Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Brazilian GP

Recommended Posts

So that's it imo, Rosberg will win the title. Trump president and Rosberg world champion in the same year, kill me now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max Verstappen... What did I just watch. When they pit him under the safety car for full wets I thought that was the stupidest call, how could he possibly charge through the field?! But he did it. Wow absolutely incredible driving in these conditions by Max. The confidence he displayed talking out strategy and then to be able to actually back that up with the result is next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, Manor is fucked. Ocon had a fantastic race (and was much better than Wehrlein), ended up losing 10th and 11th in the final two laps of the race. Shame. Nothing insane ever happens in Abu Dhabi, so that's it really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, despite Rosberg not crashing or DNF'ing ( ;) ), that race was awesome. So many epic and nutty things happening, and to top it off with Verstappen's incredible run to 3rd was unreal. It's normally funny that the DotD ends up being Verstappen's even when he doesn't finish a race, but I happily voted for him this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They say that true talent shines in the rain. Maybe Nasr is a bit underrated and he's just a promising driver in absolute abysmal surroundings.

Also happy that Sainz did excellent in this race, has been overshadowed by Verstappen and has had bad luck, but he's seriously talented and a future race winner. First time that Red Bull has three drivers in F1 who are talented enough to compete for wins and maybe even championships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Verstappen drive needs a little bit of context put in to it. All the cars he passed in the last stint were on tyres ~30 laps older than his, in a car which was already the best/equal best in wet conditions. So let's not get too carried away. 

But having said that, Ricciardo was in the same situation and made nowhere near as much headway. And the range of Max's moves were truly stunning. So I'm still impressed. But don't call him the next Senna/Schumacher. Wait till he's in a fight for a championship. 

Jiggy said:
Nothing insane ever happens in Abu Dhabi, so that's it really.
Other than Ferrari blowing a 15 point lead to Vettel in 2010. Or Vettel getting a first corner puncture in 2011. Or Hamilton retiring from the lead and Vettel going from the pit lane to the podium in 2012. Or Rosberg suffering an ERS failure in 2014.

Lots of weird shit has happened in AD over the years, and Red Bull should be strong there considering the track is made up of 100% slow speed corners. Rosberg & Mercedes saved the day by negotiating their way to a 2nd place today, which gives him more lenience at the final race because he can now afford a 3rd. But anything is still possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fine, anti-climatic then. Becuase Vettel already secured the title in 2011 and Rosberg's failure meant the title was decided after 5 laps and 2010 saw little overtakes and Alonso being stuck behind Petrov for 50 laps because he was covering Webber during the pitstop, being unable to make a decent pass attempt whatsover. Of course, 2010 shook things up, but it was also a boring race.

Now that I think of it, outside from 2012, all the races there were boring and only got some edge to them because of WDC-implications. Brazil is known for throwing up absolutely unpredictable scenarios that can shake the entire field up. Abu Dhabi doesn't. The chance that something can happen is basically like the idea that something can happen in every single race and that is true. However, it's probably more likely that we'll see a parade with a Mercedes 1-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ted has said in his 'Notebook' that Gutierrez was furious about retiring the car, someone told him on the radio: 'bring it in mariachi' (group of Mexican people who play folklore music). That was why he threw his gloves and made the rant in the garage, then Gunter went to talk to him and Gutierrez told him to 'get lost', then We all saw when Gunter hold him by the shoulder.

lol mariachi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jiggy said:
Ted has said in his 'Notebook' that Gutierrez was furious about retiring the car, someone told him on the radio: 'bring it in mariachi' (group of Mexican people who play folklore music). That was why he threw his gloves and made the rant in the garage, then Gunter went to talk to him and Gutierrez told him to 'get lost', then We all saw when Gunter hold him by the shoulder.

lol mariachi

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ZHdxlni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not usually one to praise him as I've felt some of his driving has been questionable for a lot of this season, but Max was great today. I've gained respect for him that I lost for him in the last few months. Sure his tyres were fresher and he had a better car but he was still the only one showing that sort or prowess. Hopefully he keeps that level of performance up and doesn't slip back to Mexico/Spa.

Despite everything though, my favourite part of the race was Massa's walk back to the pits. Was an incredible moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
https://sampcup.com/radios/brazil.mp4

Extended team radio for Brazil. You can hear Button react to finishing last "I know I'm shit in the wet, but not that shit.", Wehrlein to hearing Nasr took 9th and Ocon finished 12th, Gutierrez to being told he needs to retire the car, which sets him off, everybody about the rain and the crashes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank goodness we had Verstappen out there making it interesting for us, because the racing otherwise was largely very sleepy. There were definitely a couple of proper heart in mouth moments during that race, I can't remember feeling quite like that in a long time.

It's whenever there's a car spinning uncontrollably or facing the wrong way against oncoming car, so Vettel's spin and Raikkonen's crash were hard to watch, they were so lucky that everyone missed him. And it is absolutely luck in those conditions, you just have no idea where the car is during those moments. I found it hardest to watch at the safety car restarts, especially the one after Raikkonen's red flag, I was just fearing the same thing would happen again. Thank goodness there wasn't a serious accident today. Unfortunately though, there will be in the future, I am sure of it.

It's races like this where I start to think having proper cockpit protection would be beneficial. I mean a proper canopy too, not some half-arsed attempt in the form of a halo. We can't be having cars running head on into other stationary ones without any protection, something needs to happen. I'd rather it was properly considered and time was taken to make it as good as possible, in terms of safety and aesthetics. F1 has a habit of making knee-jerk decisions and not properly thinking it through, so I hope cockpit protection can have proper time and research put into it before anything happens.

Great drive by Perez and Nasr in particular, nice to see Nasr getting in the points finally this year. Button was probably the most surprising today though, just absolutely no where on pace, getting the wrong tyre choices all day, just not good. He finished about 20 seconds off the next person as well!

I know Max was on fresh wets compared to those around him, but still, the utter bravery this kid has is unreal. So many times in that race I was thinking to myself 'surely he isn't going to, oh no, wait he is, how's he gonna stop that, bloody hell, well done boy!' Ricciardo has been more than outscoring Verstappen this season, but today, Ricciardo was no where compared to him. Amazing race. If Red Bull were on the same strategy as Mercedes I wouldn't mind betting he could have won that race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
For the championship, Hamilton's only chance of winning it is for something abnormal to happen to Rosberg, be it a crash (a simple spin at T1 with no damage won't make a difference, because he can easily get back to the top 3 if that happens), a mechanical problem, or some miracle that Red Bull just come alive and manage to genuinely race them.

I know it's all would've, could've, should've, but if Hamilton didn't have that DNF in Malaysia then he would be leading Rosberg by 16 points going into this last race (+25 for Hamilton, -3 for Rosberg, because he gained a position from Lewis' DNF), and I genuinely think that is a more accurate representation of the world championship so far. Very closely matched all season, both deserving of a chance to win it at the last race, but Hamilton has been the one who's had that bit of extra pace and has been the one to come out on top when everything has been equal between the drivers, without any car issues.

I've tried to work it out, and when everything has been equal between the Mercedes, with no mechanical or engine issues, Rosberg has won 5 times (AUS, BAH, ITA, SIN, JAP) and possibly 6 if you could Baku (Hamilton mucked up in Qualifying, but also had technical gremlins in the race which cost him a bit). Lewis has won 9 times (MON, CAN, AUT, GBR, HUN, GER, USA, MEX, BRA). The other 5 races have all had abnormal things happen, and all working in Rosberg's favour.

- CHN, Hamilton gearbox change, engine failure in Q1.
- RUS, Hamilton engine failure in Q3.
- ESP, crash, but certainly worked more in favour of Rosberg as he lost no points.
- BEL, Hamilton multiple engine change penalties
- MAL, Hamilton engine blowout.

Rosberg has had a bulletproof year in terms of reliability. I always think that reliability and luck tends to equal itself out over the course of a season, and there's still a part of me that hopes and thinks Rosberg will have some kind of issue in this last race. It will be cruel, cruel luck for him, and I hope he doesn't, especially after what happened there in 2014, but at the same time people will look at the results and see that when everything went right for them both, Hamilton scored more points, took more pole positions, and won more races than Rosberg.

I would be happy for Rosberg if he can win the title, absolutely, because he has driven impeccably all year and I always supported him before the days of Hamilton v Rosberg. But my heart still believes that Hamilton should be the one who comes out with the championship.

Only time will tell...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MBKF1 said:
For the championship, Hamilton's only chance of winning it is for something abnormal to happen to Rosberg, be it a crash (a simple spin at T1 with no damage won't make a difference, because he can easily get back to the top 3 if that happens), a mechanical problem, or some miracle that Red Bull just come alive and manage to genuinely race them.

I know it's all would've, could've, should've, but if Hamilton didn't have that DNF in Malaysia then he would be leading Rosberg by 16 points going into this last race (+25 for Hamilton, -3 for Rosberg, because he gained a position from Lewis' DNF), and I genuinely think that is a more accurate representation of the world championship so far. Very closely matched all season, both deserving of a chance to win it at the last race, but Hamilton has been the one who's had that bit of extra pace and has been the one to come out on top when everything has been equal between the drivers, without any car issues.

I've tried to work it out, and when everything has been equal between the Mercedes, with no mechanical or engine issues, Rosberg has won 5 times (AUS, BAH, ITA, SIN, JAP) and possibly 6 if you could Baku (Hamilton mucked up in Qualifying, but also had technical gremlins in the race which cost him a bit). Lewis has won 9 times (MON, CAN, AUT, GBR, HUN, GER, USA, MEX, BRA). The other 5 races have all had abnormal things happen, and all working in Rosberg's favour.

- CHN, Hamilton gearbox change, engine failure in Q1.
- RUS, Hamilton engine failure in Q3.
- ESP, crash, but certainly worked more in favour of Rosberg as he lost no points.
- BEL, Hamilton multiple engine change penalties
- MAL, Hamilton engine blowout.

Rosberg has had a bulletproof year in terms of reliability. I always think that reliability and luck tends to equal itself out over the course of a season, and there's still a part of me that hopes and thinks Rosberg will have some kind of issue in this last race. It will be cruel, cruel luck for him, and I hope he doesn't, especially after what happened there in 2014, but at the same time people will look at the results and see that when everything went right for them both, Hamilton scored more points, took more pole positions, and won more races than Rosberg.

I would be happy for Rosberg if he can win the title, absolutely, because he has driven impeccably all year and I always supported him before the days of Hamilton v Rosberg. But my heart still believes that Hamilton should be the one who comes out with the championship.

Only time will tell...
Well, it's not like the Rosberg's have a habit of being undeserved champions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×