DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

This is pretty unrelated, but apparently Dakar 18 has been getting almost daily updates including updates to add in wheel support.
I'm just wondering why people aren't screaming about #NoVRNoBuy. Seems like a prime candidate. ;)
Wish those guys well though and hope they make it an actual series. Would be cool to have some more diversity.

kheiro said:
Didzis said:
kheiro said:

Watching the Quattro in Argentina was more reassuring.
https://www.facebook.com/dirtgame/videos/237179056959585/
That was still the Golf

19:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=54&v=w6NXyxQmMQ0
26:50

9 Minutes of gameplay: Argentina with Group B Audi, New Zealand with VW Golf and some Rally cross.
Dudes who uploaded the footage also wrote an article with interviews of Codies staff:
https://www.gamebyte.com/dirt-rally-2-0-designed-with-experts-in-mind-preview-and-interview/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_l8pMfs1HI

Interview with Ross Gowing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHeJsUNB3A

Body is 14 characters too short.

Full New Zealand stage in the VW Golf driven by John Armstrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmnE7CXK2g

JZStudios said:
This is pretty unrelated, but apparently Dakar 18 has been getting almost daily updates including updates to add in wheel support.
I'm just wondering why people aren't screaming about #NoVRNoBuy. Seems like a prime candidate. ;)
Wish those guys well though and hope they make it an actual series. Would be cool to have some more diversity.
because unlike Dirt rally it wasnt classed or isnt classed as one of the BEST VR GAMES ! its easy to kick or say shut up to VR people but if the previous game is so good at VR then it doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand why people who like VR want it in Dirt rally. i stayed out of the whole VR debate but in reality i think it would be a mistake NOT to add it to Dirt Rally 2.0 . im guessing honestly it is just done to money and deadlines. what id be looking at is the sales pitch long term also the brand. if you make a great driving game thats up there people will buy for that or celebrate it for that and every other addition which makes your brand better makes it a easier to buy product. also when others are doing so but you dont it can make you look like your not giving it your all. you make games like Dirt rally by giving everything ! if you dont you get games like Dirt 4.

ideally make it clear if you doing VR . i dont get why this wasnt clarified ? YES/NO VR . then all the debates wouldnt start.everyone knows where they stand. possibly pre orders are the reason. as it may effect it but...what about the negativitiy that builds social media wise while the anwer isnt given ?

what should of been a totally about the how good the game is discussion has kinda turned into a VR question time. id get this out the way as clearly as soon as possible so people can concentrate on how good the game is going to be.

dgeesi0 said:
JZStudios said:
because unlike Dirt rally it wasnt classed or isnt classed as one of the BEST VR GAMES ! its easy to kick or say shut up to VR people but if the previous game is so good at VR then it doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand why people who like VR want it in Dirt rally. i stayed out of the whole VR debate but in reality i think it would be a mistake NOT to add it to Dirt Rally 2.0 . im guessing honestly it is just done to money and deadlines. what id be looking at is the sales pitch long term also the brand. if you make a great driving game thats up there people will buy for that or celebrate it for that and every other addition which makes your brand better makes it a easier to buy product. also when others are doing so but you dont it can make you look like your not giving it your all. you make games like Dirt rally by giving everything ! if you dont you get games like Dirt 4.

ideally make it clear if you doing VR . i dont get why this wasnt clarified ? YES/NO VR . then all the debates wouldnt start.everyone knows where they stand. possibly pre orders are the reason. as it may effect it but...what about the negativitiy that builds social media wise while the anwer isnt given ?

what should of been a totally about the how good the game is discussion has kinda turned into a VR question time. id get this out the way as clearly as soon as possible so people can concentrate on how good the game is going to be.
Unfortunately the internet loves to complain about everything and anything and generally without logic, reason or knowledge. If VR was as easy and as cheap to implement as some people seem to think, then they would have done it.

They have mentioned no VR at this time though right? I can't remember where I read/heard it.

JZStudios said:
Bigmoon has stated in Facebook and Reddit that they are working on VR. If it's ready in time it will be added to Dakar 18. If not, they want to include it in 19. Also on the way for free is a Road Book Android app, unseen 12,000km² of Argentina for free roam, and new teams and drivers.

Got the day one patch yesterday on PS4. Physics much improved but not anywhere near DiRT / SLRE / WRC 7 level. I would say it's around BAJA level which is fine for me given everything else that the game is doing.

Driving with a wheel is fun but there is no FFB (only resistance) and there is an enormous dead zone, at least on my G29  

dgeesi0 said:
JZStudios said:

Unfortunately the internet loves to complain about everything and anything and generally without logic, reason or knowledge. If VR was as easy and as cheap to implement as some people seem to think, then they would have done it.

They have mentioned no VR at this time though right? I can't remember where I read/heard it.
It was mentioned at the beginning of the DiRT Show, that they are 'gonna look into it if there is enough demand'.
I'm a huge fan of the series and have been for years, but I totally agree with dgeesi0 on how they are handling this.
Back when DiRT Rally came out, it was mentioned during early access (if i recall correctly) that the Oculus would be getting supported. So as soon as it was possible, I pre-ordered the Rift, and after waiting a couple of months, there it was, the best VR (racing) experience to date. So when they announced a new F1 game, I thought, well that's gonna be a lot of fun in VR as well, but no, even 2 editions later there still is no support.
So when DiRT 4 came out I was not sure what to expect. On the one hand the previous iteration in the series was being praised for it's VR implementation, but on the other hand any (serious) racing games released (by Codemasters) after it didn't get VR support added to it.
So right after the announcement there were questions on social media etc, just like there are now, and it was said they would look at the demand and implement VR post launch if there was enough demand. But right after the game was released it felt like there was barely any support at all, and it became clear immediately VR wouldn't be making a return this time around.
Now with DiRT Rally 2.0 we have been promised (at least) 6 months of support/dlc/season pass, with possible more if 'there is enough demand', which sounds promising, but how much I love the team and appreciate the hard work they are and have been doing, I can't help but feel sceptical about the statements that have been made regarding VR support.
Having played DiRT Rally for over 400 hours (the last 200 hours of which have been in VR) and having played only 40 hours of DiRT 4 (most of which during the launch weekend) I feel like I would have rather paid another €50 for a VR DLC for DiRT 4 so I would have at least played it a decent amount of time.
I understand it's to late for DiRT 4, but if it's about the money, I will wait for a VR DLC and gladly pay for VR support as I understand it costs a lot of development time and it is only serving a section of the userbase.

I genuinely think the team are cautious after DiRT 4.  They’ll see how well the customers support them with 2.0 and plan a future strategy based on demand.  Why invest time and resources into something that isn’t making profit targets.  That’s what it’s all about after all.

If you want to see the game get VR support, support the game.  By bad-mouthing it all over the Internet, you are effectively damaging your chances of ever having the very thing that you want!

Wish the guys well and be patient.  Some day, all your dreams will come true!  B)

KevM said:
I genuinely think the team are cautious after DiRT 4.  They’ll see how well the customers support them with 2.0 and plan a future strategy based on demand.  Why invest time and resources into something that isn’t making profit targets.  That’s what it’s all about after all.

If you want to see the game get VR support, support the game.  By bad-mouthing it all over the Internet, you are effectively damaging your chances of ever having the very thing that you want!

Wish the guys well and be patient.  Some day, all your dreams will come true!  B)

Exactly this. Any possible VR/support plans they might have had with D4 was probably quickly flushed as the community showed a growing dislike for that game although press reviews were pretty good. I can't blame them, D4 felt like a rushed project that in the end had a hard time pleasing the hardcore players as well a the ones that enjoys a more arcade/fun/party type Dirt 1/2/3 type of game. It sat there in the middle somewhere and didn't really know which leg to stand on.

With DR2.0 they already have a support plan which shows they have backing from upstairs, with the option to further that support plan if the game is received well.

bogani said:
KevM said:

Exactly this. Any possible VR/support plans they might have had with D4 was probably quickly flushed as the community showed a growing dislike for that game although press reviews were pretty good. I can't blame them, D4 felt like a rushed project that in the end had a hard time pleasing the hardcore players as well a the ones that enjoys a more arcade/fun/party type Dirt 1/2/3 type of game. It sat there in the middle somewhere and didn't really know which leg to stand on.

With DR2.0 they already have a support plan which shows they have backing from upstairs, with the option to further that support plan if the game is received well.

Yup, I hope I didn't come of to negative because that's not wat I was going for.
Other than the whole VR talk the reactions have been positive (and the handling feels like a huge improvement as well) so I'm expecting DiRT Rally 2.0 to be a huge success, and yes because of the support plan that has been layed out already I'm hopeful VR support will fit in there somewhere.

KevM said:

Wish the guys well and be patient.  Some day, all your dreams will come true!  B
well, define what you mean with support. i personally never said that i dont want this game to succeed. i support its development. but i wont buy it until it offers the stuff it needs before i can enjoy it. for some of us vr is as important as wheel support. you have to see it like this. would you buy the game if it had only keyboard support without knowing if it would ever get wheel/gamepad support? thats how important vr is for me personally. i simply cant enjoy any racing sim without vr support anymore so it doesnt make sense to spend money on it. why would i buy something i simply woudlnt even be playing a single minute? every single minute i would spend with dr2 on a screen i could spend in any other sim of choice with vr and have a way more enjoyable time. you wouldnt drive dr2 with a keyboard when you had the choice of dr1, dirt4, iracing rallycross, rbr or whatever with proper wheelsupport and ffb right? thats how important it is for me.

saying that we dont buy it without vr is not badmouthing. its just giving our opinion.

Some gameplay footage i haven't seen yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9KjU-L06mQ

The service area looks good, but more fits to rally, but not to RX imo. 

Edit: it is the DiRT Show footage

JZStudios said:
Bigmoon has stated in Facebook and Reddit that they are working on VR. If it's ready in time it will be added to Dakar 18. If not, they want to include it in 19. Also on the way for free is a Road Book Android app, unseen 12,000km² of Argentina for free roam, and new teams and drivers.

Got the day one patch yesterday on PS4. Physics much improved but not anywhere near DiRT / SLRE / WRC 7 level. I would say it's around BAJA level which is fine for me given everything else that the game is doing.

Driving with a wheel is fun but there is no FFB (only resistance) and there is an enormous dead zone, at least on my G29  
I've not got the game (yet) but stages like this look great (real-time cloud shadows are nice but not sure weather runs that fast or not in-game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ugP8WXrUzk

I'd be a bit worried about Dakar 19 though, it's only going to run in one country now (Peru), hopefully that's varied enough.

MTOJay said:

KevM said:

Wish the guys well and be patient.  Some day, all your dreams will come true!  B
well, define what you mean with support. i personally never said that i dont want this game to succeed. i support its development. but i wont buy it until it offers the stuff it needs before i can enjoy it. for some of us vr is as important as wheel support. you have to see it like this. would you buy the game if it had only keyboard support without knowing if it would ever get wheel/gamepad support? thats how important vr is for me personally. i simply cant enjoy any racing sim without vr support anymore so it doesnt make sense to spend money on it. why would i buy something i simply woudlnt even be playing a single minute? every single minute i would spend with dr2 on a screen i could spend in any other sim of choice with vr and have a way more enjoyable time. you wouldnt drive dr2 with a keyboard when you had the choice of dr1, dirt4, iracing rallycross, rbr or whatever with proper wheelsupport and ffb right? thats how important it is for me.

saying that we dont buy it without vr is not badmouthing. its just giving our opinion.

I wouldn’t buy a 4-cylinder Porsche.  I believe the car should still have a 6 cylinder engine like the last ones have had.  

I wont buy Breakaway bars from they changed the recipe last year.  I believe the Breakaway should still taste like it used to.

I don’t waste time complaining all over the Internet that things should be different for me to buy things I used to like.  Iv never posted a complaint to Porsche, or McVities or wherever, I just stay well clear of the keyboard and don’t buy what I don’t want.  It’s that easy.

if things change, I’m here waiting.  Cash in hand...

Flipping heck Codies. After watching some of these journalists bounce cars off everything in sight in chase view, I found the 'leaked' clip of the Audi in Argentina again, and boy does it show the game in a better light! You should be linking that clip everywhere.
I have to agree. Aside from framerate issues it was a much better representation of improved AWD driving model. I hope team will take notes for future DiRT Show and will show more AWD and RWD footage.
FWD looks more or less similar to D4, so people might assume S "Oh, it's just D4.5". /S

KevM said:
MTOJay said:

KevM said:

I wouldn’t buy a 4-cylinder Porsche.  I believe the car should still have a 6 cylinder engine like the last ones have had.  

I wont buy Breakaway bars from they changed the recipe last year.  I believe the Breakaway should still taste like it used to.

I don’t waste time complaining all over the Internet that things should be different for me to buy things I used to like.  Iv never posted a complaint to Porsche, or McVities or wherever, I just stay well clear of the keyboard and don’t buy what I don’t want.  It’s that easy.

"porsche releases the only 4wd car for the next 5 years, their last porsche 4wd had a configuration with 300ps, now they only offer one with 100ps. they tell you though that they consider releasing a 300ps configuration again if the customers want it."

so even if porsche tells you there is a chance that you get your 300ps porsche again your really really like if you ask them you wouldnt do that? 

codemasters told us to tell them what features we want, they specificaly said to voice our opinion if we want vr or not. why are you people not understandign that we simply do what they asked us to do!?

https://www.teamvvv.com/news/bigben-acquires-entire-share-capital-of-kylotonn/

JorritVD said:

Watched it during the DiRT Show yesterday, but would happily watch it again: very clean driving there! 

Canada is one of my least favourite tracks on the World RX calendar, but I am looking forward to trying it in game as it looks very unforgiving: there is concrete everywhere!

tbtstt said:
JorritVD said:

Watched it during the DiRT Show yesterday, but would happily watch it again: very clean driving there! 

Canada is one of my least favourite tracks on the World RX calendar, but I am looking forward to trying it in game as it looks very unforgiving: there is concrete everywhere!
That looks a lot better than the first video that came out!

A new Roadbook has been released: https://www.dirt4game.com/news/46339
tbtstt said:
Another Monster video to knock two minutes off the waiting time for DiRT 4...

While on the topic of knocking off waiting time, I've been playing more DiRT Rally again recently, and am trying to complete my achievements before DiRT 4 is released. Now I was wondering if some of you would be up for a couple of online rallycross races, to achieve the #HappyStreet achievement (play in a full lobby where everyone is your friend). I'm playing on Steam, you can find/add me using the links in my signature.

Same as last time, but now for the DiRT 4 Pro Tour, anyone wanna get together and play some multiplayer Pro Tour?

I've made a topic as to not distract the gossip thread:
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/140871/dirt-4-pro-tour-steam-lets-play/p1

MTOJay said:

KevM said:

You've already made that argument, and we've already said we don't mind playing it without a wheel.
Let's take a look at Dakar, the wheel support is pretty bad, and they've had 2 patches in the last week, and it's still terrible, but people will still play it with a controller. I also have a pretty good feeling that much like every CM title it doesn't really support multi-monitor.

How is saying "We're not buying this." supportive?
KevM said:
MTOJay said:

KevM said:

... Kev, I have a serious question that I think needs discussing.
What's a Breakaway bar? Is it like @urgaffels quexchexlax?