F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

DiRT Rally 2.0 in Real Life  Argentina
https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=501102376453

Didzis said:
The only problem I see with a mixed tarmac/gravel stage and tyre choice in a game is that one is always going to be faster, and once you’ve worked out which one that is that’s pretty much the tyre choice done for the rest of your time playing. 

I think spain will most likely be 100% tarmac seeing as it’s the only tarmac location in game. Hopefully we can see something like gravel being pulled onto the road from cuts like in real life, and that will act similarly to road deterioration will on the gravel events
I think tire choice could make more sense in rallycross, where you get 8 tires per weekend. Would be cool if tire strategy played some role
Yeah, that would add another level of strategy to the rallycross. 

gfRally said:
@kheiro
link doesn't work                                    
 Video 1:54  you see what i mean.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzfaKwZpzpw 

Saw this on 9gag, though it was relevent to the previous conversationg going on here :D Some of the VR guys sure could use it too

See, that's the kind of shenanigans that tea drinkers do. 

Us coffee people just lets the darkness guide us.

I'd like to think all the VR-based whining is the work of coffee drinkers.

I can categorically tell you that any excessive whining from a tea drinking VR owner will result in their immediate dismissal from T-Force. 

Excuse me, humble chase-cam pad player here. Just here to say I really enjoyed the controller feedback on Dirt Rally and 4, and hope it continues in 2.0

Looking forward to the release!

Excuse me, humble chase-cam pad player here. Just here to say I really enjoyed the controller feedback on Dirt Rally and 4, and hope it continues in 2.0

Don't worry, its not all VR using wheel snobs here, there are other appreciative controller players. :)

(You need to see someone about that chase cam though ;) ) 

Yeah I played controller for a bit on dirt rally before I upgraded to a wheel and it was really good. Probably one of the best sim games to play on a controller

One thing I really hope is more like DR than D4 is the cockpit cam. Had a bit more movement in the camera relative to the car in DR that made it easier to tell how the car was behaving. Small thing but made a big difference for me playing on controller and not having ffb through a wheel to get that info.

Anyone still have the B-Roll leaked videos? Codemasters have filled copyright infringement and they removed it from the interwebs!

jayp666 said:
Anyone still have the B-Roll leaked videos? Codemasters have filled copyright infringement and they removed it from the interwebs!
I have DiRT Rally 2.0 - Replay en Audi Quattro en Argentine 

Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
I still can't believe that all 3 companies produced the same car without any trace of distinguishing features between them.
Scion is a sub-brand of Toyota, so the GT86 and FRS are the same, but BRZ has a bit different front end. The easiest way to tell them apart is to remember - GT86/FRS = Frowny face, BRZ = Smiley face. And the new GT86 is just a wider frowny face

Think the Toyotas look a bit better, not a big thick piece of black plastic stretching across the front. Completely forgot that the bumpers were any different at all.
zissakos1 said:
Metzgerov said:
I love all the banter but lets not lose track of the main thing here:

Is the game fun. Thats why we play after all and it is a "game" we are talking about.
Yes the driving model must be satisfying but 99% of you have not driven a real race car in anger so your "opinion" on realistic handling models is worth about $0.01.

As someone who has raced since 97 I enjoy something that approaches real feeling, but that its fun and immersive. Some games you all consider "hardcore" sims have overly difficult driving models which in reality isn't the case. Real race cars are easy to drive and handle great and stick to the road. Its extracting that extra 10% on the limit which makes things hairy and challenging. But in general a setup race car with race tires is really hard to spinout or go off the track unless you are driving like a moron. This is why Iracing to me is a joke as being the most realistic.

Anyway I digress. Remember this is about fun and challenge and enjoying something even if its not 100% realistic. As long as they build that I think we will all be happy.
My experience says you're going to enjoy this one ;)
Are you one of the guys who got beta acess already? If yes When will you be able to talk about your experience?
When it's out. ;)

kheiro said:
gfRally said:
@kheiro
link doesn't work                                    
 Video 1:54  you see what i mean.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzfaKwZpzpw 

Where's @urgaffel ? I demand dust like that. I NEED IT.

I also hate to triple post, but in completely unrelated news I fired up BeamNG last night and found 2 map mods that are actually quite good. One is a 4km sq section of Mojave style off road racing trails, but more exciting is that someone managed to get LiDAR data for the entirety of Pikes Peak. There was a recent update where the road surfaces have all been smoothed and roadside objects and little side roads are all placed along the route used Google streetview as a reference. It's really quite good. I recommend it if any of you have Beam.

JZStudios said:
Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
I still can't believe that all 3 companies produced the same car without any trace of distinguishing features between them.
Scion is a sub-brand of Toyota, so the GT86 and FRS are the same, but BRZ has a bit different front end. The easiest way to tell them apart is to remember - GT86/FRS = Frowny face, BRZ = Smiley face. And the new GT86 is just a wider frowny face

Think the Toyotas look a bit better, not a big thick piece of black plastic stretching across the front. Completely forgot that the bumpers were any different at all.
I kinda like the smiley BRZ better :D And with a licence plate in place, that plastic part isn't that noticeable. Also, it looks like that Scion doesn't have front fog lights, whereas GT86 does, so that's one way to tell those two apart

zissakos1 said:
Metzgerov said:

Is the game fun. Thats why we play after all and it is a "game" we are talking about.
Yes the driving model must be satisfying but 99% of you have not driven a real race car in anger so your "opinion" on realistic handling models is worth about $0.01.

As someone who has raced since 97 I enjoy something that approaches real feeling, but that its fun and immersive. Some games you all consider "hardcore" sims have overly difficult driving models which in reality isn't the case. Real race cars are easy to drive and handle great and stick to the road. Its extracting that extra 10% on the limit which makes things hairy and challenging. But in general a setup race car with race tires is really hard to spinout or go off the track unless you are driving like a moron. This is why Iracing to me is a joke as being the most realistic.

Anyway I digress. Remember this is about fun and challenge and enjoying something even if its not 100% realistic. As long as they build that I think we will all be happy.
Are you one of the guys who got beta acess already? If yes When will you be able to talk about your experience?
Technically we were/are on a handling test.  We can talk a little about our impressions, i don't think anything specific though.

zissakos1 said:
Metzgerov said:

Technically we were/are on a handling test.  We can talk a little about our impressions, i don't think anything specific though.
I think one of the biggest concerns is can you properly slide a car? In DR sliding an RWD car felt great, in D4 RWD's felt terrible. All I want to know is it closer to DR or D4 in that regard?

Didzis said:
zissakos1 said:
Metzgerov said:

I think one of the biggest concerns is can you properly slide a car? In DR sliding an RWD car felt great, in D4 RWD's felt terrible. All I want to know is it closer to DR or D4 in that regard?
The simple answer is YES.

Yea I have been a controller user on dirt rally. But oh man. I can't forgive chase cam. Thought that was in just to tick a box, didn't think anyone actually used it. 

Didzis said:
zissakos1 said:
Metzgerov said:

Rear wheel drive in D4 was just plain wrong.  
Where they are at now with RWD for 2.0, will probably make the RWD from DiRT Rally feel a bit ‘lame’?  B)