Jump to content
DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

 

Message added by PJTierney

Recommended Posts

Mafkees89 said:


Yes, it's true that it was more in it's infancy back then, however it really hasn't progressed much since then.
The technology is slowly getting better, but it's still very expensive for entry and no more games have made it a standard or consider it needed than it was 3 years ago.

Specific titles made for VR ended up using it, all the adaptations ended up down a dark alley. 
I have to disagree with you on the entry cost. You can pick up an oculus DK2 for the price of a G27 for instance and it'll run just fine on a gtx 970, with still some margin to go lower specs. 

Whilst the imagequality may not be that great as of yet (fully agree on that front, mind you), the essence of VR still elevates the experience to a completely new level. 

Concerning what games have made it a standard: here I can only argue on driving games, but what I see there is that every serious sim has vr support. Codemasters originally entered those ranks when it implemented VR in Dirt Rally and it's very sad to now see them turn their backs to it.
I’m sure they haven’t turned their backs to it.  It’s just not a priority.  Bit of a cherry-on-top when everything else is well underway.  I have 2 platforms that’d play DR2.0, neither of them will run VR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As for VR- I would rather have them forward more resources to refine core elements. VR is still a niche, having it sold as DLC for those who really need it would not be completely unreasonable IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JZStudios said:
I haven't tried DR with VR but I'm sure it's great. That said, not buying what looks to be the best rally game ever made because it doesn't have vr is an unusual one to say the least. If VR was added to DR but not to D4 perhaps it had something to do with the procedural stages? I dunno. Either way I'm sure they'll add it if they can and if they do I'll give it a whirl if I can afford it. Steering wheel first though. 
Has anyone tried wheels on PS4? If so which one works best? (Don't know if I can warrant 50 billion pounds on a fanatec thingy,mind)
Fanatec wheels aren't that expensive. Although the CSL for PS4 is strangely $100 more than the one for Xbox... Gotta be some kind of licensing issue since it took them quite a while to make one for PS4.
Well the g29 is about £170 and the fanatec is a whopping £460 ish. I'm thinking if the Logitech feels nice in the hand and has a decent ffb motor then it might be a solid option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JZStudios said:
I haven't tried DR with VR but I'm sure it's great. That said, not buying what looks to be the best rally game ever made because it doesn't have vr is an unusual one to say the least. If VR was added to DR but not to D4 perhaps it had something to do with the procedural stages? I dunno. Either way I'm sure they'll add it if they can and if they do I'll give it a whirl if I can afford it. Steering wheel first though. 
Has anyone tried wheels on PS4? If so which one works best? (Don't know if I can warrant 50 billion pounds on a fanatec thingy,mind)
Fanatec wheels aren't that expensive. Although the CSL for PS4 is strangely $100 more than the one for Xbox... Gotta be some kind of licensing issue since it took them quite a while to make one for PS4.
Well the g29 is about £170 and the fanatec is a whopping £460 ish. I'm thinking if the Logitech feels nice in the hand and has a decent ffb motor then it might be a solid option.
It’s the only wheel I’ve ever owned but I really enjoy it. The only time I’ve had problems has been on Forza games which is really odd. But DR, D4 and F1 it works really well, and I’ve had a blast with it. I’d recommend getting the h-pattern shifter with it too, as it can be used as a handbrake as well as h pattern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RallyDriven said:
It’s the only wheel I’ve ever owned but I really enjoy it. The only time I’ve had problems has been on Forza games which is really odd. But DR, D4 and F1 it works really well, and I’ve had a blast with it. I’d recommend getting the h-pattern shifter with it too, as it can be used as a handbrake as well as h pattern
Forzas are really weird with wheel. They're controller-first games. I guess wheel support is a bit of an afterthought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mafkees89 said:
Yes, it would be nice to see them put it in DR2.0, but the cost is still there, and it's not limited to the additional hardware, your PC really needs to be up to snuff as well.
Which is exactly why I mentioned that the pc requirements aren't that crazy either. given the low imagequality there's little to gain from high settings anyway.

In addition, I have to argue vr makes more serious simracing a lot more accessible as well. where the next upgrade after a good wheel used to be a multi monitor setup, requiring a lot of space and money, now you can just get a vr headset for less than one good monitor, and it barely takes any space at all.
Monitors are super cheap though, and useful for far more scenarios than a low res VR headset. You also wouldn't have a PC without space for a desk, and anyone who does have a decent size desk could probably accommodate a triple setup provided they don't get massive monitors.
You're also ignoring that most people don't have a 970 or greater in this little bubble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I got a Vive specifically for DR and AC and while car control and awareness significantly improved (i could actually drive RWD Group B)) personally I think current gen headsets aren't good enough yet. Too expensive and the image isn't clear enough.
I'd rather a more feature rich game than VR support - and I have a headset.

Disclaimer - fanboy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whilst I would've  liked to make a lot more noise about VR support the simple truth is that my system can barely handle it in Dirt Rally and GPU's that can handle it consistently are still far in the high end, whilst the lower cost WMR headsets are a hardware option(arguably better in some ways for driving compared to Occulus and Vive) they have slightly higher resolutions leading to even more system strain, this couples furthermore with the disappointing recent GPU release at over $1000 which means that it's still costly to get into VR for many users, and may continue to be so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nbates66 said:
Whilst I would've  liked to make a lot more noise about VR support the simple truth is that my system can barely handle it in Dirt Rally and GPU's that can handle it consistently are still far in the high end, whilst the lower cost WMR headsets are a hardware option(arguably better in some ways for driving compared to Occulus and Vive) they have slightly higher resolutions leading to even more system strain, this couples furthermore with the disappointing recent GPU release at over $1000 which means that it's still costly to get into VR for many users, and may continue to be so.
But the prices and used market for sub par products tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hoping it plays nicely with steam play. Do most of my gaming on linux these days, and can't see them doing a native version if VR is considered too much effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JZStudios said:
Monitors are super cheap though, and useful for far more scenarios than a low res VR headset. You also wouldn't have a PC without space for a desk, and anyone who does have a decent size desk could probably accommodate a triple setup provided they don't get massive monitors.
You're also ignoring that most people don't have a 970 or greater in this little bubble.
It depends how you look at it. Second hand used Oculus CV1 is about 200-350€. Yeah, resolution is not that great, but immersion that you get is insane. You need 3 monitor setup to get anything as close, that means 100€x3. Now, that means theses are a cheap ones and most likely 60Hz compared to Oculus 90Hz screen. Videocards that could run DR in VR mode are ~100€ if you buy it 2nd hand.  That said, everyone who are saying that they don't buy the game because it doesn't have VR support, well, you will be missing out some great fun. BUT, thous who are saying that VR doesn't make a difference, because it minority? It something like years ago when first FFB wheels came to market- they were expensive and not many had them. Lot of racing games didn't support great many devices, but now it's common sense, because racing with a wheel makse so much more sense than using keyboard or a controller. VR is exactly like that. It' makes sense that good racing title would support VR, because it's that good! I have around 1000h at DR and only 150-200h at D4, only because VR support. (i'm also the minority who thinks D4 handling is decent, so that could mean I have something wrong in my head).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keko55 said:
¿Will Saab be in this Dirt Rally 2.0? Mmmmm... 
probably not, even if they were in the game they would break down long before they got to the start line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just because VR hasn't been announced, it doesn't mean this won't happen. The game is still months away from release and its possible that it will be released later on as an update or DLC. The Oculus Rift is now £399 and you can get a used GTX970 for around £150 so while its not necessarily cheap, I'd say its the best addition to sim racing you can get besides a wheel and much more affordable than it used to be and the uptake is growing. I don't know what numbers DR VR had but I hope its enough to get it implemented into DR2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keko55 said:
¿Will Saab be in this Dirt Rally 2.0? Mmmmm... 
probably not, even if they were in the game they would break down long before they got to the start line
¿Do not you get confused with Alfa Romeo? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keko55 said:
Keko55 said:
¿Will Saab be in this Dirt Rally 2.0? Mmmmm... 
probably not, even if they were in the game they would break down long before they got to the start line
¿Do not you get confused with Alfa Romeo? 
I've got a Found On Road Dead Focus ST, hooray for stereotypes! (its still going strong fyi)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keko55 said:
Keko55 said:
¿Will Saab be in this Dirt Rally 2.0? Mmmmm... 
probably not, even if they were in the game they would break down long before they got to the start line
¿Do not you get confused with Alfa Romeo? 
I've got a Found On Road Dead Focus ST, hooray for stereotypes! (its still going strong fyi)
Don't forget to Fix Or Repair Daily. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tbtstt said:
Keko55 said:
Keko55 said:
¿Will Saab be in this Dirt Rally 2.0? Mmmmm... 
probably not, even if they were in the game they would break down long before they got to the start line
¿Do not you get confused with Alfa Romeo? 
I've got a Found On Road Dead Focus ST, hooray for stereotypes! (its still going strong fyi)
Don't forget to Fix Or Repair Daily. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zissakos1 said:
Just because VR hasn't been announced, it doesn't mean this won't happen. The game is still months away from release and its possible that it will be released later on as an update or DLC. The Oculus Rift is now £399 and you can get a used GTX970 for around £150 so while its not necessarily cheap, I'd say its the best addition to sim racing you can get besides a wheel and much more affordable than it used to be and the uptake is growing. I don't know what numbers DR VR had but I hope its enough to get it implemented into DR2.

Some posts above there was link to an interview with Christina, where she said that.
@urgaffel @ChristinaMc   Can you please confirm ??

The thing is: why would such a highly acclaimed, highly capable developer like Codemasters, that has ALREADY implemented VR support, in a RALLY TITLE, not include this right from the start, in the sequel to that critically acclaimed great game???
This is just not understandable. Why can't the same implementation be used, at least for the beginning? And then be refined later.

Because CM wants us to pay extra for VR? SO BE IT. Please just offer the VR DLC from day 1!!!




Easy answer: Resources + userbase. You have to prioritise somewhere and I'd rather we get a polished game day 1 and a VR update later on than to include it day 1 and have some other issues. VR support in DR was an experiment to see how successful it was and its catering to the minority at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I will always be an advocate for VR especially in racing sims but you have to think of the bigger picture and not everything can be produced/included because of distribution of budget. Its not a simple port over from DR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Am I right in thinking @urgaffel mentioned we may get more game info today? Or have I made that up?
Don’t think we will get anything else until Monday, but that will probably mainly be gameplay and first impressions rather than new info. But I can’t wait to see some direct feed gameplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zissakos1 said:
The thing is: why would such a highly acclaimed, highly capable developer like Codemasters, that has ALREADY implemented VR support, in a RALLY TITLE, not include this right from the start, in the sequel to that critically acclaimed great game???
This is just not understandable. Why can't the same implementation be used, at least for the beginning? And then be refined later.
It's not that easy to do. I'll quote myself from another thread:
Areyouben said:
Having worked on a few VR projects I would like to share these points:

- VR is awesome!
- VR has a future in simracing.
- VR implementation is NOT a matter of clicking a few buttons.
- VR implementation is NOT a matter of copy/paste from previous games.
- VR market share is still very low compared to traditional single and triple screen setups.
- Game development is a business, which consists of making choices throughout development that make financial sense.

So to conclude: I'm not hating on VR, VR is awesome! But I'm not at all surprised about the missing of VR support at launch. It is a lot of work to implement. And in order to do all that work Codies needs to invest extra money which is difficult to justify if only a small portion of your player base is actually going to use it.

It is kind of why no big developers worked on Kinect games. It was pretty cool tech as well but with a very low market share so it did not make sense to invest money in something not profitable.

I'm not saying VR is the same as Kinect, or that it will fail like Kinect did. I would love to see DR 2.0 get VR support, it's just that the current market isn't there yet so for some developers it's difficult to justify the investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×