DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Ferranis said:
In other news... https://steamcharts.com/app/658700#All V-Rally 4 tanked hard. And we could have gotten WRC 8 :/
Not surprising, nobody wanted to play that.

Ferranis said:
In other news... https://steamcharts.com/app/658700#All V-Rally 4 tanked hard. And we could have gotten WRC 8 :/
Keep wondering who they aimed it at. They had a fairly decent driving model in WRC7, but then they apparently dumbed it down for V-Rally, but they didn't make it arcade so they didn't appeal to that market either. 

V rally worked in nostalgia factor only. Customers are heading more toward SIM based games atm. V Rally came out at a time nobody asked for it or as it turns out wanted it. And what the hell was that co driver yuck. The sounds were awful among other glaring visible issues that didn't encourage me to go anywhere near it. It's a shame because I still play wrc 7. But maybe just maybe they've taken a year off wrc but kept a team working on it so we get a truly superb wrc 8. 
Anyway. Leaves a nice gap for our DiRT Rally 2.0.

Gravel was a similar title, which I've recently played, though that claims to be full arcade, yet allows full car simulation level setup, which is a bit weird I thought.

Dytut said:
Ferranis said:
Keep wondering who they aimed it at. They had a fairly decent driving model in WRC7, but then they apparently dumbed it down for V-Rally, but they didn't make it arcade so they didn't appeal to that market either. 
I guess they figured that VR4 would be much cheaper to develop and so they could make a big profit. Big mistake. Half baked games are a thing of a past even on a niche rally market.

the thing is it still might of made money. regardless of whether we think its bad or not. also probably just alternating titles. like many studios do now days.or working on multiple titles at same time. just covering all the bases. not all people like sim.

Rallystu2 said:
V rally worked in nostalgia factor only. Customers are heading more toward SIM based games atm. V Rally came out at a time nobody asked for it or as it turns out wanted it. And what the hell was that co driver yuck. The sounds were awful among other glaring visible issues that didn't encourage me to go anywhere near it. It's a shame because I still play wrc 7. But maybe just maybe they've taken a year off wrc but kept a team working on it so we get a truly superb wrc 8. 
Customers are going that way because there hasn't been an actual arcade racer in years. Horizon came out with it's "simcade" physics and everything after thats tried to copy it. A lot of people want arcade racers, but instead companies keep making these crap half baked "The physics suck, so we'll call it arcade" games.
I wonder how well a new Burnout would sell, provided it was actually well made and not just a shit cash grab by EA.

JZStudios said:
Rallystu2 said:
Customers are going that way because there hasn't been an actual arcade racer in years. Horizon came out with it's "simcade" physics and everything after thats tried to copy it. A lot of people want arcade racers, but instead companies keep making these **** half baked "The physics suck, so we'll call it arcade" games.
I wonder how well a new Burnout would sell, provided it was actually well made and not just a **** cash grab by EA.

I loved burnout, I had 1, 4 and paradise, but I wouldn’t buy a new one now. I just don’t play that kind of racing game anymore.

Ive always lent toward authentic games so I've never played those kind of games except for motorstorm which was alot of fun. I know people like different things but it seems like on the whole there's a shift toward more authentic racing games in general. Which is great. Still can't get over how much I'm loving DR with the wheel right now. Give me dirt rally 2, now!

Dangerous Driving, an arcade racer from some former Burnout devs, comes out in February. The driving in their Danger Zone 2 was promising, not 100% there, but I’m looking forward to DD. 

I still play Paradise, and would buy a remastered-for-PC Takedown in an instant. 

Theres a nice renaissance of zero-G racers right now, but not enough arcade car racing games. Distance is more of a stunts score-chaser, and Racing Apex isn’t out yet. That’s all I can think of. 

JZStudios said:
Rallystu2 said:
Customers are going that way because there hasn't been an actual arcade racer in years. Horizon came out with it's "simcade" physics and everything after thats tried to copy it. A lot of people want arcade racers, but instead companies keep making these **** half baked "The physics suck, so we'll call it arcade" games.
I wonder how well a new Burnout would sell, provided it was actually well made and not just a **** cash grab by EA.

I think they're working on a new Burnout. I don't know if it could match Takedown, Revenge or Paradise, because those games have set the bar very high. But it probably won't be announced until the next E3, anyway. If they're working on it and they actually release it soon, it could compete with Dangerous Driving, it would be interesting to see which one will be the better game between the huge budget sequel made by a new team or the  indie spiritual successor made by Criterion's founders' new studio.

Oscar97 said:
JZStudios said:
Rallystu2 said:

I think they're working on a new Burnout. I don't know if it could match Takedown, Revenge or Paradise, because those games have set the bar very high. But it probably won't be announced until the next E3, anyway. If they're working on it and they actually release it soon, it could compete with Dangerous Driving, it would be interesting to see which one will be the better game between the huge budget sequel made by a new team or the  indie spiritual successor made by Criterion's founders' new studio.
Who would be working on it though? Criterion were taken off Burnout and put on NFS, which heavily throttled their options and they ended up making mediocre games. They started making a new original game again, which EA killed and if Criterion is still around they're just a support group for the other studios.
The Burnout Paradise "remaster" was done by a new "studio" called Blue Moon or something which is also former Burnout devs, but they aren't able to be contacted and sure haven't said anything about anything at all.
Three Fields is such a tiny dev team and to be frank the only things they've released so far are pretty mediocre test demos.

JZStudios said:
Rallystu2 said:

I loved burnout, I had 1, 4 and paradise, but I wouldn’t buy a new one now. I just don’t play that kind of racing game anymore.
I mean that's just like, your opinion man. You mean to tell me if I showed up with a copy of Burnout you'd be like Nu-uh, nope. That game sucks, I refuse to play it.
Besides, what other environment has there been other than the "simmy" crap arcade games like WRC and The Crew?
Not that this list is "extensive" and it's the first result I've found, but most games are almost a decade old.
https://www.slant.co/topics/1698/~best-pc-arcade-racing-games
This list is even worse, including Trials games and oddly R3E
https://en.softonic.com/solutions/what-are-the-best-pc-arcade-racing-games

I love that i actually get exercise in DR with the wheel, i mean, go for a hot run with the 6R4 or any spritely RWD car, if you keep it on the road it'll be because you were muscling it round trying to catch the swing with opposite lock, quickly.

JZStudios said:
Oscar97 said:
JZStudios said:
Rallystu2 said:

Who would be working on it though? Criterion were taken off Burnout and put on NFS, which heavily throttled their options and they ended up making mediocre games. They started making a new original game again, which EA killed and if Criterion is still around they're just a support group for the other studios.
The Burnout Paradise "remaster" was done by a new "studio" called Blue Moon or something which is also former Burnout devs, but they aren't able to be contacted and sure haven't said anything about anything at all.
Three Fields is such a tiny dev team and to be frank the only things they've released so far are pretty mediocre test demos.

JZStudios said:
Rallystu2 said:

I mean that's just like, your opinion man. You mean to tell me if I showed up with a copy of Burnout you'd be like Nu-uh, nope. That game sucks, I refuse to play it.
Besides, what other environment has there been other than the "simmy" **** arcade games like WRC and The Crew?
Not that this list is "extensive" and it's the first result I've found, but most games are almost a decade old.
https://www.slant.co/topics/1698/~best-pc-arcade-racing-games
This list is even worse, including Trials games and oddly R3E
https://en.softonic.com/solutions/what-are-the-best-pc-arcade-racing-games
I thought Blue Moon was an American Belgian style beer with hints of orange peel? It’s the best beer/thing to come out of America!

I definitely don’t think I’d buy a new burnout today. Even if it looked really good, I just don’t think I would enjoy playing it for more than a few hours, in which case I’m not going to spend £40 on it

I thought Blue Moon was an American Belgian style beer with hints of orange peel? It’s the best beer/thing to come out of America!

@RallyDriven lol thats generally referred to as a woman's beer over here!  

Funny thing about beer, I used to think that Europe where the only ones that could produce an authentic good beer, now days there are so many micro-breweries around, there are very, very few imported beers that I like.  There are over 6000 breweries now in the US and the big ones like Budweiser a declining in sales.  

gfRally said:

Funny thing about beer, I used to think that Europe where the only ones that could produce an authentic good beer, now days there are so many micro-breweries around, there are very, very few imported beers that I like.  There are over 6000 breweries now in the US and the big ones like Budweiser a declining in sales.  

The irony of something being labeled "woman's beer" in a nation that consumes Budweiser en masse.

:D 

Criterion have been doing a lot of work with Dice on Star Wars: Battlefront 1 and 2 as well as Battlefield 5 (and maybe Battlefield 1?) so they're quite busy with that stuff.

@JZStudios just because it's not realistic or full on arcade doesn't mean the physsics are broken :P You might not like the feel of it but the simcade games are made that way on purpose, it's not done by accident or because they're broken. Whether that is a good idea or not is a different question but unles the cars fall through the ground or get launched into the stratosphere I wouldn't say they're broken ;)

I should fix my old og xbox and play PGR 1. Loved that game. The backwards compatibility on 360 sucked for it sadly.

gfRally said:

I’m paying for you to come over to a beer festival in England and try some of our real ales!

Are we going to get some more DiRT news soon or are they waiting for that small indie game Red Dead to get out of the way?

gfRally said:

I’m paying for you to come over to a beer festival in England and try some of our real ales!

A free flight AND free beer?  When do I pack?