DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE CAPITALS. MY POINTS ARE MORE VALID WITH CAPITALS.

Joking aside, I think the 'box' for DR looks superb. Any members here famcy having a go at doing an alternative one? WMD did that with Project CARS with some superb results.

Joking aside, I think the 'box' for DR looks superb. Any members here famcy having a go at doing an alternative one? WMD did that with Project CARS with some superb results.

Bext boxart in the universe. It has cars, explosions, dirt, AND lightning on the cover.

Man that cover looks too much ARCADE! Not many realistic!

Srs tho we could have a 'contest' or something for cover design, since this is a game made also from players' feedback I guess it would be a good idea. Then it would go for votes to choose the one we like the most.

Good work on that box art Porkhammer, looks cute, lightning makes it a bit unrealistic though.
Not to mention the explosion..

Spokster said:
Good work on that box art Porkhammer, looks cute, lightning makes it a bit unrealistic though.
Not to mention the explosion..
Thanks, I spent a full 3 minutes on it. Definitely one of my life's greatest achievements.

There's no point in a competition because @porkhammer has already won
@Porkhammer got very close to perfection but Mr @justbiglee is probably raging as DiRT was spelled as DIRT. That's a big no no :P 

i
i
i

World RX posted a cool video of the Estering track in Germany using a drone. I think I would be very cool if in DiRT Rally the RX events would also have a drone cam preview of the track and also an option to keep the drone cam in replays all the time. 

On rally stages that may tricky but in self contained venues it should be possible for the team to enable that... 

Since DiRT Rally is a work in progress, there are a couple of (small?) graphics things that I have noticed that could be improved.  I am posting them here first to see what you guys think, not weather they need to focus on other parts, just if you think its something that you agree with, and I know you guys wont beat me up too much :)

1) Although cars get pretty dirty on some stages, I find it odd that dirt and dust doesn't fall on horizontal surfaces.  It sees that these areas should get some sort of film and grime on them. 

2) in Greece especially when the car passes, on a drone or a panning view, the screen fills up with dust (great effect!) but there is this odd grey area under the tires that just doesn't look right thru the dust, like the layers are mixed up.  I would think once the dust fills up the camera and you see the rear of the car for a bit that you should only see the dust in front of the camera not the grey behind the the dust (from camera angle).  Not sure if I am making sense, I'll post a pic of what I mean.  

Yeah its small stuff, but in the past its been the  small stuff is what made DiRT so great.  Really we don't need swaying foliage or spectators clapping or varied spectators or really any, as some call 'fluf' but when all this 'fluf' is put together it realty adds and ambiance to the overall game that adds to the realism.

As always I don't know what goes into programming this sort of stuff and its way easier to type than to implement, again beyond the technical side, if it was waving a magic wand, would you like to see these fixed or added?

gfRally said:

2) in Greece especially when the car passes, on a drone or a panning view, the screen fills up with dust (great effect!) but there is this odd grey area under the tires that just doesn't look right thru the dust, like the layers are mixed up.  I would think once the dust fills up the camera and you see the rear of the car for a bit that you should only see the dust in front of the camera not the grey behind the the dust (from camera angle).  Not sure if I am making sense, I'll post a pic of what I mean. 
I know what you mean, it's been bothering me a little bit, I try not to pay attention to it too much, but yeah, the dust from the tires seem to clip through the dust that's far behind the car, probably because of the dust slowly dissipating, I think it might be a sort of transparency that is being used there, I think that's what is causing the clipping.

Maybe there is some hope for console players?

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/612736384789561344?s=09

ARCADE and GRIP IS TOO HIGH jokes aside it seems the devs may have something in the works.. 

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/612248358766424064?s=09

@KickUp 's cheeky wink probably means the Germany update will be out this week! Just in time for my holiday :P
https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/612925131309117440?s=09

One more bit of DiRTy Gossip - if numbers from Steam Spy are at all reliable then DiRT Rally may be creeping up to 100,000 Early Access sales! 
I reckon that's a really good result! 
http://steamspy.com/app/310560

One more bit of DiRTy Gossip - if numbers from Steam Spy are at all reliable then DiRT Rally may be creeping up to 100,000 Early Access sales! 

so that's around 2.3 mill in sales then. :) not bad.

Evilsmurf said:

so that's around 2.3 mill in sales then. :) not bad.

Is that for DiRT 3 + DiRT 3 CE + DiRT Rally?

DiRT 3 sales were aided by Humble Bundles and owners of DiRT 3 were given the upgrade to Complete Edition. If we could find out how many copies has DiRT 3 sold on PC in first two months I don't think it would have been much more than DiRT Rally.

Then again DiRT Rally is an Early Access title, so players who don't want to be involved and those who like to buy boxed versions have not purchased yet.

Codies' games such as F1 2012 and F1 2013 have about 300 000 owners (if Steam Spy is to be believed). If you take into account the F1 overall fan base and that those games have been out for years, were subjected to sale promotions and are full releases then in my view 100,000 at this stage is really good.

Also, what is good (if Steam Spy numbers are correct to some extent) is that almost 50% of DiRT Rally owners played the game last week so it's keeping them engaged.

If the company directors are seeing DiRT Rally Early Access match early sales of their cash cow DiRT 3 then they must be thinking: we need to get this out to consoles! :D     

Dirt Rally cost £25.00

92750 people so far have bought/got copy's of Dirt Rally.

92750 x 25 = £2318750

some of them will be free copy's, so the figures are not correct but still... that's a tidy sum for an early access title :)

Not that I would ever want to know but as expensive as games are to produce, I hope they are on their way to making enough profit for management to smile.  Kinda like that Happy Wife is a Happy Life.

gfRally said:
Not that I would ever want to know but as expensive as games are to produce, I hope they are on their way to making enough profit for management to smile.  Kinda like that Happy Wife is a Happy Life.

They might/might not have made a profit yet, but still not bad!

Evilsmurf said:

Dirt Rally cost £25.00

92750 people so far have bought/got copy's of Dirt Rally.

92750 x 25 = £2318750

some of them will be free copy's, so the figures are not correct but still... that's a tidy sum for an early access title :)

I'm pretty sure Gabe Newell's gang at Steam took a chunk of that sum for themselves (30% or so?), but I'm sure it's a much welcome boost to Codies' finances.

Now it's time for the next-gen F1 game to bring the dough home...

How much would a console port cost? Paul's tweet is pretty promising, I would love to play it properly, right now I have to have it on lowest graphics settings, and rain and night conditions drop the frame rate to a point where I can barely play :(

How much would a console port cost? Paul's tweet is pretty promising, I would love to play it properly, right now I have to have it on lowest graphics settings, and rain and night conditions drop the frame rate to a point where I can barely play :(
Even in a lower resolution? There is a strange thing about the weather settings, the rain effect takes away much less FPS when it is on High than when it is on Low, at least on my PC so i use it on High. My other settings are mostly Low\Medium, with some on Ultra Low though.

Same problem here. About the cost I have no idea but should be some zeros there... But what I've seen DR is optimized for AMD graphic cards (at least is what is said on th AMD videos), so it should be more easy to run (I suppose) in this new consoles since both of them have AMD GPUs and CPUs. 

It would be awesome to see a port in the works, as that will prevent me throwing money at a new PC! I have managed to fight the urge so far, but with rallycross content looming it is becoming more difficult to resist the temptation...

Those sales figures are encouraging: I wonder what CM would class as a success (in sales terms) for DiRT Rally?