DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Ok, that was just a joke. I don't care about the dirt colour at all, but it's good to see it's actually close to the real thing.
However, if the stage is indeed Baranowo, it wouldn't make much sense to cut it in half, it's only 16 Km long. Which makes me think, maybe the game will feature 2 full stages per rally, with a short one and a longer one that's split in two.
Something completely unrelated, maybe they're bringing the photo mode from Onrush to DR2.0? That would honestly be great, but I don't know if it would be easily feasible.

Far from real, Argentina was far from being real it was a joke
Oh yeah, Argentina was one of the other pretty poor ones. But it was bits of real stages stitched together. Felt very unnatural when they got it wrong and tried squeezing two very different terrains into one stage. 

I think they just base then on features from real life in WRC7, except for the super special stages, which are meant to be accurate.

Ok so I have a theory about the 28 stages, Stephane Prevot was talking about. If @versedi is right, and the stage we saw first isn't Baranowo, it means that we can have two different long stages for DiRT Rally 2.0. I would imagine that they will also be available in reverse, so you practically have 4 stages to record pacenotes for. Why 4? Now here's a thing. Pace notes recorded for stage run in one direction, don't actually apply well for it, if its run in other direction. That's the thing I learned when I have done some pacenotes for myself, for RFactor. You couldn't just simply "mirror" the pacenotes, because some corners were different when run in reverse. It sounds strange, but it's actually true, believe me. Now let's move to the 28 number it's a weird number, because it doesn't divide by 6 nor by 8. But it actually divides by 4 (4 stages per location) and it gives us 7. I know that we are expecting possibly 8 locations, but maybe some of the weren't ready to record, so they got S.Prevot to record for the first 7, and maybe they will bring him back for the last one. Ok, so that's what I think, let me know if I missed something 

If they're doing 4 stages per location, it also bodes well for any returning rallies from the original DR. For example, they would have the Panzerplatte, military base, stage, allowing people to enjoy their remastered favorite, but they could also add Mittelmosel, through the vineyards. This would, effectively, allow them to charge for returning locations (because there is new stuff that took hard work), while simultaneously allowing them to save some work with upgraded DR1 assets.

Just taking the time to admire the fact that this is the guy consulting on Dirt Rally 2.0

Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-P3GwYEbAk

If they're doing 4 stages per location, it also bodes well for any returning rallies from the original DR. For example, they would have the Panzerplatte, military base, stage, allowing people to enjoy their remastered favorite, but they could also add Mittelmosel, through the vineyards. This would, effectively, allow them to charge for returning locations (because there is new stuff that took hard work), while simultaneously allowing them to save some work with upgraded DR1 assets.
That's not what he means by "4 stages per location" - they will do pacenotes for the 'standard' 2 stages per location and the reverse versions.

I'd love to see more KMs for DR1 locations too, but would happily just see the DR1 stages back in at some point. I can't wait to try the new 
~120km they will presumably have in DR2 but fear it will get old quickly.

DLC 'seasons' will alleviate this slightly, but it's frustrating to think how much work Codies have put into locations for the last three games if none of it is to be reused IMO. I really hope all 6 locations from DR1 make it into DR2 someway somehow, as every single one of them was a masterpiece.

@ShoMavtos agree; it's our gain for sure, but such a pity funding is so hard to come by these days; Jon and Osian Pryce are the two most talented young drivers in the UK IMO but neither can find funding for R5 level drives unfortunately. 

ShoMavtos said:
Just taking the time to admire the fact that this is the guy consulting on Dirt Rally 2.0

Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-P3GwYEbAk
Meh, you should have seen the handbrake turn I did in the snow earlier this year, now that was real driving

That's not what he means by "4 stages per location" - they will do pacenotes for the 'standard' 2 stages per location and the reverse versions.

I'd love to see more KMs for DR1 locations too, but would happily just see the DR1 stages back in at some point. I can't wait to try the new 
~120km they will presumably have in DR2 but fear it will get old quickly.

DLC 'seasons' will alleviate this slightly, but it's frustrating to think how much work Codies have put into locations for the last three games if none of it is to be reused IMO. I really hope all 6 locations from DR1 make it into DR2 someway somehow, as every single one of them was a masterpiece.
You are right sir. I misread the post. They're doing it exactly like DR1: two long stretches of road, forward and reverse, are the long stages, divide each long road by 2 and we have the shorter stages.

Being like this, I would like to see DiRT Rally's locations return but I'd like to see different roads. Otherwise, as good as DR1's stages, I'm not 100% sold on DLC with those roads again. Unless they really amp them up in quality.

as long as sweet lambs in im happy :)                            

dgeesi0 said:
I have a feeling Wales and Germany will be the rallies of the two seasons. Wales because British dev, popular and a great opportunity to showcase terrain degradation. Germany because needs more tarmac and Jon Armstrong's R5 experience in Germany would be a good help for the team.

dgeesi0 said:
I hope it’s not. I want new stages. Not ones we have already seen. 

dgeesi0 said:

New stages would be nice, but the previous ones would be so much more cost-effective it would be a shame for them to go to waste if the handling is as improved as you suggest.

dgeesi0 said:
Well, maybe they can do both. One long stage would be Hafren-Sweet Lamb (as in DiRT Rally) and the other would be new (if Wales is in I would personally like Brening)

dgeesi0 said:

New stages would be nice, but the previous ones would be so much more cost-effective it would be a shame for them to go to waste if the handling is as improved as you suggest.
It would also be a shame for them to rerelease them as paid content, but then again they have a habit of doing exactly that...
What they could do, however, is release them as paid content but give them for free to DR owners.

Oscar97 said:
dgeesi0 said:

It would also be a shame for them to rerelease them as paid content, but then again they have a habit of doing exactly that...
What they could do, however, is release them as paid content but give them for free to DR owners.
They could, but updating them to the new standards would take time and I'd be happy to pay for that.  

Oscar97 said:
dgeesi0 said:

They could, but updating them to the new standards would take time and I'd be happy to pay for that.  
Yes, maybe modifying the stages to feature terrain degradation and recording the pacenotes again is too much effort for something that a pretty big portion of the playerbase would get for free. It just doesn't feel right having existing content released as paid DLC for the next game without having to be remade from the ground up.
Then again it wouldn't matter to me, I don't even own DR. :D

But didn't Codies get into hot water for futuring real stages without obtaining FIA's blessing? Wouldn't it make it impossible to bring them back as DLC?

But didn't Codies get into hot water for futuring real stages without obtaining FIA's blessing? Wouldn't it make it impossible to bring them back as DLC?

Copyright

Isn't

That

Simple

There's at least one stage that's in WRC in the new game (El Condor) and one which was used until this year (Baranowo). Quite possibly without WRC cars and liveries (see the Polo in DR1) using the stages is deemed to not infringe on that copyright.

Oscar97 said:

However, if the stage is indeed Baranowo, it wouldn't make much sense to cut it in half, it's only 16 Km long. 

Missed this comment before, but it was run in a 20ish KM configuration in 2016, so I imagine they're using that one and splitting it in two. I prefer the idea of two 15-16km ones obviously, and the 2017 config has an interesting extra section at the start, but bearing in mind it seems the 16km of El Condor has been split into two, I'd be surprised if this slightly longer stage hasn't gotten the same treatment.

Oscar97 said:

However, if the stage is indeed Baranowo, it wouldn't make much sense to cut it in half, it's only 16 Km long. 

Missed this comment before, but it was run in a 20ish KM configuration in 2016, so I imagine they're using that one and splitting it in two. I prefer the idea of two 15-16km ones obviously, and the 2017 config has an interesting extra section at the start, but bearing in mind it seems the 16km of El Condor has been split into two, I'd be surprised if this slightly longer stage hasn't gotten the same treatment.
I would still prefer, if DR2 will actually support longer stages. If they have two 10km stages, that are part of a single one in real life, this single 20km stage would be real nice too. Then some locations would have one super-long, two long, and four short stages.
If they bring back DR1 locations as DLC, this would also add a new layer. Finally driving the whole of Finland/Germany/Monte as one long run requiring enduring concentration.