DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

The DiRTy Devs are pretty quiet these days so they must be hard at word, readying the FFB patch for a roll out.

Or, they're catching up on E3 news... ;] 

Perhaps some of you wander over to the dark side of the forum, F1 side that is, and have noticed how little official info/footage was released for F1 2015. I think press embargo on F1 2015 is lifted later today so we could perhaps see Codies' next-gen engine in action.

Maybe some of the visuals trickery and solutions will one make it over to the DiRTy side. Then again the more I play DiRT Rally the more I like the graphics and lighting. The mood in environments (washed out and piercing sun in Greece, frosty air in Monaco and moody Wales) is so varied and there's plenty of detail to admire.

Lately I've also been playing in cockpit view and the interiors are fantastic. SLRE will look different to DiRT Rally, maybe a bit more crisp but it will have nowhere near as much of attention to environment detail. They'll have some texture water puddles, but I'll doubt they would be physical - they'll just look like water.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that after spending quite a few hours with DiRT Rally over the weekend (I was testing something...) I've fallen in love again :)

The DiRTy Devs are pretty quiet these days so they must be hard at word, readying the FFB patch for a roll out.

Perhaps some of you wander over to the dark side of the forum, F1 side that is, and have noticed how little official info/footage was released for F1 2015. I think press embargo on F1 2015 is lifted later today so we could perhaps see Codies' next-gen engine in action.

Maybe some of the visuals trickery and solutions will one make it over to the DiRTy side. Then again the more I play DiRT Rally the more I like the graphics and lighting. The mood in environments (washed out and piercing sun in Greece, frosty air in Monaco and moody Wales) is so varied and there's plenty of detail to admire.

Lately I've also been playing in cockpit view and the interiors are fantastic. SLRE will look different to DiRT Rally, maybe a bit more crisp but it will have nowhere near as much of attention to environment detail. They'll have some texture water puddles, but I'll doubt they would be physical - they'll just look like water.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say after spending quite a few hours with DiRT Rally over the weekend (I was testing something...) I've fallen in love again :)

I really can't use cockpit view, the lack of matching steering wheel animation kills the immersion for me. Dashcam works better for me. In the future I hope we can remove wheel/hands and move the cam fwd/back/left/right.

The waiting for the FFB patch is really killing me.  I'm so eager! :)

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that after spending quite a few hours with DiRT Rally over the weekend (I was testing something...) I've fallen in love again :)
Yes would be good to see the engine in action on next gen :)

I know what u did there ;-) xD

SLRE to have 60 cars in game, Citroen Xsara revealed: http://sebastienloebrallyevo.com/released-the-third-screen-batch/

Well, that's quite a lot of cars, I wonder if Dirt Rally will have a similar number...

TPJP said:
SLRE to have 60 cars in game, Citroen Xsara revealed: http://sebastienloebrallyevo.com/released-the-third-screen-batch/

Well, that's quite a lot of cars, I wonder if Dirt Rally will have a similar number...
Quality over quantity.

I don't have much faith in SLRE to be brutally honest.

You have to step up your game codemasters. Loeb evo is leading with one Citröen xsara while Dirt rally still has zero Citröen xsaras. 

Maybe it'll get a Xsara eventually, I hope so xD (Milestone's model appears to have some odd proportions to it anyway)
However about the 60 cars, if they handle all the same than it's better having quality over quantity.

TPJP said:
Maybe it'll get a Xsara eventually, I hope so xD (Milestone's model appears to have some odd proportions to it anyway)
However about the 60 cars, if they handle all the same than it's better having quality over quantity.
Actually you're right about the proportions.. When really looking at it, it looks like it should be lower and wider. Compare these:

SLRE:
http://sebastienloebrallyevo.com/wp-content/uploads/SLRE_Citroen_Xsara_2003_01.jpg

Real:
http://bestcars.uol.com.br/carros/walpaper3/Citroen_Xsara_WRC_2004_Loeb_1024.jpg

Or maybe we're just blind haha :wink: 

Jepsertti said:
TPJP said:
Actually you're right about the proportions.. When really looking at it, it looks like it should be lower and wider. Compare these:

SLRE:
http://sebastienloebrallyevo.com/wp-content/uploads/SLRE_Citroen_Xsara_2003_01.jpg

Real:
http://bestcars.uol.com.br/carros/walpaper3/Citroen_Xsara_WRC_2004_Loeb_1024.jpg

Or maybe we're just blind haha :wink: 
The front bumper and hood grills are larger than in real life, along with other details like side panels. Also the back looks more squared in the game, in real life looks more rounded, photo: http://robson.m3rlin.org/cars/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/citroen-xsara-wrc-rally-montecarlo-2006-1.jpg, game: http://sebastienloebrallyevo.com/wp-content/uploads/SLRE_Citroen_Xsara_2003_02.jpg

In their previous WRC games some cars have wierd proportions, biggest ofenders for example are the DS3 R3T (http://www.nogripracing.com/files/screens/2013/11/full/108923.jpg, front looks different) and 207 S2000 (http://efemer.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/WRC4-2014-01-25-11-03-42-94.jpg). CM make way, way better car models.

Pretty sure we are seeing it right :)

Codemasters has done a great job making each car feel totally different and uniqe. Def quality over quantity :)

I think that at the end of the year Dirt Rally will have a similar number of cars as SLRE.

macebig said:
I think that at the end of the year Dirt Rally will have a similar number of cars as SLRE.
Just like the guys above my preference is definitely with quality. 

All that chat with games like GT or Forza having +500 cars was always getting on my nerves, as driving some tiny Japanese city car or 10 different Skylines is not that fun... Polyphony had more cash than brains at times..

During my visit at Codies the guys did give us an idea of what to expect: iconic selection of cars with their characters authentically captured. So far the devs have showed with DiRT Rally that they have listened and with cars it won't be any different.

I also got an idea how much work car handling designers do to make each car feel different, while being balanced with others in its category. It's no fluke that the cars in DiRT Rally are so distinctive. With much improved car handling just getting the parameters into the game goes a long way to make the car realistic, but there's always plenty of tinkering to fine tune it.

Will SLRE handling physics allow them to make cars feel and behave differently or will the have to 'fudge' the numbers? I guess we'll find out later this year, but by then DiRT Rally will have lots added to it and improved. 

I guess console-only players are hoping that SLRE turns out well. I hope it does and it sells as that would give one more reason to bring DiRTy stuff to PS4 and XB1

austinb said:
Force Feedback Update is here!! https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4718
So so great news... And when is it arrives? Tomorrow? At the end of the month with Tarmac Terrors Update too?
Fiat Abarth 1080º degrees? What we have to do with a wheel that has only 900º degrees?
Many questions thown to the air... 

MBColin said:
austinb said:
Force Feedback Update is here!! https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4718
So so great news... And when is it arrives? Tomorrow? At the end of the month with Tarmac Terrors Update too?
Fiat Abarth 1080º degrees? What we have to do with a wheel that has only 900º degrees?
Many questions thown to the air... 
Watch Bettalines video and I think you'll have the awnser.

I don't see it yet, emotion of the new blind me... Let's may I take a look to the video...
Thanks!

I have zero faith in SLRE, it's made by Milestone.  I played their WRC 2-4 games and they are horrid.  Terrible stages with no character and a hairpin every 3 seconds, wide/short stages, generic/arcadey as hell car handling, terrible wheel/pedal support/ffb, ugly graphics, and abysmal sound.  They had 4 takes with the WRC license and failed miserably everytime.  From what I've seen of the "gameplay" videos it looks almost identical to past WRC titles.  Says "work in progress, physics not implemented"  LOL, they did the same shit with the WRC games and then it looked, sounded and played just like the horrible trailers showcased a couple months prior.  Physics not implemented, a couple months till release.  Lelzzz

Anyways, this is a thread about DiRT Rally, a game/sim that has brought me back to sim racing after a 2 year break  and totally changed my view on Codemasters.  CM are heading in the absolute right direction with DR and I couldn't be happier about that, I have dreamed of a new rally sim like this for a long, long time.  Screw Milestone who has done nothing but F us over time and time again, and WRC 5 made by a bunch of hacks that haven't produced anything other than 3$ bargain bin crapfest titles.

I'm 100% behind DiRT Rally.  They are listening to the community and making changes based on the consumer base feedback, which is fantastic.  Bring on the FFB overhaul, new stages/content!  Release the krakken!!!

@griev0r  
I think compared to DR all other Rally games will need to put 
"work in progress, physics not implemented" on their box, or just use that in the tag line.  
:smile: 

I hope the others the best, variety is nice and sometimes 
innovative, but I don't think it will come from these guys.  

Now here is some gossip worthy news!

http://www.virtualr.net/porsche-breaking-free-least

EA's exclusive Porsche license will expire in 2016.  Could it be possible that we could see a Porsche DLC pack for DiRT Rally next year sometime.  I can just imagine a 959 in some sort of desert event or a new GT3 (Tuttel Racing version) possibly in the upcoming Germany event.

Well I can dream can't I :smile:   

The only thing that I liked from WRC franchise (Milestone) was the carrer mode from 3/4. Starting in the Junior championship and getting contracts from WRC 3 then 2 then top teams was really good. If CM do something like the idea from @ThierryNeuville I would be really pleased!