DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I'm not sure, but I think that's actually how Your Stage works. There's a premade map with hills and forests and it makes a road through it using preset tiles that get adapted to the terrain.

Someone please update to the party, Dirt 4 is out but that is a disaster I'm still rocking Dirt Rally and I was hoping for a new Dirt rally game to come out with more features, Dirt 4 in my eyes is a complete mess up compared to Dirt Rally. Codemasters could even make a DLC named WRC Season with repaints for cars and new maps id buy it simply because the Physics are good not the best but good.

Dirt 4 was in no way a disaster. The weight of cars was drastically improved, and rallycross was much better than dirt rally (although the ai wasn’t quick enough)

The biggest trouble with randomly generated stages is Pacenotes. If the notes aren’t accurate then it’s completely pointless, and true random generation will never be able to get pace otes right

Dirt 4 was in no way a disaster. The weight of cars was drastically improved, and rallycross was much better than dirt rally (although the ai wasn’t quick enough)

The biggest trouble with randomly generated stages is Pacenotes. If the notes aren’t accurate then it’s completely pointless, and true random generation will never be able to get pace otes right

I agree but do you not agree that Dirt Rally feels better? do you race with a wheel?

Oscar97 said:
I'm not sure, but I think that's actually how Your Stage works. There's a premade map with hills and forests and it makes a road through it using preset tiles that get adapted to the terrain.
It could be, but the road surface itself doesn't really change much.

I felt in D4 the cars actually lacked weight and that feeling of forward momentum. Sense of speed was off as well in cockpit view imo

Delta531 said:

I agree but do you not agree that Dirt Rally feels better? do you race with a wheel?
Yeah of course, I didn’t say dirt 4 was better, I just said it wasn’t a disaster! Yeah I race with a wheel.

I don’t think there’s any conspiracy as to why dirt 4 wasn’t as good, I think they just tried to improve on dirt rally and didn’t quite get it right, which is a big shame

I agree with you on this one. As earlier comments have already said I think the relative simplicity of the stages in D4 (when compared to DR) is what gives the impression that D4 is a step backwards.

Due to an online challenge I have seen I have been playing DR a bit over the last few weeks and yes, the stages are fantastically detailed, but I find some elements of the handling really jarring (specifically car weight and car behaviour after hitting bumps). That isn't to say D4 is perfect as there are still some things I think DR does better. 

If they could develop Your Stage to a point where it could produce stages with the same level of detail and variety as those in DR then I think it would have everyones vote. I think they could get it to that point, but I do wonder how long it would take to get there. 

Either way it'll be announced soon. I dream of dirt rally but with 10-15 rally events. Could've got years out of dirt rally with updates an paid content. Let's hope ay

Looks like all drivers are very positive about Pastrana's NRX track. Would be a nice DLC track for the new game.

Either way it'll be announced soon. I dream of dirt rally but with 10-15 rally events. Could've got years out of dirt rally with updates an paid content. Let's hope ay

Personally, I don't really care about the number of events, it's the number of kilometres they can create which is important to me. I would have preferred 200km of unique stage over four locations than 100 over 8.

I understand the huge challenge they have here, as I'm basically asking for more unique Kms of road than Project Cars has, but to me the biggest issue with both DR and D4 was the fact each location only had about 20km of unique stage.

It was a disaster.

Keko55 said:
For me, the R5 category was the improvement promised by CM from Dirt Rally.
The R5 cars are one of, if not my most, favourite car class in D4. 

Absolutely love driving each of the R5's. The 4WD rally cars are, for the most part, the biggest improvement to me in D4. 

For me, the RWD’s were unforgivable.  When legendary cars completely loose their character, I’d prefer it if they weren’t in the game than be in it all wrong 

KevM said:
For me, the RWD’s were unforgivable.  When legendary cars completely loose their character, I’d prefer it if they weren’t in the game than be in it all wrong 
Yup. The RWD went from being revolutionary good in DR to absolut crap in D4. By far the biggest disappointment in D4 imo.

D4 seemed like an incredibly rushed project. It must have been painful for the devs promoting it after the successful passion project that was DR. 

To be honest I loved the F2 kitcars in DR. As I don't have a wheel I tend to leave the RWDs out of it but hopefully one day I'll have the pleasure.
I agree D4 felt like a rush quick penny jobby. Dirt rally felt like a passion project. Let's hope that labour of love returns. I will be forever grateful

bogani said:
KevM said:
Yup. The RWD went from being revolutionary good in DR to absolut **** in D4. By far the biggest disappointment in D4 imo.

D4 seemed like an incredibly rushed project. It must have been painful for the devs promoting it after the successful passion project that was DR. 
I just hope it was rushed because it was a last ditch effort to refine the old ego engine, and that they rushed it out and left it rather untouched due to just moving all efforts into a new engine when they noticed that the old ego engine was a dead end. 

bogani said:
KevM said:
It must have been painful for the devs promoting it after the successful passion project that was DR. 

My heart bleeds for anyone responsible for falsely suggesting the fact I wouldn't recognise repeated 'tiles' for ages, when in reality it was the second stage I played in any country.

I'm looking forward to finding out more, but I've been burned by my full price D4 pre-order and will be a lot more wary this time.

Dytut said:
I just hope it was rushed because it was a last ditch effort to refine the old ego engine, and that they rushed it out and left it rather untouched due to just moving all efforts into a new engine when they noticed that the old ego engine was a dead end. 
Does it mean that the major engine rewrite happened after D4, not before?

Yeah, I hope that IF something new is in the pipeline, it’s as pure as Dirt Rally rather than following the ‘accessibility’ trend of DiRT 4.  
Loads of folk liked DiRT 4, but the Rally aspect was more ‘Game’ than ‘simulation’.
DiRT Rally was praised for its intensity & accuracy.  Even though some folk couldn’t get to grips with it initially, if you gave it time it eventually clicked.  That’s what’s rewarding and that’s what keeps you coming back.  

In other news. Rally Finland's little brother, Rally Hedemarken was held this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISGxMFbbr3s
It pretty much looks like DiRT Rally's Finland with all the fall colors

D4 Felt rushed at least for me.
In other news. Rally Finland's little brother, Rally Hedemarken was held this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISGxMFbbr3s
It pretty much looks like DiRT Rally's Finland with all the fall colors

and great video it really does.