DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

FWD handling is always difficult. Sometimes when I’ve been sat in the car it feels like we’re going really sideways, but when I look back at onboards or any spectator footage, the rear end looks a lot less lively and there’s a surprising amount of grip. It’s hard to tell from
videos how hard that golf is being pushed

versedi said:
6:00 @urgaffel why the RPM meter is upside down? xD

https://youtu.be/Z_l8pMfs1HI

Because it is easier to see when it is about to reach a cut off value.
BTW airplanes sometimes used the same layout back in steam gauges era (so you could spot that one of gauges shows values that are out of the order).

So hard and soft compound. Will be interesting on longer stages.

I didn't see anyone post this, VVV uploaded a video:

https://youtu.be/DS7JHernQRg

FWD handling is always difficult. Sometimes when I’ve been sat in the car it feels like we’re going really sideways, but when I look back at onboards or any spectator footage, the rear end looks a lot less lively and there’s a surprising amount of grip. It’s hard to tell from
videos how hard that golf is being pushed
Indeed. Road profile and setup has a very big impact on how the rear end behaves in a FWD.

RWDsam said:
versedi said:

Because it is easier to see when it is about to reach a cut off value.
BTW airplanes sometimes used the same layout back in steam gauges era (so you could spot that one of gauges shows values that are out of the order).
Yeah, that trend carried on into the Group A era:

Full digital dashes have now rendered the (very cool) rotated gauges out!

JorritVD said:
I read on PSX-Sense that the disciplines are reduced (no hillclimb or trucks), and the focus is on Rally and RX. 

Phew. May it stay that way into DLC too please.

Personally, I’ll be very interested to know how the AI will work with regards to the new road order and tyre compounds. Hopefully multi-class rallies are still a thing, even though it felt like D4 AI was a step down from DR’s to me.

Pity the video of the Audi in Argentina has been taken down, that was better than all these journalist videos for advertising the game to me!

PCGames Hands-on: http://www.pcgames.de/Dirt-Rally-20-Spiel-61974/Specials/Hands-on-Vorschau-1266142/

Mentioned cars:
1995 Impreza
Nissan Datsun 240 z

toninus said:
Counter says 7 miles wich is 11 kms.
If each country has 3 or 4 tracks like this it will be great !

On Gamestar they say the DLCs will bring countries back from older episodes. If the tracks are new then it's cool, otherwise...
Not only fans should notice, however, that in the list so many prominent rally country is missing. Where are Germany, Finland, Great Britain or the traditional Rally Monte Carlo, which still existed in the first part?
A question that we asked directly to Dirt boss designer Ross Gowing. The sobering response: "In the first six months after launch, we'll be bringing some of those fan favorites back home." So, those who want to drive on these routes will have to grab their bags and buy the Season Pass or the individual enhancements.

Regarding DLC, that’s potentially great news; I’d love to see some of these back and if that’s the DLC list sorted I’d be more than happy with that.

Regarding stage length, I suspect it will be similar to DR; A couple of 10-15km stages per location. Will be a tad disappointing not to have more KMs per country, if that’s correct, but unless we hear otherwise I’d expect no more.

its nice mentioned us as the core testers. nice touch ross ;)                              

toninus said:
On Gamestar they say the DLCs will bring countries back from older episodes. If the tracks are new then it's cool, otherwise...
They guessed that, it wasnt a confirmation

dgeesi0 said:
its nice mentioned us as the core testers. nice touch ross ;)                              
In fairness, its not something we've been asked to focus on so rather than tell us and then everyone else, just tell everyone at once.

RWDsam said:
versedi said:
So... I'm a bit worried magic snap and understeer is still present after watching few gameplays.

Eg. 3:35, happens at 3:40

https://youtu.be/Z_l8pMfs1HI?t=218

You know I am the last person to defend this, but this is exactly what happens in FWD cars. Nothing to worry here, also leaked Audi footage shows AWD seems to behave really well.
User name checks out ;)

versedi said:

Because it is in real life

When will we see the other rallies in action do we think? 
Over the next 5 months...
Brilliant. Cheers :smiley:

Whilst that's obvious I was sort of hoping for more of a widespread reveal today. Greedy perhaps. 
Really want to see the terrain and style of the other events.

@ChristinaMc : Will there be a Q&A coming soon? I'd be keen to know if there's a possibility of epic length tracks in DR 2.0, like 20-30km long ones. 

Areyouben said:
The 4WD is very nice from what I've tested so far. The R5s were the best part of D4 and they're even better now
Better how? :smiley:
Maybe they can lock wheels when applying full brakes on high speed, and don't have ridiculous (mainly) lateral grip, also now they seem to take more than two seconds and 100 m to stop from 100km/h to 0km/h on all surfaces (sic! was measured by community in DR4).
Fortunately judging from gameplay it seems DR2.0 is going to be a true improvement indeed, and I am super happy about it!

Areyouben said:
The 4WD is very nice from what I've tested so far. The R5s were the best part of D4 and they're even better now
The car we have tested feels weighty but also nimble and responsive so they behave like you would expect. They travel laterally a lot better than both previous iterations and don't regain that grip so fast and snap around. More like a hovercraft in its traversal but in a good, more realistic way.

Areyouben said:
The car we have tested feels weighty but also nimble and responsive so they behave like you would expect. They travel laterally a lot better than both previous iterations and don't regain that grip so fast and snap around. More like a hovercraft in its traversal but in a good, more realistic way.

kheiro said:
Areyouben said:
Hahahahewwwwww

Last question handling wise, just to be absolutely clear. Are you able to initiate some oversteer in turn entry, point the front of the car towards the inside and use that initial positioning of the car to power trough a corner in one clean motion consistently? (instead of having to initiate oversteer two, sometimes three times in order to not understeer into a tree)

In D4 you were able to do the first half of the gif below. But at the end of this gif the rear would grip more than it should, causing only the front to slide and point the entire car towards the outside. Sometimes that would happen in real life depending on braking input and weight shifting around, but it felt like I didn't get the right result when using the ScanFlick or using the handbrake at all in D4.

Image result for rally