DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

gk9147 said:
for v-rally4 no ford focus rx ( dlc pack coming soon )
Ford Focus Rx is in V-Rally 4
https://twitter.com/VRallyGame/status/1034113431794790400

er185 said:
gk9147 said:
for v-rally4 no ford focus rx ( dlc pack coming soon )
Ford Focus Rx is in V-Rally 4
https://twitter.com/VRallyGame/status/1034113431794790400
1- why is the Fiat Punto the only car in the S2000 class? Are they going to put it alongside R5s? Which, weirdly, are the two cars missing in DIRT 4 but make up for an even less interesting lineup without the Fiesta and the 208
2- why is the VW Polo without the Red Bull livery... The car just looks empty without the logo
3- what exactly is supposed to go against the Lancer, when there are no other WRC cars from the same period? (And yes, I do mean Subies, or a Focus)
4- the Porsche in Safari spec is nice. And alone. And useless because there is no such thing as the Safari in the game
5- the THREE 911 are limited to tarmac rallies like in real life? And how will the RWD be separated in the different classes?
6- the Lancias are in there just for the sake of it aren't they? The two Deltas literally have no match in that car list. They have the Martini stripes though...

In general, I think they just got the cars that they could, without much focus on having actual competitors for them to have decent classes

carpa said:

In general, I think they just got the cars that they could, without much focus on having actual competitors for them to have decent classes
Maybe that is sometimes a problem in general. In DiRT 4 you had a 07 Focus, but it’s competitors were the early 00’s Focus and Impreza. 

They could have added the S14 Impreza, because basically that model was already in DR as kinda R4/Group N car. And therefore I also not understand why the hatchback Impreza wasn’t at all in DR, as Rally or RX version. The models were there, just left out for no real reason really.

thats why I fear the Focus RS RX might not be in the new game, as it not competes in WRX. but it is a fan favorite car, same as the Impreza RX from DR.

Jepsertti said:
Anyone noticed how the VW Polo has "WRC" in its name? They seem to still have the license.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8jrTxa3ng

In-game, it's the Polo R Rally

A few people i know already got V-rally 4 (ps4) in retail in France.

All of them are disappointed, apparently it's a big downgrade compared to wrc 7 in pretty much all areas.

Haven't got the opportunity to play it yet, I should be able to try it out at a friend place later on this week.

Edit : Here is a picture of the box

yes both Belgium and France are both the targeted francophonic markets so the retails are already available. From the trailer, you can notice how flawed it is and how wobbly the cars handle, therefore, the gameplay would certainly disappoint. Not recommended for rally fans, a title to get over.

Comme on dit en français: à éviter!

Edit: @Accro2008 Yes please, go ahead and tell us your verdict! :)

I still find it amusing that a game called V-Rally 4 has no rally cars on the cover
This also bugged me from the very first time I saw the box-art. A game who's primary discipline is supposed to be rally and there are 0 rally cars to be seen. Never made sense.

Would like to hear some impressions and see some photomode options if possible. Really had/have high hopes for V-Rally ! I just picked up WRC7 and that is a blast so so far ! BTW promo on PSN for €17,99

I think the biggest question I have is how the career mode is. Because if it's not similar to V-Rally 3's amazing career mode I don't really have any motivation of picking this up.

I got to try it really quick on ps4 yesterday night. (wall of text incoming)

I played with a pad, while i only played WRC 7 with a wheel so my feedback may be lacking in that area.
But I played on a pad years and years before that, and i use a pad from time to time when at a friend place.

I only did two rally stages in quick game, both on gravel with the hood view.

One with the fabia r5 in Kenya to have a base of comparison with WRC 7.
Quite a boring stage to be honest with mostly wide roads and some water splash, but the environment looked great.
Gameplay wise it was similar to what i experienced in WRC 7, but my friend told me that V-rally 4 was a bit more accessible (you could brake later and carry more speed in general).

And one stage in Malaysia with the Tuthill porsche. At least the porsche had a great interior modeled.
The stage was quite long and went through a beach with very wide sandy roads and at some point on tight gravel roads surrounded by water.
This one was just terrible, the rwd physics on gravel were just awful. The way the car "snapped" into oversteer felt so unatural, it was like playing with an on/off switch. 

The main thing that shocked me overall was the lack of feeling for the grip maybe due to the physics, I don't know if it is the same for WRC 7 when playing on a pad.

Otherwise, like seen on the previous videos for the game, it doesn't look very good. The car sounds are underwhelming and the codriver is still terrible. On top of that an atroucious sound track, probably the worst i have heard in the last ten year.
The performance and frame rate were alright with a few drops here and there.

After that we went out for a few drinks, it was a much more enjoyable experience.
I think the biggest question I have is how the career mode is. Because if it's not similar to V-Rally 3's amazing career mode I don't really have any motivation of picking this up.
For the career mode, you have to sign contracts, recruit ingeneers etc.
You also need to buy cars, and upgrade them (around 20 upgrades by cars) to get their full potential.
But I didn't found any livery editor, or sponsor system.

Reminded me a lot of Dirt 4 career mode personally.

And yes to beat the game you have to beat all discplines, so you have to do the gymkhana stuff for example.

Accro2008 said:
I got to try it really quick on ps4 yesterday night. (wall of text incoming)

I played with a pad, while i only played WRC 7 with a wheel so my feedback may be lacking in that area.
But I played on a pad years and years before that, and i use a pad from time to time when at a friend place.

I only did two rally stages in quick game, both on gravel with the hood view.

One with the fabia r5 in Kenya to have a base of comparison with WRC 7.
Quite a boring stage to be honest with mostly wide roads and some water splash, but the environment looked great.
Gameplay wise it was similar to what i experienced in WRC 7, but my friend told me that V-rally 4 was a bit more accessible (you could brake later and carry more speed in general).

And one stage in Malaysia with the Tuthill porsche. At least the porsche had a great interior modeled.
The stage was quite long and went through a beach with very wide sandy roads and at some point on tight gravel roads surrounded by water.
This one was just terrible, the rwd physics on gravel were just awful. The way the car "snapped" into oversteer felt so unatural, it was like playing with an on/off switch. 

The main thing that shocked me overall was the lack of feeling for the grip maybe due to the physics, I don't know if it is the same for WRC 7 when playing on a pad.

Otherwise, like seen on the previous videos for the game, it doesn't look very good. The car sounds are underwhelming and the codriver is still terrible. On top of that an atroucious sound track, probably the worst i have heard in the last ten year.
The performance and frame rate were alright with a few drops here and there.

After that we went out for a few drinks, it was a much more enjoyable experience.
For the career mode, you have to sign contracts, recruit ingeneers etc.
You also need to buy cars, and upgrade them (around 20 upgrades by cars) to get their full potential.
But I didn't found any livery editor, or sponsor system.

Reminded me a lot of Dirt 4 career mode personally.

And yes to beat the game you have to beat all discplines, so you have to do the gymkhana stuff for example.
Thank you very much for the first impressions. Is there anything you can say about the photo mode? Personally I am very interested in that. What you describe on the handling, I don't have that same experience in WRC7 only that the cars haven't got a weighty feel to it. The pad control is excellent on WRC7 and it gets even better when steeringsensitivity is reduced to around 20%.

The rearwheel physics you describe have got me worried though. I think I'll wait for more impressions to see the general consensus on this one. Man, this had so much potential but reading all this has reduced my enthusiasm quite a bit... :(

P308R said:
Thank you very much for the first impressions. Is there anything you can say about the photo mode?
I didn't pause the game or watch the replay so I don't even know if there is one, sorry.

Accro2008 said:
I can't pretend to have any idea about this but would that happen to be a Porsche with the engine behind the rear wheels instead of infront (every single 911) Never driven one but I imagine that would give them a different handling feel on gravel.

Mid/rear engined vehicles aren’t snappy.  They’re just a little harder to catch and tend to understeer a bit.  Porsche, however, seem to have developed & addressed both traits unbelievably well at this stage of the 911’s evolution.

This sums up clearly that no modern rally title could beat DiRT 4 even though it received many "arcadey-sort-of-thing" criticism.. If only Codies were able to get their hands on the Porsche licence and other cars licences, they would have come up with a very innovative rally game.

Darhour said:
This sums up clearly that no modern rally title could beat DiRT 4 even though it received many "arcadey-sort-of-thing" criticism.. If only Codies were able to get their hands on the Porsche licence and other cars licences, they would have come up with a very innovative rally game.
Dirt4 with the WRC7 stages ?

Darhour said:
in all honesty WRC 7 is the best rally title since dirt rally. so it is possible its just whether people want to risk it to try and make the perfect rally game. so many studios have deadlines that have to be met.

to make the best or better game has to have some soul in it. you know when that happens you can naturally feel it. same as when you play a game thats been made to deadline. all great games go the extra length.

More and more videos are popping up and V-Rally seems a solid title. Graphical quality above WRC7 and gameplay (controler) very much the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhB0kWRF0y8

P308R said:
More and more videos are popping up and V-Rally seems a solid title. Graphical quality above WRC7 and gameplay (controler) very much the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhB0kWRF0y8
The Pacenotes are horrid

.Gezz... At this day and age, and there's still Racing Games using vacuum cleaner sounds, from 20 years ago. There's Mods with much better car sounds...

Codies is definitely up to some new rally game/sim, so I think it's time for some wishlisting/suggesting!
If your all estimates of a Q1 '19 release are anywhere near accurate, I will assume that location choice and top-tier-car licensing is already pretty close to being wrapped up. (#hoping Argentina or Azores and Germany with the Vineyards instead of Baumholder) So I won't dive further into this. Instead let's focus on other areas:

Damage System:
Rather go into D4's direction instead of DR. If you drive a clean stage the car should still be in pretty good shape visually AND mechanically (unlike DiRT Rally)

FIA R4/R2 & National Leagues:
I hope you keep the '15 STI and Evo X for R4-Class. But maybe consider expanding it a little with other competitive cars, like older Evos/Subis. And I would even like one more class below R4, like similar to the official R2, but consisting much more of cars, you often see in amateur leagues on a national level: GT86/BRZ, Impreza 2.0R, Golf II, Fiesta Mk6, Audi A3/S3, Volvo 240...

Tires and Weather:
Keep the spare-tire choice (take none for lighter car, take one for repair possibility)
If the weather is more or less static, actual tire choice is irrelevant, cause the best choice would always be obvious. But if there is dynamic weather (between stages without service OR even changing on stage), maybe consider tire choice. ..but not a high priority tbh

One-Try MP:
Some System for Asynchronous MP Rallies, to ensure (if it was setup) that everyone can only try a stage once. I believe D4 did this quite well already, just a few cases of abuse are left to squish.

Danger and Hard-Mode:
If you haven't decided to do real-world stages, design your stages dangerous. IMHO the most satisfaction is earned, when you master a particular difficult section of a track with absolute precision and on the very edge. D4 was quite lacking in these moments, DR had quite some places like this: think about that 6th-gear part in greece, downhill. Or the sideway jumps in finland. Or the highspeed narrow bits of Hamra/Sweden. What was desperatly missing was narrow tarmac (Vineyard Germany. Or Corsica) And D4 had almost none of these bits.
Also consider a Hard-Mode for the career. So that price-money is low. You rather have to reach certain goals of your sponsors to really earn money. But at the same time you'd have to almost rebuy your car (in repair costs), if you total it. Giving you that nerve-wrecking edge of going full flat- to progress faster with more money, while risking the time of a whole season if you make a costly mistake. Especially in amateur series, even going that far, that a game-over would in theory be possible.

Thoughts?

@SkyRex

Thoughts are pretty much that I agree with you, but if the game is coming out for Q1 next year pretty much all decisions will have been taken already I believe.

The tweets from Loehec mean RX will still be a large part of it, I assume, so fingers crossed the rally section gets plenty of attention too. To me, making the game challenging again is high on the list - DR was but D4 wasn't, as you say - but the game will live or die by its rally stages for me; finding a way to introduce more than the ~120km of stages which had been in the last two titles.

Personally, I'd like to see plenty of attention given to the calculation behind AI cars and drivers (not making them visible) but we'll see what they come up with as a game concept first.