DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Would you say overall that handling is closer to DR or D4? Because I seem to remember the comments on D4 pre release saying that d4 was even more of an accurate simulation.

I get the weight of the cars in a sense that going over bumps and jumps felt more planted in D4 but the weight entering corners felt better in DR. Maybe I mean 'inertia' but I felt that in DR the car wanted to continue in a straight line under load whereas in D4 It seemed to stop on a sixpence

D4 handling had some good improvements, but unfortunately some horrendous issues in some places despite nice improvements in other areas.  I missed checking the RWD in D4 pre-release.

Let's just say all drivetrains were thoroughly checked out for DR2.

(And yes, closer to DR, but fixed ;) )

Closer to DR isn’t doing it the justice it deserves.

Remember when you first played DR and thought, damn, this is too hard.  But you played a bit more and it started to make sense and after a while, you loved it?

Its like being used to DR as your benchmark, but starting that process all over again.  You’ll think ‘damn, that’s too hard’, but then it’ll make perfect sense and you’ll love it

B) 

KevM said:
Closer to DR isn’t doing it the justice it deserves.

Remember when you first played DR and thought, damn, this is too hard.  But you played a bit more and it started to make sense and after a while, you loved it?

Its like being used to DR as your benchmark, but starting that process all over again.  You’ll think ‘damn, that’s too hard’, but then it’ll make perfect sense and you’ll love it

B) 
That sounds good to me. Christmas has officially been moved to February.

Yeah, I was thinking that as I typed it, so yes, like DR, only way better.
Sometimes I'm actually tempted to say it feels like Dirt 4, but with gravel that actually feels loose? 

For me it seems that current engine can only handle one or the other, tightened physics of D4 or more loose physics of Dirt Rally. DR2 looks like it is more towards D4 type of physics with more oversteer 

Flykas said:
For me it seems that current engine can only handle one or the other, tightened physics of D4 or more loose physics of Dirt Rally. DR2 looks like it is more towards D4 type of physics with more oversteer 
And oversteer/looseness was the missing link in D4 that hindered that game to feel great. Many things did really feel better than DR. 

bogani said:
ShoMavtos said:
I'm guessing he means the Renault, seeing as D4 is the only one with the R5 class.

And, if so, he's right; RWD in DR1 was infinitely better than in D4; it was scary. It required care.

Thinking about this earlier got me concerned about the AI we've seen so far. Part of what make DR the famous challenge that it was was just how strong the AI is and that any win felt like you'd really pulled something special. This was lost in D4 too IMO and I couldn't help but note the slow AI times in the videos we've seen so far - please bring back the 'near WR' level AI for DR2.
Completely agree. I was happy a lot of the time to get a top 3 stage time, as long as I was consistent across the whole rally. This made it really feel like a battle throughout the whole rally, trading top times and such.

In contrast, D4's biggest challenges came from the sponsor requirements. No sense of actual rivalry with the AI.

I don't want any mercy from the AI. Lets get this to be the "Dark Souls of racing games" again.
An AI percentage slider might be a good idea? 
I don't think so. Dirt 4 implemented this, but I think Dirt Rally had it right. No sliders, but you began on a lower class championship (Open Championship) which was still quite challenging for a new player. And every player had to begin on that level and actually work to unlock the higher difficulties. It didn't feel like a grind either, because each difficulty level was a genuine challenge. The difficulty curve was just perfect, I think.

Basically, unlocking higher AI after beating an already challenging AI is the way to go for a "hardcore" game in my opinion. And its also more satisfying.

And obviously this has a parallel to Dark Souls, haha. Dirt 4 lost that.

And holy heck, do you guys remember what it felt like to get your first few green sectors in Dirt Rally? Good god the feeling was amazing. You EANRED that sector time with the skill that the game demanded, nothing less was acceptable.

Oh man, this is getting me nostalgic.

ShoMavtos said:
bogani said:
ShoMavtos said:
I'm guessing he means the Renault, seeing as D4 is the only one with the R5 class.

And, if so, he's right; RWD in DR1 was infinitely better than in D4; it was scary. It required care.

Thinking about this earlier got me concerned about the AI we've seen so far. Part of what make DR the famous challenge that it was was just how strong the AI is and that any win felt like you'd really pulled something special. This was lost in D4 too IMO and I couldn't help but note the slow AI times in the videos we've seen so far - please bring back the 'near WR' level AI for DR2.
Completely agree. I was happy a lot of the time to get a top 3 stage time, as long as I was consistent across the whole rally. This made it really feel like a battle throughout the whole rally, trading top times and such.

In contrast, D4's biggest challenges came from the sponsor requirements. No sense of actual rivalry with the AI.

I don't want any mercy from the AI. Lets get this to be the "Dark Souls of racing games" again.
I don't think so. Dirt 4 implemented this, but I think Dirt Rally had it right. No sliders, but you began on a lower class championship (Open Championship) which was still quite challenging for a new player. And every player had to begin on that level and actually work to unlock the higher difficulties. It didn't feel like a grind either, because each difficulty level was a genuine challenge. The difficulty curve was just perfect, I think.

Basically, unlocking higher AI after beating an already challenging AI is the way to go for a "hardcore" game in my opinion. And its also more satisfying.

Yeah sure, but when you start to be 30-40 seconds faster than the hardest AI over a stage you need to have a way to up the difficulty to still keep it interesting? 

I thought the difficulty of the leading cars was about right in dirt rally across all championships one thing that wasn't great was the monumental gaps between podium and midtable cars. Like 2 minutes gap on a 6 stage rally

Flykas said:

I don’t really agree.  I think when the guys are setting the physics model, they have to consider an element of accessibility.  We’re not all Seb Loeb, so the game allows for that.  
From what I have seen of the current engine, they can pretty much do whatever they like with it.  One of the test-builds we tried had the car making a little boy out of me in an accurate way.  I couldn’t confidently push it hard enough to be within 70% of its limit or capabilities.  It had more grip and more brake power than I could use, but without feeling heavy or glued to the road.  It was awesome - that is all....

bogani said:
ShoMavtos said:
bogani said:
ShoMavtos said:

Yeah sure, but when you start to be 30-40 seconds faster than the hardest AI over a stage you need to have a way to up the difficulty to still keep it interesting? 
I'm hoping they can find a way to make AI sector times update regularly with patches (if not making it dynamic) to be based around the averages set by users, with first positions always being based on a percentage of record times. 

I would really like some dynamic times from the different drivers. Like some are good on tarmac but not on snow, or someone is good on gravel and snow but abysmal on tarmac. And it should fir with the nationalities of the drivers. It's completely unnecessary of course but would be really cool and immersive.

bogani said:
ShoMavtos said:
bogani said:
ShoMavtos said:

I'm hoping they can find a way to make AI sector times update regularly with patches (if not making it dynamic) to be based around the averages set by users, with first positions always being based on a percentage of record times. 
Not sure if that's how it worked in DR, but that would be ideal.

I would really like some dynamic times from the different drivers. Like some are good on tarmac but not on snow, or someone is good on gravel and snow but abysmal on tarmac. And it should fir with the nationalities of the drivers. It's completely unnecessary of course but would be really cool and immersive.
Hundred times this - I'll start an 'Offline gameplay' thread akin to the ranking one for this chat.

bogani said:
ShoMavtos said:
bogani said:
ShoMavtos said:

I wouldn't be worried about that specifically. They have a world champion e-sports driver to help them give a pretty good reference.

Hundred times this - I'll start an 'Offline gameplay' thread akin to the ranking one for this chat.
The only downside I see with this is that once you master all surfaces yourself, you will be at a huge advantage as you know that the other drivers will drop points on their weaker surfaces.

I really don't know how they would make a career mode appeal to me. Imo it's mostly just a gimmicky grind that never really manages to catch my interest. 

one thing id personally love to be fixed and this has been going on for 10 years plus in codie games is starting a game in full screen everytime. this been around for so long and its frustrating. alt enter can work sometimes it doesnt.

May i ask @ChristinaMc
Will we have this time option for teammate? in DR2.0
and will The Ford Focus RS Rally 2001 be again with 1999 test livery, or this time uses other Colins livery (the 2002 is without Martini logo, like in CMR3)?

ShoMavtos said:

Alvaro in BMW begs to differ.