DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Anyone recognise the car in the Stephane Prevot 'reveal' video?
At first I thought it was the WD-40 livery for the Fiesta R5 again, but I don't think it is. The hood looks very similar though so it just might be a different livery. 

I imagine they would do all recordings with the same car? 

bogani said:
At first I thought it was the WD-40 livery for the Fiesta R5 again, but I don't think it is. The hood looks very similar though so it just might be a different livery. 

Uncertain, although it would make sense for the codriver runs to be pre-recorded.

bogani said:

Yes, it is the Fiesta R5. Just with a Sabelt livery instead of a WD-40 one.

bogani said:

Yes, it is the Fiesta R5. Just with a Sabelt livery instead of a WD-40 one.
Would probably make sense as Jon is normally the driver for the co driver calls and he’s driven the fiesta r5 in real life 

Rallystu2 said:
Didzis said:
Rallystu2 said:
I'd rather them focus on making a solid rally game as opposed to a internal combustion engine diagnostics simulator. Plus I play cockpit view anyway so blue black or white smoke doesn't necessarily appeal. 
I'd sooner see a spring poking through the bonnet of a car after sticking a wheel in a big hole. 
It's not like everyone making the game is only focusing on one thing. Making a solid rally game and adding damage effects or whatever aren't mutually exclusive.
Obviously, however I'd rather time and effort spent on more ''constant' and persistent effects. Weather , dust etc. And you wouldn't have people working on just smoke. They would be diverting resources from elsewhere. 
Either way I welcome any additional effects. I just think exhaust smoke is quite far down the list for me.
*takes notes* exhaust smoke is top of the list

I just played dirt rally using a wheel for the first time instead of a controller. Fallen in love all over again!

urgaffel said:
Rallystu2 said:
Didzis said:
Rallystu2 said:
I'd rather them focus on making a solid rally game as opposed to a internal combustion engine diagnostics simulator. Plus I play cockpit view anyway so blue black or white smoke doesn't necessarily appeal. 
I'd sooner see a spring poking through the bonnet of a car after sticking a wheel in a big hole. 
It's not like everyone making the game is only focusing on one thing. Making a solid rally game and adding damage effects or whatever aren't mutually exclusive.
Obviously, however I'd rather time and effort spent on more ''constant' and persistent effects. Weather , dust etc. And you wouldn't have people working on just smoke. They would be diverting resources from elsewhere. 
Either way I welcome any additional effects. I just think exhaust smoke is quite far down the list for me.
*takes notes* exhaust smoke is top of the list
*removing VR from priority, adds exhaust smoke instead*

realistic damage in car games is a big thing, many watch videos on it as much as normal gameplay sometimes more. would be a welcome addition.

I always find one of the best things codemasters games do over others is crash physics. Most other games when the car rolls or hits something it behaves in very odd ways, whereas codies games always seem to be very good. I always find it breaks the immersion when you get it wrong and the car just flips about awkwardly. Hopefully we can get some more realistic damage to go with those crashes, like bent wheels/geometry

I always find one of the best things codemasters games do over others is crash physics. Most other games when the car rolls or hits something it behaves in very odd ways, whereas codies games always seem to be very good. I always find it breaks the immersion when you get it wrong and the car just flips about awkwardly. Hopefully we can get some more realistic damage to go with those crashes, like bent wheels/geometry
I remember one of the first gameplay videos that popped up from D4, when an Opel Adam rolls over in helicopter view. It picked up momentum during the roll in a very impressive way. 

bogani said:
I remember one of the first gameplay videos that popped up from D4, when an Opel Adam rolls over in helicopter view. It picked up momentum during the roll in a very impressive way. 
You probably mean this one:

https://youtu.be/984Ogu2pbbM

The physics of collisions assumed a huge improvementcompared to previous delivery... Every roll of Dirt 4, is asrealistic or more, than in that video of the Opel Adams. CMwas always characterized by its great realism when it comes torepresent a credible damage. 

Rallystu2 said:
I just played dirt rally using a wheel for the first time instead of a controller. Fallen in love all over again!
Wait until you get to play DR2 with a wheel!
And for a while, the blessed few testers will be like "ah, you poor virgin" about any discussion of any other rally game prior to DR2  ;)

Dytut said:
Rallystu2 said:
Wait until you get to play DR2 with a wheel!
And for a while, the blessed few testers will be like "ah, you poor virgin" about any discussion of any other rally game prior to DR2  ;)
lol, sorry :D

Jepsertti said:
bogani said:
You probably mean this one:

https://youtu.be/984Ogu2pbbM
Indeed. Good job sir. 

I do find now using a wheel (finally I can utilize the rwd cars) but using anything with any power on the Finnish stages is a bit crazy with the amount of flight the cars get. Didn't notice on controller as I'm obviously going a fair bit quicker with a wheel. It's insane in Finland though. I think cars need ailerons and elevators instead of wheels. Crazy!

Rallystu2 said:
I do find now using a wheel (finally I can utilize the rwd cars) but using anything with any power on the Finnish stages is a bit crazy with the amount of flight the cars get. Didn't notice on controller as I'm obviously going a fair bit quicker with a wheel. It's insane in Finland though. I think cars need ailerons and elevators instead of wheels. Crazy!
Going from a controller to a wheel for the first time is a great feeling! I’ve been playing dirt rally a lot recently and I’ve finally got the hang of Sweden, and I’m actually enjoying it for a change!

Rallystu2 said:
Going from a controller to a wheel for the first time is a great feeling! I’ve been playing dirt rally a lot recently and I’ve finally got the hang of Sweden, and I’m actually enjoying it for a change!
I found Sweden relatively comfortable. It's a lot easier with a wheel where you have that extra element of control. I'm still digging my nose into the inside banks don't get me wrong but it's slot easier than with a controller. Finland however i now can't deal with. Feel like I have to brake a bunch before any crest to make a corner 50m down the stage! Otherwise I'm airborne at my braking zone and aiming for the trees

Rallystu2 said:
Rallystu2 said:
I found Sweden relatively comfortable. It's a lot easier with a wheel where you have that extra element of control. I'm still digging my nose into the inside banks don't get me wrong but it's slot easier than with a controller. Finland however i now can't deal with. Feel like I have to brake a bunch before any crest to make a corner 50m down the stage! Otherwise I'm airborne at my braking zone and aiming for the trees
Ehhm there is a small bug, the handbrake works during the car is airborne. So turn the wheel a bit and use the handbrake to turn the car.

Rallystu2 said:
Rallystu2 said:
Ehhm there is a small bug, the handbrake works during the car is airborne. So turn the wheel a bit and use the handbrake to turn the car.
Haha I'll try that. Shouldn't have to rely on bugs to keep the car on the stage though. Mostly it's been great with the wheel. The only other issue is Monte Carlo there's an unpredictable nature to understeer/oversteer regardless of surface changes. Some unusual responses but I think I'm using a wheel that isn't fully compatible with the game in the thrust master tmx (pc)

In other news... https://steamcharts.com/app/658700#All V-Rally 4 tanked hard. And we could have gotten WRC 8 :/