme changes to sport. Codies will have only truly appreciated this in March.....thus not giving a lot time to both understand new new dynamics whilst also trying to build a new game.

3 New gen consoles are selling well but the number can't be anywhere near the total amount of old consoles sold over their entire life time.

4. I think this strategy allows Codies to release title earlier in the year and run concurrently with the current season for that year. This is something a lot of people want I think. Its a bit annoying getting the game when the season is almost over. I think other sports franchises releases are better....but they prob don't have to take into consideration numerous factors like f1 does....handling, car strengths etc 

I am getting f1 2014 and will be also getting the new f1 game in 2015. At least I have several months to get a gf cause I prob won't have social life once these games come out :)

I wish Codemaster name the consoles the right way.

Ps3/xbox360 = old gen

Ps4/xboxone = this gen

Its not next gen since the consoles are 1yr old now.

Codemasters are late with engine for this gen consoles and thats a fact.

I cant see anyone with ps4 buying old gen game.

I have a ps4 but I still play my 360 as my wheel works with all the racing games I own. There is a part of me that is so glad that it is coming out on the old consoles as Im guessing all wheel users would avoid F1 if they had to use a pad again so to me it makes sense to release on old gen as I bet most of the hardcore fan base are using wheels that will not be supported with ps4 xbox one. Ill be the first to admit that when I saw that it was old gen only I was gutted but I just cant see games being programmed to suit every wheel on the market (ps4) Im a die hard F1 fan so would prob buy it if it was only for ps1 but most ppl would avoid F1 on current gen I think with project cars, driveclub and the crew coming out at the end of the year on current gen. I just hope that this was wat they had planned for some time otherwise this years game might just be a copy n paste of last years game which may be enough even for the hardcore fans to avoid buying.

Hatta said:

This does make sense, and hopefully when info on the next-gen game (not calling it 2015, see? ;)) starts to come out people will see that this is what CM had to do to make the game into what we've been asking for since 2010.

It was always going to be a bit messy.  Releasing a game at the start of the Formula 1 season is what they should have done all along (F1 2015), but I suspect they are obligated to release a game once a year (F1 2014).   That, plus the transition to next gen - not sure what the best solution was, but I don't think they should have announced F1 2015 yet.  That said, I understand fans would be upset with the lack of updates, and removal of content (classics) with the F1 2014 release, so F1 2015 explains that and gives some hope for the future with just a short wait of approximately 6 months, vs a year.

i can see where you are coming from @likewise . i believe the only way they could release a game early in the season was doing it this way. sure its annoying me that i cant play f1 on my new console but the fact that we get the next game earlier and next gen exclusive more than makes up for it. plus the new consoles deserve a new engine to run the game and thats what they are doing, new engine specifically designed to run f1 on next gen.

Have you missed a chapter here. PS4 is almost 1 year old. Your CodeDisaster friends don't want to make racing games anymore, they're just looking to make money. Look what they did with GAS, they rushed it in less than a year after Grid 2. They are just using the lack of racing games for the moment on PS4, knowing

1. there are more preys having a PS3 then a PS4

2.they know once Project Cars will come out in November they'll be outclassed

berre said:

Have you missed a chapter here. PS4 is almost 1 year old. Your CodeDisaster friends don't want to make racing games anymore, they're just looking to make money. Look what they did with GAS, they rushed it in less than a year after Grid 2. They are just using the lack of racing games for the moment on PS4, knowing

1. there are more preys having a PS3 then a PS4

2.they know once Project Cars will come out in November they'll be outclassed

not necessarily as Project Cars is a different type of game altogether as P Cars are more designed for those that like a sim experience whereas CM's games are designed to be simcade. So trying to compare project cars with CM's games would be wrong

they are full of it,theyve had the developement hardware for programming this gen for ages!not just since last september,they have ballsed up,simple,i doubt that they will really release that early,otherwise why after the wii psp test run of f1 09,did they not release earlier from 2010,they are pushed for time,they struggle every year and this is just an opportunity for some breathing space.see how they have pushed this year back to oct?yeh so that next year they can call september,"earlier"in the season and you can bet that it will still feel like a port too.

2013 was released in October last year as well.

They need more development time since they're creating a new engine for it rather than updating their current one. It makes absolute sense that it's taking longer to release on next gen.

2013 was released in October last year as well.

They need more development time since they're creating a new engine for it rather than updating their current one. It makes absolute sense that it's taking longer to release on next gen.

Does to me as well