DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Has anyone been able to figure out if that New Zealand stage is a real one?
I've tried finding videos but most Waikato rally stages appear to be on tarmac. We need a local to go recce!

Also wondering what the in game Solberg would be. Appeared to me during the hype train that he/his story would be somehow a big feature as opposed to just technical support .but so far no clues.

carpa said:
Aaa1981 said:
Myself think the best game is dirt rally , even hardcore etc, but the physics there top . There was a hope that will continue and judging by the video this is the same slag and dirt 4 ! On YouTube posted the gameplay of the rally cross with a view from 3 persons, and then the fears were confirmed . Look at the wretched work of the suspension!!! Machine as wood , especially when landing , do not have that smoothness that was . It looks like squalor and crafts like wrc. Disappointed to say the least ...

I still think people should try the game before we form any verdict. Seeing the car react is one thing, feeling it is another. And I think most of us here agree that DiRT 4 rallycross was a step forward compared to DiRT Rally
Unfortunately, even the video shows you view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqVhuWkwZTg&t=166s suspension the car is not realistic ! Even on small bumps the car shakes like a cheap arcade game ! One thing I do not understand why it was necessary to change physics !!! She was the best in the first part ! I played in the dirt rally 1000 hours, and the difference can be seen in the video . We are waiting for an arcade like dirt 4 ...

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:
Anyone else taking part in Rally G.B? I already have to put one big rock in the road for @RallyDriven delaying the release of DR 2.0. just seeing if I have to get any more ?
I'm planning to be on Myherin all day Saturday. Will be driving up to Wales on Friday morning and hoping to get a few hours sleep in the car Friday night! 
I really wanted to do myherin but I won't get there on time as I'm driving up Saturday morning. May just pop across for the second run if it's viable
My original plan was to do more than one stage in the day, but I have been advised against it, so I am just going to stay there for the day. 

Myherin doesn't finish too late, so if I am awake enough I might head up to Gartheiniog for the last run there: given it's in the opposite direction to home though I may not bother, as I think it will be about 6 hours from Myherin! 
That's where I'll be. It's a great stage. Your more than welcome to bring a rock for @RallyDriven
If we go out because of a rock on the stage you will be going out due to a fist to the face!

If you’re driving up Saturday, I’d advise getting there as early as possible! Last year I got there three hours before the first car was due and I was one of the last people allowed into the car park as it was full. Everyone else had to walk almost two hours to get to the stage!

Aaa1981 said:
carpa said:
Aaa1981 said:
Myself think the best game is dirt rally , even hardcore etc, but the physics there top . There was a hope that will continue and judging by the video this is the same slag and dirt 4 ! On YouTube posted the gameplay of the rally cross with a view from 3 persons, and then the fears were confirmed . Look at the wretched work of the suspension!!! Machine as wood , especially when landing , do not have that smoothness that was . It looks like squalor and crafts like wrc. Disappointed to say the least ...

I still think people should try the game before we form any verdict. Seeing the car react is one thing, feeling it is another. And I think most of us here agree that DiRT 4 rallycross was a step forward compared to DiRT Rally
Unfortunately, even the video shows you view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqVhuWkwZTg&t=166s suspension the car is not realistic !

Have to say that I agree. At 1:00 before the car goes from gravel to tarmac it looks like the car has no dampers at all. Also the car needs A LOT more body roll especially on tarmac. In real life footage the Polo has so much body roll (reminds me of Petter's old DS3) it looks like the rear bumper etc. are almost scratching the road.

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:
Anyone else taking part in Rally G.B? I already have to put one big rock in the road for @RallyDriven delaying the release of DR 2.0. just seeing if I have to get any more ?
I'm planning to be on Myherin all day Saturday. Will be driving up to Wales on Friday morning and hoping to get a few hours sleep in the car Friday night! 
I really wanted to do myherin but I won't get there on time as I'm driving up Saturday morning. May just pop across for the second run if it's viable
My original plan was to do more than one stage in the day, but I have been advised against it, so I am just going to stay there for the day. 

Myherin doesn't finish too late, so if I am awake enough I might head up to Gartheiniog for the last run there: given it's in the opposite direction to home though I may not bother, as I think it will be about 6 hours from Myherin! 
That's where I'll be. It's a great stage. Your more than welcome to bring a rock for @RallyDriven
If we go out because of a rock on the stage you will be going out due to a fist to the face!

If you’re driving up Saturday, I’d advise getting there as early as possible! Last year I got there three hours before the first car was due and I was one of the last people allowed into the car park as it was full. Everyone else had to walk almost two hours to get to the stage!
Yea first run through is 11:02. I should be there by 08:40 all being well. I'm very familiar with the troubles of parking at GB though I haven't been since 2004! I used to go every year. I'm hoping most people will be drawn to sweet lamb/ myherin and Dyfi but we will see . Hopefully I strike it lucky!

Aaa1981 said:

The entire "gravity" setting in Dirt Rally was way off. Granted it gave us some really nice oversteering capability, but on bumpy rally and rallycross roads, if you keep "going light" and losing control of the car over every small bump, its very difficult to enjoy the game.

So even though Dirt 4 was a mixed bag, I really couldn't go back to the other worldly gravity of Dirt Rally. Dirt Rally had a LOT to improve in the physics, and I think most of it is being addressed in the footage we are seeing so far of 2.0 

Aaa1981 said:

The entire "gravity" setting in Dirt Rally was way off. Granted it gave us some really nice oversteering capability, but on bumpy rally and rallycross roads, if you keep "going light" and losing control of the car over every small bump, its very difficult to enjoy the game.

So even though Dirt 4 was a mixed bag, I really couldn't go back the other worldly gravity of Dirt Rally. Dirt Rally had a LOT to improve in the physics, and I think most of it is being addressed in the footage we are seeing so far of 2.0 
Yup, we shall not put "Dirt Rally" and "realistic physics" in one sentence (same with D4 for that matter). I won't comment on RX too much because I am not interested in it too much, but I agree that whole bloom, light ray effect on exhaust, sparkles upon collision and camera shake are way too cheesy for my taste- but maybe it goes along RX's overall feeling- I have no idea what actual events are presented like. As for body roll- I hate this argument myself, but it might actually be due to tight suspension settings.

I am watching gameplays a lot, and the first indicator of physics improvement on rally site is the start of a stage. In old days cars just jumped off the line, there was no tyre_spinning_and_fighting_for_a_grip when pressing that throttle on the 1st gear, now it is well present. Cars roll into corners properly. The only weird moments are visible when VW collides with rocks on the side, but that is a separate thing to a critically important bottom surface physics.

Another cool touch would be an audible breath from Phil in between calls, pilots and drivers alike usually work with high hart BPM, so they breath heavily and you can often hear it on onboards.

Did we get any words on mod support so far?
EDIT: Also how do skidmarks on worn surface work exactly? Do they follow previous driver? Are they random? Do they follow a proper driveline? Just curious.

Aaa1981 said:

So even though Dirt 4 was a mixed bag, I really couldn't go back the other worldly gravity of Dirt Rally. Dirt Rally had a LOT to improve in the physics, and I think most of it is being addressed in the footage we are seeing so far of 2.0 
I think somewhere between the 2 would be ideal. I personally preferred the 'feel' of dirt rally (using controller) but I enjoyed the changes of physics under braking in D4. And I really enjoyed the rallycross handling in D4 even if it was a bit 'drifty'

SamRWD said:
Aaa1981 said:

Another cool touch would be an audible breath from Phil in between calls, pilots and drivers alike usually work with high hart BPM, so they breath heavily and you can often hear it on onboards.
Awesome idea, in warmer rallies more than in colder ones lol

SamRWD said:
Aaa1981 said:

Wait, actually wasn't it Peter and Phil who were driving some hot rally with heat blower on? I am not sure if it was a malfunction, or they used it to cool engine, or something? Will look it up later!

SamRWD said:
SamRWD said:
Aaa1981 said:

Wait, actually wasn't it Peter and Phil who were driving some hot rally with heat blower on? I am not sure if it was a malfunction, or they used it to cool engine, or something? Will look it up later!
It is used to cool the engine!!

Has anyone been able to figure out if that New Zealand stage is a real one?
If it's the Waikato region then it's based in Raglan - the area used for Day 1 of the 2012 WRC (in green: https://www.rally-maps.com/Rally-New-Zealand-2012), including the Whaanga Coast and/or Te Akau stages.

To me it looks like the end of the stage is based off this part of the Whaanga Coast stage (used for stages 2 & 6)
https://youtu.be/t_zeGwlIWmo?t=8m50s 
https://youtu.be/AT51gc79D24?t=10m36s

Jepsertti said:
Aaa1981 said:
carpa said:
Aaa1981 said:

Unfortunately, even the video shows you view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqVhuWkwZTg&t=166s suspension the car is not realistic !

Have to say that I agree. At 1:00 before the car goes from gravel to tarmac it looks like the car has no dampers at all. Also the car needs A LOT more body roll especially on tarmac. In real life footage the Polo has so much body roll (reminds me of Petter's old DS3) it looks like the rear bumper etc. are almost scratching the road.
I am not going to comment on the game physics but the real life PSRXVW Polo has NOWHERE near as much body roll as Petter's DS3.

The second PSRX DS3 (and to a lesser extent Liam Doran's DS3) are the only cars that have been anywhere near as soft. 

I am heading majorly off topic but, from the times I have watched the car, the PSRXVW Polo has a very sharp turn in, it almost seems to "snap" straight on corner exit. I do wonder if it's a consequence of all the weight being up front. 

Am I the only one who prefers the way trees were rendered in Dirt Rally than in Dirt 4 / DR2.0 ?
In DR1 the lighting was softer on the leaves. In D4 / DR2.0, its kinda sharper and make the leaves look weird especially from some distance...
Except maybe for dark trees like pines or with large leaves like palm trees...

All the factory Supercars (208, Polo, S1) are all much stiffer than the privateer cars. And agree, the PSRXVW Polo is like a stiff sportscar, compared to the DS3. In the past the Supercars were more drifting cars, while nowadays the cars are stiffer and a bit more understeery. At Loheac Ekstrom needed to pull with two hands to keep the S1 through the fast turns. 

toninus said:
Am I the only one who prefers the way trees were rendered in Dirt Rally than in Dirt 4 / DR2.0 ?
In DR1 the lighting was softer on the leaves. In D4 / DR2.0, its kinda sharper and make the leaves look weird especially from some distance...
Except maybe for dark trees like pines or with large leaves like palm trees...
I would say that I agree. I actually prefer the slightly washed out look Dirt Rally had, and it had a bit softer look to it as you say. D4 and this seems to have a much more vivid color palette.

tbtstt said:
Jepsertti said:
Aaa1981 said:
carpa said:
Aaa1981 said:

I am not going to comment on the game physics but the real life PSRXVW Polo has NOWHERE near as much body roll as Petter's DS3.

The second PSRX DS3 (and to a lesser extent Liam Doran's DS3) are the only cars that have been anywhere near as soft. 

I am heading majorly off topic but, from the times I have watched the car, the PSRXVW Polo has a very sharp turn in, it almost seems to "snap" straight on corner exit. I do wonder if it's a consequence of all the weight being up front. 
Petters DS3 was a real mystery. Didn't some of the engineers just scratch their heads while saying 'he shouldn't be able to drive that car'? 

Flipping heck Codies. After watching some of these journalists bounce cars off everything in sight in chase view, I found the 'leaked' clip of the Audi in Argentina again, and boy does it show the game in a better light! You should be linking that clip everywhere.

JorritVD said:
All the factory Supercars (208, Polo, S1) are all much stiffer than the privateer cars. And agree, the PSRXVW Polo is like a stiff sportscar, compared to the DS3. In the past the Supercars were more drifting cars, while nowadays the cars are stiffer and a bit more understeery. At Loheac Ekstrom needed to pull with two hands to keep the S1 through the fast turns. 

Those pictures look familiar... :smiley:

The top picture is the second built DS3 before they altered the rear suspension setup. I am not 100% sure what they did, but the whole car sat lower in the 2015 season (most notably at the rear), it still had as much suspension travel as before though, so you would often see the rear bumper and side sills clip the ground when the car cornered hard. 
tbtstt said:
Jepsertti said:
Aaa1981 said:
carpa said:
Aaa1981 said:

Petters DS3 was a real mystery. Didn't some of the engineers just scratch their heads while saying 'he shouldn't be able to drive that car'? 
Yeah. There was a story doing the rounds that the Hansen team actually copied Petters setup for a test: they found the car undriveable!

Both the PSRX DS3's were setup identically when he ran a two car team which caused some issues. 

Oliver Solberg has been running the Championship winning DS3 in RallyX Nordic this year: he drives it just like his Dad! 

Areyouben said:
Last question handling wise, just to be absolutely clear. Are you able to initiate some oversteer in turn entry, point the front of the car towards the inside and use that initial positioning of the car to power trough a corner in one clean motion consistently? (instead of having to initiate oversteer two, sometimes three times in order to not understeer into a tree)

In D4 you were able to do the first half of the gif below. But at the end of this gif the rear would grip more than it should, causing only the front to slide and point the entire car towards the outside. Sometimes that would happen in real life depending on braking input and weight shifting around, but it felt like I didn't get the right result when using the ScanFlick or using the handbrake at all in D4.

Image result for rally
In short, yup, was doing this last night in the '95 Subie.

Areyouben said:
Last question handling wise, just to be absolutely clear. Are you able to initiate some oversteer in turn entry, point the front of the car towards the inside and use that initial positioning of the car to power trough a corner in one clean motion consistently? (instead of having to initiate oversteer two, sometimes three times in order to not understeer into a tree)

In D4 you were able to do the first half of the gif below. But at the end of this gif the rear would grip more than it should, causing only the front to slide and point the entire car towards the outside. Sometimes that would happen in real life depending on braking input and weight shifting around, but it felt like I didn't get the right result when using the ScanFlick or using the handbrake at all in D4.

Image result for rally
Sorry, iv been really busy today and only getting to reading now!

My preference of car type is RWD.  That driving style tends to carry over for me to AWD.

When testing AWD over the past while, I have been having a right laugh.  You can set an AWD up for a corner 20 meters before it with a big flick.  By the apex, you can be on opposite lock and looking through your windscreen fully at the trees on the inside of the corner and arc nicely out into a four wheel drift on corner exit.  

It doesn’t feel like chucking the game car in an attempt to replicate what a four wheel drift looks like.  You do actually feel in control and feel like you drive the slide.

Pre-DiRT 4, I posted the famous incar of McRae going through a Welsh stage lock to lock in the Focus and said ‘if the physics aren’t like this, start again’ - it seems they did this time!!

B) 

I was about to post pretty much what Kev said, I actually replayed a corner multiple times to try and re-create that slide and yes the physics are very close and behave like that. There was one particular corner where I saw the car laterally sliding so nicely and naturally and then squat down realistically under braking to bring the back round with some power and I knew at that point that it was a huge improvement.

There is still 5 months to go until release, all the groundwork has been made and now its tweaking time so I have every faith that everything will be spot on or pretty damn close by the time of release.

All sounds very promising. I am particularly pleased to see mention of the '95 Impreza as it is the 4WD car that I really didn't think felt right in D4. 

tbtstt said:
Jepsertti said:
Aaa1981 said:
carpa said:
Aaa1981 said:

Alright maybe I was exaggerating a bit when I said the Polo is kind of like Solberg's DS3. I still think that the latest 2018 spec Polo has quite a lot of body roll especially when going on the brakes as seen here at 2:42:

https://youtu.be/dY5xc3fGYXY

I also want to clarify to everyone that I'm just trying to give constructive feedback because for me that DR2.0 RX video looked like the car has no suspension travel at all.